Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my new fiesta (had it about a week) and am wondering if anyone else thinks their engine revvs high in low-speed situations (parking lots, near stop signs, etc.) ? I barely have to touch the pedal and start moving and the engine is going at a pretty high RPM (2.5-3k) before switching gears (which is as smooth as the mp3 player voice actors suggested).

I'm wondering if this is normal, will correct itself because of the 'break-in' period, or is something I should be concerned about/can get fixed?

·
Banned
528 Posts
This is not new technology...

Hi,

I just got my new fiesta (had it about a week) and am wondering if anyone else thinks their engine revvs high in low-speed situations (parking lots, near stop signs, etc.) ? I barely have to touch the pedal and start moving and the engine is going at a pretty high RPM (2.5-3k) before switching gears (which is as smooth as the mp3 player voice actors suggested).

I'm wondering if this is normal, will correct itself because of the 'break-in' period, or is something I should be concerned about/can get fixed?
I know in the commercial trucks that I have driven with "autoshift" gearboxes a slight release of pressure on the accelerator pedal will allow it to shift into the next gear.

This technology is not new Eaton Fuller commercial truck transmissions have had this technology for 15 years at least. I would say 40% of your big rig/over the road trucks operated by commercial carriers are now "autoshift".

They use the same 10 and 13 speed gearboxes with automated shifting.

Someone posted here that they went to their dealer and had their ECU flashed and it made it shift smoother and MPG's improved.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have an automatic and was having trouble for the first few weeks with the car surging in very slow traffic. When I first got the fiesta, I seriously underestimated how sensitive the accelerator pedal is. now I really lightened how I brush the pedal with my foot and I have stopped the surging for the most part. So at least in my case, I have reduced the awkward surges at low speeds.

My old car had a "dumb" transmission, meaning I did all the work, really, and this car is not like that at all. It's all drive-by-wire as they say on jalopnik - pedals and wheels are really kind of like computer keys, you're just turning and pushing them to send the command to a computer now, which then carries out the task. You're not really driving the car like you used to. So see if you can just touch the pedal lightly, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
From what I understand the automatic transmission optimizes MPG. It adjusts frequently at lower MPH like you would for a manual transmission if you were focused on MPG.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts