Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suddenly have a drain on my battery. Saturday afternoon the car was fine, that night I noticed it took a little longer than normal to star . Didn't think much of it, maybe the hatch was held partly open while I was in the gym. Went out Sunday morning and the battery was dea . Charged it and ran some errands. Went out about 6 hours later and it was dead again. Charged it and showed my wife how to disconnect the negative battery cable so she could get home from work. Started fine after sitting several hours with the neg cable unhooked. I tested the battery when I got home and it showed about 12.7 volts.

I just ran a draw test and found that I have a constant draw of about .2-.3 amps. That drops significantly when I pull fuse f26, battery control module- battery saver and horn. I understand that the battery saver or meant to turn off lights left on. When I lock the car, all the lights have been on. Could it be thinking something is one and constantly monitoring for it? Or is the horn suddenly drawing power? If I pull this fuse, will the lights still shut off when I lock the car?

Any help would be appreciated. The ford dealerships around here won't take cars after about 330, so its hard to get it in to them with work and school. I'd rather do it myself

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would get a load test on the battery done, many auto parts places will do this for free because you are very likely to buy a new battery from them when it fails. I say this because it sounds like a bad battery or maybe bad charging system.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Funny, Icame out yesterday and battery was so dead keyfob wouldn't open door and I had driven door day before. I didn't leave anything on, jumped it, drove to work and 8 hours later started right up....battery window has a red dot, need to test it, good luck with yours!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Red dot means replace, not test. Green dot with your condition would be a test. That is unless Ford uses a different color code to all the other batteries I've ever had (which is possible since this is my first Ford).

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I had it load tested, tested good and the red dot was gone, nothing in window at all, keeping my jumper in the car just in case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been a while since I've been here but had the same problem of my battery not keeping a charge .
Even went so far as to put a 10 watt solar panel on rear deck to keep it charged .
After searching for answers I finally came upon a solution
Disconnect both battery leads and then clamp them together for 15 minutes at minimum .
this will drain all the capacitors in the vehicle and reset everything .
reconnect everything back up
{might as well make sure the battery ground to frame is good I had to remove the paint for better
contact}
Been months since I did it , no more dead battery and vehicle is back in the garage

·
Registered
136 Posts
I havent had any noticeable battery issues, but my car is in the shop for the powershift transmission to be worked on and they said the battery was failing certain load tests and had faulty cells, they replaced it under warranty. Not sure if its related but figured Id chime in considering the dealerships find.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Red dot of death, replace.

Sounds like something wrong with battery to me simply because the charging system is running the car. Battery age might not even be a big factor, I've replaced a few brand new batteries that get red dots, it's just not worth the hassle IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had to have two batteries replaced,,the car was dead in the water, this was all in the first few months that i had the car and i thought it was from leaving the hatch open but im leaning towards the cheap batteries that cam with the car

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Leaving the hatch open reminds me of a similar experience I had.

A customer had a dead battery problem. In the shop, everything checked out, even no draw.

Finally found out the problem. His trunk light had a mercury switch which works by angle. He parked his car on a sloping driveway. Trunk light on. Dead battery. Adjusted switch, no more dead battery.
So yes, leaving the hatch open can lead to a dead battery. Install a switch on your hatch light if you have to leave the hatch open.
don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread, because I have the same problem as the original poster: battery seems to be draining when car is off. I tested current out of battery with car off and found it drawing 220mA. I saw that drop off when I pulled (under hood, 2011 model) fuse F32, BCM – battery saver, horn. Any idea why this would be happening? I can leave that fuse out, but I guess I would lose my horn. Would anything else be affected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any luck hummv33? My daughters car started doing this out of the blue in March this year. Thought it was battery since it had been 3 years. Got new battery still a drain. It is in the shop again and they want to charge 460.00 just to diagnose it?!?! I am about to just keep negative disconnected until need to drive :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
I concluded that everything in my car was working as designed. The current draw that I observed (~250mA) is only present for a few minutes. After those few minutes, the draw is down to just a few mA. I think the dead battery that I had was the result of changing my headlights, when I repeatedly turned on and off the lights to debug an issue with the lights. I guess all that time I had the lights on (plus sitting for the weekend) was enough to kill the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately we have no idea and not sure what to do. They want to charge 350.00 just to diagnose :( it's a nightmare .. battery goes dead every night. (New battery)

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're electrically inclined, you can diagnose by monitoring the current draw from the battery (put a multimeter in series with the battery) and pull one fuse at a time. When the fuse from the offending circuit is pulled, you'll see the current reading on the multimeter drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea. A person we know did that and even disconnected all stuff with fuses and still had a drain. :( So went to shop for them to see but now it's like I'll just put a manual switch in to disconnect the battery I guess :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts