Fiesta Faction banner

Biggest Tires on OEM Wheels?

21836 Views 39 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  calebslendy
Hi:

I want to know which is the tallest size and widest size we can use on our 15'' oem (original) rims?
With any alteration on the suspension.

I'm planning to buy new tires and want a taller ones but I don't want any rub!

Thanks

Victor G.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
I was trying to get as tall a winter tire as I could on my 15" factory rims and my tire place said 195/60 was the max. I wanted 195/65 but they were adamant about it so, 195/60 is what I got. You'll have to do the calculations if you want to go wider though. I'm guessing you mainly want taller tires for ground clearance like I did?
Use this:

Tire size calculator

If you have a stock suspension, You SHOULD be able to fit a 195 70 15 , OR a 205 65 15

but either way, the car will handle and look like crap
And watch for speedometer differences ... too much one way and you could get a strict enforcement cop pulling you over. I stayed with the 185/60-15 for Summer and Winter sets of tires.

195/70-15 you'll be running 5 MPH over what speedo sez at 60.
Putting taller tires on the car doesn't do a heck of a lot.
A 195/60x15 is app. 1/2" taller and since the spindle/axle is in the middle. the car is raised 1/4". Harly noticeable.
A 205/70x15 might raise the car an inch. But would it clear the spring perch.
And watch for speedometer differences ... 195/70-15 you'll be running 5 MPH over what speedo sez at 60.
Since the speedo reads 4 mph over to begin with, the bigger tire might make it exactly right! :p
Hi:

I want to know which is the tallest size and widest size we can use on our 15'' oem (original) rims?
With any alteration on the suspension.

I'm planning to buy new tires and want a taller ones but I don't want any rub!

Thanks

Victor G.
225/50R15
Would a 225 50 15 be a better performer than my current 185/60/!5?? Im about to buy tires and i want the car to look a little more agressive and the 225 50 would be wider and lower which should help me accomplish my goal. Also will a 50 series tire give me more wheelgap?? I have hubcaps btw thanks
Would a 225 50 15 be a better performer than my current 185/60/!5?? Im about to buy tires and i want the car to look a little more agressive and the 225 50 would be wider and lower which should help me accomplish my goal. Also will a 50 series tire give me more wheelgap?? I have hubcaps btw thanks
No, I don't think it'll be a better performer in any way. Any tread width performance gains will be negated by the width being too much for the wheel which will result in some additional flexing.

the wider tire on a narrow rim will look balloony (and IMO cheesy) which is opposite the tuner aesthetic of wide rim and stretched tire

And you will pay more, get worse performance in rain and snow and you will get worse gas mileage.

I'd stick with about 195 60 15 and comb the craigslist for some real wheels.

A few 17 inch SVT rims have appeared in Detroit for 200 and under for 4 wheels. That sort of price mixed with 57 dollar 205 40 17's from tirerack and now you're talking real appeal.
The Fiesta's tire size does very well in the snow. It cuts right down and I have yet to come across a ground clearance issue when driving in the winter. The only way I would consider going taller is if the width of the tire remained the exact same. A wider tire will only help you with ice. Even then it will only help if you have a very soft tire with lots of sipping and studs.

If you want snow preformance then you will want to look into a good agressive tire with nice big lugs that are good and soft, and you want the tire to be as narrow as you can get it. This way it cuts right down through the snow to the pavement and will allow you to maintain better traction then having a wide tire the floats over the snow.

Now if you want a bigger tire without a bigger rim... sell the Fiesta and go buy a truck. Clearly you do not understand the difference between preformance on the road and preformance off the road. On road = lower profile, and little to no balloon over the rims lip. Offroad = high profile, large balloon and as wide as you can get it.
See less See more
The 225/50 X15 tire has the same diameter as the stock 185/60.
The tire from the side won't look much different since the side wall is nearly the same height. You will just have a 1.6 inch wider tire.
How would a 50 series tire be the same as the 60??
They aren't exactly - the 225/50 is .2" larger diameter than the stock 15" set. However for rough sizing that is essentially the same.

225/50 sidewall would be 112.5 mm versus the 185/60 with 111 mm
How would a 50 series tire be the same as the 60??
Just so you know, you can think of the 50 and 60 as a percentage (because they are). So when you see 225/50 and you want to know the sidewall height, just take 50% of 225. That's how Cobra348 came up with 112.5 mm. For the 185/60, you take 60% of 185 and get 111 (185 x .60 = 111).
Uhhhh, yup. I guess I should have noted that, huh? <sheepish look>
Actually it is .12" difference in diameter. ;)

Close enough for gov't work.:p
Just so you know, you can think of the 50 and 60 as a percentage (because they are). So when you see 225/50 and you want to know the sidewall height, just take 50% of 225. That's how Cobra348 came up with 112.5 mm. For the 185/60, you take 60% of 185 and get 111 (185 x .60 = 111).
Hm. I never knew that. I always assumed it was mm. As in 185mm/60mm.

I happen to like this little forum we've got here. I learn all sorts of new stuff!!
Keep in mind that, although the sidewall height is in mm, the tire diameter is in inches...
sweet. Thats the size ill be ordering. Ive found the 225/50s are cheaper than the 185/65
1 - 20 of 40 Posts