Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2010 Honda Fit a little over a month ago. It's been a big ordeal... Honda and the dealer sucked whatever excitement I had for this car out of me on day 1. Finance lied to me, I forced dealer to rewrite contract, a month later it finally gets processed, Honda loses 1st payment on original contract (they eventually found it), I complain... a lot. And on top of that at 100 miles a rattle starts in the dash. Had my car back at the dealer for 3 days, they failed at fixing it and then told me it was "acceptable" noise. I've brought the issue up with Honda corp and... ugh. Needless to say, I'm tired of the run-around on a brand new car.

I have 0 love for the Fit now and for Honda, and I'm almost considering trading it in for a Fiesta. The cons - I'll lose probably about $3000, Ford doesn't have any special financing (I got 0.9 with the Fit), and... well I'm worried about long-term reliability (also the gear shifter complaints I've read about with the automatic).

Pros - I won't want to smash my car into a pole every time I drive it (which is 20+ miles to work each way), it will come with a lot more options, it might be a quieter ride - hopefully with no rattles that will make my brain explode, better mpg for my long commute

So wow, props if you stuck with me to this point. My question is... should I A. trade my Fit in and lose money for (hopefully) a better car that I'm actually excited about driving? B. Stick with the Fit for a year or two, deal with the noise and my hate for Honda, and then look into a Fiesta. C. Stop being a wuss and do whatever it takes to "fix" the rattle in the Fit and try to be happy with my purchase.

Thanks! :eek:

·
Registered
522 Posts
C. stop being a wuss and just slit your wrists.

In all honesty, $3000 is a ton of cash, try to see if anyone wants to buy it off you then go from there. Or you could slit your wrists, your choice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looks like you found a turd of a dealer (both in slimy sales practices and service incompetence).

Can you see if a different dealer can fix the rattle under warranty?

Then if you really want to change cars, you can put it up for sale privately, which may get more than doing a trade-in (though if there is a Car Max in your area, you may want to get a baseline trade-in appraisal from them). But still, changing cars frequently is going to cost a significant amount of money.

If you are worried about how automatic transmissions shift gears, just get a car with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After all of the problems in getting Fiestas delivered (read some of the posts), and the frustrations of people that have ordered months ago and still not received, I'd hang on to the Honda. Which is exactly what I will probably end up doing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hang on to the Fit for another month or two (maybe even start of November) and then order the Fiesta. By then, Fiestas will be in healthy inventory and Ford dealers will start to deal on them. Also, by then any initial "Job 1" quirks will be ironed out of the Fiesta. Also, Fiesta might be a little less to insure (Ford is typically cheaper to repair) and you will save money on gas in the long run, so if you really want a Fiesta, that's the course I'd follow.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 0 love for the Fit now and for Honda, and I'm almost considering trading it in for a Fiesta. The cons - I'll lose probably about $3000, Ford doesn't have any special financing (I got 0.9 with the Fit), and... well I'm worried about long-term reliability (also the gear shifter complaints I've read about with the automatic).
I'm sorry you're having such a bad Honda experience. I hope you can sort it out.

This may be a Q for an entirely new thread but what "gear shifter complaints" have you read about the automatic transmission? I've got a Fiesta with automatic and have no complaints so far.

·
Registered
893 Posts
C. stop being a wuss and just slit your wrists.

In all honesty, $3000 is a ton of cash, try to see if anyone wants to buy it off you then go from there. Or you could slit your wrists, your choice.
That's not the type of response to give someone about their problems with whats happening to them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
After all of the problems in getting Fiestas delivered (read some of the posts), and the frustrations of people that have ordered months ago and still not received, I'd hang on to the Honda. Which is exactly what I will probably end up doing.
Ditto - this is good advice. If you can stand holding on to the Fit for a few more months, you can wait until the year ends and you might see some incentives then.

Presumably, Ford has been MAKING Fiestas all year and just not delivering them, so there may be a lot of 2011 Fiestas on the lots this winter and not a lot of buyers. I wonder if they'll start offering incentives then.

You have my sympathy, though. I've driven both and I bet you'll love the Fiesta if you get one.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I wouldn't have bought the Fit so I can't really say what I would do but, If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the Fit. Seems that your only current problem is a rattle from the dash. Can you bring someone along with you while you drive and have them hunt down the rattle?

·
Banned
528 Posts
You are in a tough spot!

I wouldn't have bought the Fit so I can't really say what I would do but, If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the Fit. Seems that your only current problem is a rattle from the dash. Can you bring someone along with you while you drive and have them hunt down the rattle?

Regardless of what your final decision is on the FIT, getting the rattle fixed is important, as it might cost you when you sell/trade it, especially if you sell it to a private buyer, as this would be an issue with them as well, and I couldn't imagine not disclosing it in the sale.

I also agree by winter Fiesta's will be abundant in the marketplace and deals will be available, especially once the dealers rid themselves of the Foci they have remaining.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your state has lemon law then keep complaining about the noise in the dash untill it is fixed either at the same dealer or at a different one. Read your states Lemon Law rules (if your state has it) and follow the steps needed to either get the Honda fixed or have it bought back by Honda and then go get your Fiesta.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I believe the Lemon Law is technically Federal so you might want to call NHTSA about it and your states DOT as well. Make those phone calls, if the dealer refuses to fix it while the car is under warranty then that's a big problem for Honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your replies. I have driven with the tech and they said they heard it. But again, the "acceptable noise" comes into play (which means they just don't want to do the warranty work). I will try another dealer I think - for now. If I really can't stand it I will look more closely at Fiestas later in the year... and definitely sell privately. Dealers are offering me dirt and lint for the Fit right now (to be expected). Live and learn I guess.

And I believe most Lemon laws only apply to the "safety" of the vehicle... like a mechanical problem or something significant that could be dangerous. I could be wrong though!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I believe most Lemon laws only apply to the "safety" of the vehicle... like a mechanical problem or something significant that could be dangerous. I could be wrong though!
I have seen cars Lemon Lawed for everything. If they can't fix the noise then how do they know that it isn't a major problem ? If they say that it is normal then tell them to show you on another with as close to the same miles as yours or better yet on a new one.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Too serious...

In my business I have seen people arrested and put in jail for making the same type of comment you did, (suggesting what you suggested). If that individual would have been on edge, and followed thru with your suggestion of suicide, you could have potentially charged with a crime.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I bought a new 2010 Honda Fit a little over a month ago. It's been a big ordeal... Honda and the dealer sucked whatever excitement I had for this car out of me on day 1. Finance lied to me, I forced dealer to rewrite contract, a month later it finally gets processed, Honda loses 1st payment on original contract (they eventually found it), I complain... a lot. And on top of that at 100 miles a rattle starts in the dash. Had my car back at the dealer for 3 days, they failed at fixing it and then told me it was "acceptable" noise. I've brought the issue up with Honda corp and... ugh. Needless to say, I'm tired of the run-around on a brand new car.

Pros - I won't want to smash my car into a pole every time I drive it (which is 20+ miles to work each way), it will come with a lot more options, it might be a quieter ride - hopefully with no rattles that will make my brain explode, better mpg for my long commute

So wow, props if you stuck with me to this point. My question is... should I A. trade my Fit in and lose money for (hopefully) a better car that I'm actually excited about driving? B. Stick with the Fit for a year or two, deal with the noise and my hate for Honda, and then look into a Fiesta. C. Stop being a wuss and do whatever it takes to "fix" the rattle in the Fit and try to be happy with my purchase.

Thanks! :eek:
If you are REALLY that unhappy with your car, then get rid of it. You just need to rationalize the $3K and added interest costs is equivalent to your own happiness.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get a Fiesta, be happy. It's easy on the eyes and driving it will give many smiles.

Save razor blades for cleaning glass and opening packages. :)

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
I purchased a first generation Fit in '07 and have put 40+K miles on it. It has been great car. I'm sorry yours has not lived up to your expectations.

When I bought my Fit, there were very few choices in the B-Segment at the time. If I were weighing the options today, I would choose the Fiesta. It's the best B-Segment currently on sale in the U.S. However, I don't plan on buying a Fiesta until a performance model is released.

I have never purchased a car that I later wished I hadn't. So, I don't know what you are going through. But, as others have said, if you are that miserable about it, take the hit and get into something else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts