Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 fiesta, 1.6, 5spd with hill start assist

A few weeks ago lots of rain and went through some water. Hill start and abs lights came on and felt brakes drag. After a few seconds the brakes released and lights went off.

A few days later notice after releasing brake pedal the brakes will still slightly drag as if you were resting your foot on the pedal while driving.

Issue continues and gets worse.

Took to mechanic and he replaced, hoses, calipers, pads and rotors on front. All parts aftermarket.

Still the same issue of brakes dragging and not fully releasing.

Took to dealer and they bled brakes and said everything was working correctly. No lights are coming on for abs or hill start assist. The second I get back in the car the same issue. Whenever brakes are applied and then released they will not completely release.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Forget it. I dunno.
that's helpful.

As to the issue Fuelsippy, it may sound rudimentary, but try taking the caliper off and make sure the sliders are well greased. what you described with the "dragging" is one the main results of lack of grease in the sliders, over long term it can cause excessive wear or uneven pad wear.

Does it sound like it's coming for one side or another?

·
Registered
209 Posts
that's helpful.

As to the issue Fuelsippy, it may sound rudimentary, but try taking the caliper off and make sure the sliders are well greased. what you described with the "dragging" is one the main results of lack of grease in the sliders, over long term it can cause excessive wear or uneven pad wear.

Does it sound like it's coming for one side or another?
Indeed I said about what you said, realized it was dumb as he has done the calipers and was unable to delete the post.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not sure about the model year or trim level. I own a 2014 Fiesta Titanium. Going strong at 208,000mi+. My vehicle has the 5 speed manual. In the vehicle options in the Sync system I am able to turn off the function of hill start assist.
Not sure if this what you want, but it could end your problems because the vehicle should no longer apply and hold the brakes for you. Worth a try.
I turn the feature off because many of us who use a manual transmission prefer it off because of the drag on the vehicle and clutch at launch during that brief seond or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys hope you can help!
I have a 2015 fiesta base model. Around 30k miles the rear drum brakes began making noise and I was able to pull the drums off and replace the brake shoes...
Fast forward and I am at 50k and the brakes are making noise again. I tried to pull the drums off both sides but I can't get either side off for the life of me. I pried like hell on both sides to the point of leaving gouges in the drums. I do t remember having any problems the first time around. What am I doing wrong now???

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dunno if you have this figured out. Some (most?) drum brakes, as they wear, will have the shoes wear into the inner drum surface, but it leaves a ridge that traps the shoes because the cylinder pistons won't retract enough for the shoes to clear the ridge. You have to back off the pads far enough and the drum should clear the shoes. Trying to pry or beat the drum off can damage parts that you weren't originally intending to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dunno if you have this figured out. Some (most?) drum brakes, as they wear, will have the shoes wear into the inner drum surface, but it leaves a ridge that traps the shoes because the cylinder pistons won't retract enough for the shoes to clear the ridge. You have to back off the pads far enough and the drum should clear the shoes. Trying to pry or beat the drum off can damage parts that you weren't originally intending to replace.
Thank you for your reply. Any special tool to back them off? I see the holes on the backside of the drums, can't see inside too see what I have to do. I googled around looking for info and pictures but haven't found anything. Do I just use a flat blade to adjust the tensioner?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Any special tool to back them off? I see the holes on the backside of the drums, can't see inside too see what I have to do. I googled around looking for info and pictures but haven't found anything. Do I just use a flat blade to adjust the tensioner?

You can use a flat blade screwdriver, but I'd recommend a brake spoon as it's designed for clearance. Of course one way will tighten the brakes, one way will loosen them, so be mindful so you're not tightening them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good point. If you position yourself right, you can give a few moves with the brake spoon and give the drum a spin. If it tightens up and doesn't turn, try the other way. I don't know if I've ever gotten it right the first time. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 fiesta, 1.6, 5spd with hill start assist

A few weeks ago lots of rain and went through some water. Hill start and abs lights came on and felt brakes drag. After a few seconds the brakes released and lights went off.

A few days later notice after releasing brake pedal the brakes will still slightly drag as if you were resting your foot on the pedal while driving.

Issue continues and gets worse.

Took to mechanic and he replaced, hoses, calipers, pads and rotors on front. All parts aftermarket.

Still the same issue of brakes dragging and not fully releasing.

Took to dealer and they bled brakes and said everything was working correctly. No lights are coming on for abs or hill start assist. The second I get back in the car the same issue. Whenever brakes are applied and then released they will not completely release.

Your thoughts?
I had a similar problem with a 2014 Fiesta S model, 5 speed 1.6 liter sedan. At 69,000 miles, the brakes started dragging, so I took it in for service, and they seemed to replace everything related to the brakes except the master cylinder, brake pedal and brake lines. It cost me around $800, but the problem remained. I had no warning lights on, and kept hill start assist disabled because I did not need it. I spend an additional $200 over the next few weeks, then traded the car in because the dealership employees started telling me it was not dragging, but when driving it less that a block from their lot, it was noticeably dragging.. Have you taken it to a non Ford mechanic? Have you gotten it resolved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts