Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have downloaded and read the Fiesta owner's manual in anticipation of getting my car, and there is one thing I cannot find with regards to the remote locking/unlocking of the car. A question to all you who have a Fiesta: Does the car provide an audible beep of the horn whenever you lock it using the key fob? I know the lights flash as a visual cue, but is there any audible acknowledgement from the car that it is locked.

I was able to program this feature for my Lancer, and it is very nice to be able to walk away from the car, press the button on the keyfob to lock it, and hear the horn beep without looking back to see the lights flash.

So...will the Fiesta beep me?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
it beeps if you press the lock button on the remote twice within a few seconds.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it beeps if you press the lock button on the remote twice within a few seconds.
Excellent. That's what I wanted to know. An audible beep from the car gives me better peace of mind when I lock it as I'm walking away.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Excellent. That's what I wanted to know. An audible beep from the car gives me better peace of mind when I lock it as I'm walking away.
I just look for the lights to flash. I don't appreciate peoples horns going off all the time and I'm sure my neighbors, likewise, don't want to hear mine go off every time I lock the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This thread brings up a question I've had since we got our Fiesta. Our '05 Focus ZX3 SES had a red button on the keyfob to sound an alarm in the event you were in trouble. Since there's no such button on the IA keyfobs we have now, is there an alarm feature on it and I just don't see it? If it's mentioned in the owner's manual I haven't seen it.

Harry :confused:

·
Registered
947 Posts
This thread brings to mind how much I HATE that "horn beep" when locking a car. I have been just in front of the affected vehicle too many times when the driver/idiot strolls away, and with their back turned, locks the cars (blasts the horn) just when I'm in front of the car. It scares the crap out of me and hurts my ears. Most of the time it's not intentional, it's just done by thoughtless nincompoops who "need reassurance".

I say "GROW UP!". You're not a child any more! You've been crippled by immature manufacturers who (when car alarms first came out) thought it was cool to show off to everyone that they had a car alarm. Well, it's nice to have an alarm, but it's stupid to blast the horn just to indicate that it's armed. Have some consideration for the other people around you, and for the people who live nearby who have to listen to all the neighborhood idiots lock their cars...

Well, I've got that off my chest! :eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:confused: I think it's a convenience to hear the car beep when it is locked. I don't understand how some people think it is a major nuisance to hear one quick chirp. It's not like I'm cruising down your street with the windows open and the sound system cranked up so loud it makes the car rattle. Now that is a major nuisance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
This thread brings to mind how much I HATE that "horn beep" when locking a car. I have been just in front of the affected vehicle too many times when the driver/idiot strolls away, and with their back turned, locks the cars (blasts the horn) just when I'm in front of the car. It scares the crap out of me and hurts my ears. Most of the time it's not intentional, it's just done by thoughtless nincompoops who "need reassurance".

I say "GROW UP!". You're not a child any more! You've been crippled by immature manufacturers who (when car alarms first came out) thought it was cool to show off to everyone that they had a car alarm. Well, it's nice to have an alarm, but it's stupid to blast the horn just to indicate that it's armed. Have some consideration for the other people around you, and for the people who live nearby who have to listen to all the neighborhood idiots lock their cars...

Well, I've got that off my chest! :eek:
it really doesn't beep that loud.... is it that big of a deal?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Some car's horns are louder than others, much louder! And it seems that the louder they are, the less likely they are to be "one quick chirp". I think aftermarket alarm systems are the worst offenders. But I've heard plenty of stock "one quick chirps" that are loud enough to hurt my ears when I'm anywhere near the vehicle. This is especially true inside parking structures.

Whenever I've seen these threads, I always see someone saying, "I like to hear the horn beep without looking back to see the lights flash". You'll notice that they don't stay close to the car to hear it (because it's too loud for them too), they walk a ways away before "locking" the car. And "without looking back" also implies that someone else can be very close to the car when they hit the lock button, thus blasting an innocent bystander.

Most people don't intentionally do this, they're just thoughtless and addicted to their convenience ("it really doesn't beep that loud...").

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll notice that they don't stay close to the car to hear it (because it's too loud for them too), they walk a ways away before "locking" the car. And "without looking back" also implies that someone else can be very close to the car when they hit the lock button, thus blasting an innocent bystander.
You're making a lot of assumptions. The beep on my Lancer is not loud at all, and I will usually lock it within 3 feet of exiting the car as I'm walking away. "Blasting an innocent bystander" is a long stretch, don't you think? Unless the car has an air horn I don't see it ever "blasting" anyone. Some people have already complained on this forum that the Fiesta's horn is too weak, therefore I don't see it ever being able to "blast" anyone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think the horn honking when you lock the car is annoying. My neighbors car does that and it is loud enough to wake me up from a sound sleep. I haven't heard a Lancer's or a Ford Fiesta's "beep", but if it's anything like my neighbors Ford or the Ford's (and pretty much any domestic car) I have driven as a rental car, it is too loud. I mean....Do you really have to announce to the world that you just locked your door to feel secure??? My BMW's "beep" is just the sounds of all the locks on my doors locking. I can hear it fine from a few yards away. It is not loud enough to desturb anyone, let alone wake my neighbors up. You could probably hear all the locks locking on car's that honk too, if only it didn't honk. I mean, if you were driving around someones neighborhood and parked in front of someone's house at zero dark hours in morning, don't you think it'd be rude to honk your horn??? I would.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You're making a lot of assumptions. The beep on my Lancer is not loud at all, and I will usually lock it within 3 feet of exiting the car as I'm walking away. "Blasting an innocent bystander" is a long stretch, don't you think? Unless the car has an air horn I don't see it ever "blasting" anyone. Some people have already complained on this forum that the Fiesta's horn is too weak, therefore I don't see it ever being able to "blast" anyone.
I'm not making any assumptions. I'm stating facts, and you'll notice that I quoted your very own words. The Fiesta horn may not be one of the extremely loud versions, but many other cars are. "Blasting an innocent bystander" is not an exaggeration, it's personal experience.

I don't blame you for feeling slighted. You've probably spent many years beeping your horn and not realizing that you were being very impolite, until you've read someone else's opinion. Hopefully you and other people will have second thoughts about the lock-up beep from now on...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hopefully you and other people will have second thoughts about the lock-up beep from now on...
Nope, cause I think you are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The beep lasts less than one second. Let me repeat that...less than one second. How this can be a major annoyance is beyond me. I don't think I'm being impolite at all. I'm using a function that is available on the car. If you don't like it then have your state representative introduce legislation to ban beeps.

If the convenience is there I will continue to use the lock-up beep on any car I purchase.

Edit: Now THIS is being impolite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYgynZtXls

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Watching for your lights to flash - indicating your doors locked - is more efficient and less bothersome to your neighbors or bystanders. And as Casca mentioned, it's easy to hear the mechanical locks actuate even from 30 feet away on most cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hopefully you and other people will have second thoughts about the lock-up beep from now on...
Nope. I didn't pay $18,000 to make other people happy, I paid it to make me happy and you know what? Making the horn honk always makes me smile, so I fully intend to use it at every, every opportunity.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Watching the lights flash or hearing the horn beep doesn't mean that all the doors are actually locked. All that means is the module that is suppose to send out the signal to lock the doors recieved your request to perform the locking operation. If the module output or actuators have failed then the doors will remained unlocked. The only true way to know that the doors are locked is to go around to each individual door and pull on the handles to verify that the door will not open. This isn't actually going to happen so the next best option to be sure that the doors are locked is to actually do it while standing by the car and listening to the actautors noise. If you know the noise that it makes when all the actuators are working if one or more doesn't work you will know when something fails. I haven't used the beep feature on my Fiesta because I have the intelligent access option and just push the button on the door handle to lock the doors before I walk away from the car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nope. I didn't pay $18,000 to make other people happy, I paid it to make me happy and you know what? Making the horn honk always makes me smile, so I fully intend to use it at every, every opportunity.
That's your choice. Unfortunately, being impolite does not mean it's illegal. Some people also make the same aurgument you do to justify driving around peoples neighborhood durring sleeping hours blasting music. They spent money on it afterall and it makes them happy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm happy I have the choice unlike other cars. On my friends cars that beep, I'm using the key to lock or unlock the car just to avoid the noise. I prefer not having the horn beep when it locks because I can hear the locks activating. But it's nice to have it beep if I'm having a senior moment & forget where I park the car in a large parking lot. :eek:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts