Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It all started when I took the car to get the windows tinted. The tech tinting my windows left the a/c on and had the key on to roll the windows up and down as needed. It ended up draining the battery. We jumped the car to get it started and when I drove it home the transmission would no longer shift correctly. Did some research and found out the car has serious issues with the TCM and that they are so bad Ford extended the warranty 10 more years to the year 2021 or 150,000 miles. Fortunately the car only has 77k miles on it so Ford did the repair at no cost. After the TCM was replaced we ended up having another issue with the car. The battery will no longer stay charged. I thought at first it needed a new battery so had it replaced but the issue continued. I tested the battery for a draw and it has a 1.25 amp constant draw. My wife called me 2 times to come to her job and jump the car and something very strange happened. She managed to get in the car but when she attempted to start it nothing happened. When I got there and hooked up the cables the car tried to start without anyone pushing any buttons both times. I talked with a mechanic friend of mine and he said maybe the relay for the push button start is stuck and drawing the current. Also after the Ford dealer did the TCM replacement the radio no longer works properly. Only the radio, clock, and sirus radio work but the sync, bluetooth and connecting to any phone no longer works. If you press aux on the dashboard the sync pops up for a second or 2 and then immediately disappears. When you press the phone button on the dashboard nothing at all happens. The battery reads at 13.26 volts when running and drops to 13.1 when under a load. I am at a total loss here and would greatly appreciate any helpful input that could helps us figure out what we need to do. Thank you kindly in advance.

Registered
Definitely call the service advisor at the dealership or Ford Motor Company to report this happening after the TCM replacement. They did something wrong.

I know when I took my SES in for service & something was wrong after I immediately reported it & they said to go back & they'd make it right. This happened on 4 or 5 occasions. I guess it all depends on your service department & their customer service. I'd had bad & good luck over the past 8 years of the car's life.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being the apim which is an electronic module that is located under the dash near the glove box. I indeed did end up calling the Ford dealer service department and told them that this did not happen until after they replaced the TCM. They told me to bring the car in and they would trouble shoot the issue. As I stated they told me the apim has a short in it which was draining the battery. Unfortunately I had no way of proving that it was shorted out when they did the other work. I spoke to the mechanic and was told I needed to get another apim for my car and that he disconnected the one in my car so the battery would no longer drain. It costs $400+ for a new apim so I found one at a local junk yard. I installed it and was very disappointed. By the way the apim module controls the sync, bluetooth and phone operations of the radio and without it you only have an am-fm radio. After installing the apim I ran into the next issue. None of the functions worked on the radio after I installed it except the radio just like it was unplugged. I called the ford dealer and was told I needed to have it programmed. The cost was $139 but he said we will only charge you $65. I am most certain that they caused the short in the apim but I have no actual way of proving 100% that they did it. Anyway everything is fine on the car now and hopefully it will stay this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts