Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone with the SFE pkg. has any mpg ratings to share? Folks are reporting some great mpg numbers already and I'd love to know how the SFE differs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone with the SFE pkg. has any mpg ratings to share? Folks are reporting some great mpg numbers already and I'd love to know how the SFE differs.
If I ever get my SFE sedan I will be glad to post results on fuelly.

My Saturn just got 46.7! :cool:
Http://www.fuelly.com/driver/nels/sl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received my SFE on Wednesday of this week. I'll send you mpg results after my next tank. It may be a while, I'm just driving around town.

See ya
Larry

·
Registered
16 Posts
My SFE is going 19 mpg! SUCKS! And it's in the shop for the second time for oil leaks!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My SFE is going 19 mpg! SUCKS! And it's in the shop for the second time for oil leaks!!!
To bad about the oil leaks. How do you drive it? I have the 5 speed and my lifetime average is 39.1 mpg, that's better than the EPA highway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
38.1 on the last fill. Details in the link in my sig.

or here:
Tuco (Ford Fiesta) | Fuelly
I wish I could do that in the sig.

This is with my wife driving, and she is no hypermiler. I expect the average will improve as the car gets some miles on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MPG Anyone?

Been about 3 months since this post. Curious to see how the SFE's are doing as far as MPG.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been about 3 months since this post. Curious to see how the SFE's are doing as far as MPG.
See the "Tuco" link in my post above for my fuelly.com page with all our results so far. This is my wife driving, and only four fill-ups to date. I'm not impressed yet. We have not made any long highway runs yet though. Longest trip so far has been about 40 miles one way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's probably not far to be expecting to great of a mileage report this time of year anyway. The colder winter weather always seems pull it down. I'll bet when summer comes back you'll see some good numbers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Update -- with the warmer weather and the engine now "broken in" my wife got 40.9 mpg on her last tank. I still do better in my 96 Saturn 5 speed, but this is good for her style of driving. I also record the average speed for each tank. The last tank was 43 mph. She had a 45 mile drive (one way) to work at a different location twice this week. That helps. Full record here:
2011 Ford Fiesta SE Gas Mileage (Tuco) - EcoModder.com
or here:
Tuco (Ford Fiesta) | Fuelly

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update -- with the warmer weather and the engine now "broken in" my wife got 40.9 mpg on her last tank...
FYI, I just averaged 42.8mpg on a round-trip to Northwestern in Evanston, mainly highway driving @ 65mph with city traffic on both ends. While I don't have the SFE package and my driving is mainly city, I have averaged about 33.5mpg @ 4800miles which is comparable to your figures. I too use Mobil gas (regular) exclusively although our blend here in Milwaukee may be slightly different than yours out-state. Hopefully, the summer will see the average rise somewhat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
FYI, I just averaged 42.8mpg on a round-trip to Northwestern in Evanston, mainly highway driving @ 65mph with city traffic on both ends. While I don't have the SFE package and my driving is mainly city, I have averaged about 33.5mpg @ 4800miles which is comparable to your figures. I too use Mobil gas (regular) exclusively although our blend here in Milwaukee may be slightly different than yours out-state. Hopefully, the summer will see the average rise somewhat.
I am waiting for a long highway opportunity to coax the numbers up a bit. Our longest trips so far have been in the 40-45 mile range. I am sure I could do a bit better because I try to be more mpg conscious. My wife just drives -- skinny pedal makes it go, square pedal makes it stop. The 40 mpg figure is pretty good for her, and a far cry from the 23-25 mpg average she used to get with her 03 impala (might break 30 on a cross country trip). We are happy as clams with the extra 15 mpg as gas prices approach $4 (and may go higher). If anyone is interested, here are the numbers for my 96 Satty:
Peanut (Saturn SL) | Fuelly
or
1996 Saturn SL Gas Mileage (Peanut) - EcoModder.com

The numbers I am achieving with a 15 year old car with 120k on the odo sometimes make me disappointed in the new "SFE" Fiesta. I long for more improvement. I think we set our sights too low when we call the 40 mpg target a good achievement. I want my baby diesel Fiesta ;-)
However, these numbers are pretty cost-effective, considering that the initial investment in a hybrid or small diesel would take a long time to work out in increased mpg.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the SFE package will only help on long drives and not improve MPG much for daily commuting. That's why the Highway MPG rating is only higher and not the City on the sticker.

On my last fill-up (non-SFE), I got 40.8 MPG driving 75 - 80 MPH on a 260 miles round trip. My Fusion would average 27 MPG for the same trip. I'm a happy camper with my MPG.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As of today, I just logged 1000 miles on my SFE silver hatchback. I had never reset the mpg display and it is steadily climbing (was at 37.1 as I pulled up at home today).

However, I have an 85+ mile a day work commute (to/from) in mainly hwy travels. When I filled up after a week, I only had to add a little over 7 gallons in the 12 gallon tank.

Mile to empty was showing at 529! Given the math in that - it looks like I should be getting 44mpg on this tank alone. I think this is a pretty good estimate, but will give it another 1000 miles on the mpg display to hit its mark.

Driving on full, I did 42+ miles this morning and the needle didn't budge. It moved a bit on the return trip - should have filled it up to get another reading. I am hitting a steady 65mph at about 2500rpms with these results.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the SFE package will only help on long drives and not improve MPG much for daily commuting. That's why the Highway MPG rating is only higher and not the City on the sticker.
Yes, exactly. The SFE mods are pretty tame compared to what I have seen on the Eco-Modder site. I believe it will show a difference on a long highway run, but we have not had that opportunity yet. A 40-50 mile trip is about the longest so far. This needs to change . . . . :cool:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Can Anyone please post PICs of the "underbody Shields" and the "Blockers on Lower Grill" on the SFE package

Im Curious to see these parts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove my wife's Fiesta on a round trip from my home to New Orleans this past week. On the way down there we averaged 40.1 with a good bit of city driving in the Shreveport area one night. I filled up in Baton Rouge and did not fill up again until we were on our way back to Texas in Bossier City. Average was 41.7 MPG. This was with an evening of driving in the French Quarter and some other in town areas and a fully loaded car(4 people, luggage and all the beads my daughters caught at the St. Pats & St Josephs day parades.) Ran the AC the whole trip. 429.9 miles on 10.3 gallons. I had the cruise set on 70 when on the interstate highways.

·
Registered
173 Posts
mpg vs. old Saturn

Comparing gas mileage to much older cars can be kind of hit-or-miss. My Fiesta (5-speed manual) gets noticeably better gas mileage than my 1987 Dodge Colt did -- that car had a 1.5L8-valve engine, 67 hp, 4-speed manual, weighed under 2000 pounds, but maxed out at 35 on the highway and 27 in suburban driving. It was very unsophisticated, and by 2011 standards was surely a deathtrap -- flimsy body, no airbags, mediocre handling. Times change. The Fiesta hatch has more cargo space, is much, much quieter, handles much, much better, has lower emissions, but also weighs 550 pounds more.

So if you compare for cars of yore that weigh 500 pounds less, have smaller engines, and have more lax emission controls, the Fiesta will not always win. But in my case, it still won anyways.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts