Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone suggest aftermarket headlight bulbs that are whiter, brighter than the OEMs? Links?

Also, any bulbs to rid of the amber/orange reflection and more stealth?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I personally don't mind the Sylvania Silver Star - Ultras. The give off a pure white light and not a dingy yellowish light beam.

The only thing that may or may not be an issue is the overall longevity of the bulbs. Some just simply burn out quicker than others.

I've had Silver Star - Ultras for over a year now on my DD Chevrolet Colorado and they have not burnt out yet. My truck has daytime running headlights so they are on A LOT. I put on around 70 miles a day, sometimes in heavy traffic, so that is around 4 hours daily of constant use for over a year.

Still going strong! (knocks on wood)

You can pick these up at any automotive store I.E. Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and probably even at Wal-Mart! haha

-spatakula

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I am not sure if the SilverStar Ultra's are available in the H11 for the lowbeam. I just installed the regular H11 SilverStar's in our Escape last week. Depending on how well they work, I will get a set for the Fiesta. I ran H4 SilverStars in my ZX3 for years with pretty good luck, some burned out quickly and others lasted a year or more. I tried Polarg and PIAA as well, but they burned out in a matter of weeks. The Focus headlamp housing loved to eat bulbs. As for the orange reflector, it is stuck in there until you seperate the lense from the housing or buy a set of EU housings.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rawk on. Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Serious upgrades for the headlight bulbs are, H-9 in place of the lowbeam H-11 (goes from 1350 lumens to 2100 lumens) and a high beam upgrade from 9005 to 9011 HIR-1's (Halogen IR) and whilst I can't find the numbers for the 9011's anywhere I believe the improvement was from somewhere around 1750 lumens stock to around 2500 lumens for the HIR-1's. This helps a great deal without even having to add any separate lights to the car. I've been using this exact bulb setup in my Lincoln LS for......at least 4 years now and they are superb, have not done 'anything' to the headlights and haven't needed replacement yet either.

Be advised a slight tab modification needs to be done to the H9 low beam bulb to make the electrical connector fit more like the H11 does. It's simply a matter of removing a tab in the bulb's connector if I remember correctly.

BTW, This H11 to H9 mod was suggested by a light retailer and well known light authority so it's not an owner accidental discovery or hack. The HIR-1 is a direct bulb replacement for a 9005.

I'll be doing this to my Fiesta this weekend once the last of the bulbs arrive.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I know that the US Fiesta uses the H11b bulbs, which I think are slightly different from H11. Can anyone confirm that H11 and H11b and interchangeable?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that the US Fiesta uses the H11b bulbs, which I think are slightly different from H11. Can anyone confirm that H11 and H11b and interchangeable?
I believe H11B has a tab that makes them different to install than H11's. But I'd like to know too if the B's are different and if going with just regular H11's are doable.

Anyone?

Bueller?

·
Registered
554 Posts
In a previous car, I used Sylvania (regular) H7 bulbs. They lasted only 2/3 as long as the OEM bulbs in that car. Since more lumens = shorter life (and tinting requires even more lumens to compensate for the loss due to the tint), any of the "premium" Sylvania bulbs are likely to be even worse for bulb life.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In a previous car, I used Sylvania (regular) H7 bulbs. They lasted only 2/3 as long as the OEM bulbs in that car. Since more lumens = shorter life (and tinting requires even more lumens to compensate for the loss due to the tint), any of the "premium" Sylvania bulbs are likely to be even worse for bulb life.
And everytime someone says this I feel obliged to counter that my Osram silverstars were so good they outlasted my 2000 ZX3 (62K) were removed from it and installed used in my SVT Focus, they lasted YEARS in that car till it must have had at least 50K on it (and I work nights so the car is driven at night A LOT) before finally burning out the first low beam filament. I do not see how a stock bulb would have lasted any longer. That car now has 92k on it is still on the set that replaced my original Osrams from my 2000ZX3. Just don't buy the Sylvania versions, it is so obvious from the net that they are lacking in quality, (or people are touching the bulbs on install and deny it) that by now everyone should know this.

Having said that, if one was to put 100/130's in their car I would agree that the light that burns that much more brightly is bound not to last as long but the trade is worth it. I have 80/100's in my Land Rover and they have lasted nearly as long as I would have expected stock to last but performed a GREAT deal better. Again, the gain in obvious output was easily justifiable and the tradeoff in lifespan, wasn't squat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bulbs have been installed. The HIR-1 upgrade I highly recommend, since it's a plug and play replacement for the 9005 high beam. The whore bait H11B ('B' for #$&$ing Bogus) low beam requires a pigtail to be made at minimum, and frankly more little modifications to the H9 bulb base than most are probably willing to do. I did it and it works, without modifying any permanent part of the harness or the headlight unit. I want to be able to put that back stock without any worries if necessary so I left all stock parts of the car alone. I'm more than a bit suspicious of the reasoning for the H11Bogus bulb though. I mean you need to see it to believe it. What a goofy design that appears to be purpose built to thwart anyone putting a different bulb in the car. What other reason? I mean really.....first, you supply us with a car that we can't put fogs in, AT ALL....and then this H11Bogus BS with no practical way to upgrade the headlights short of HID's, which I have never liked anyway.

As for light output, I only got stock pics while it was dark. The sun was coming up by the time I was done so didn't have the opportunity to take any more. I did take a look once the first headlight was done though and they are noticeably brighter as well as whiter. Am looking forward to an after dark drive next....

High beam bulbs, stock left, upgraded right.

Low beam bulbs, stock (ahem) left, upgraded right.

Not much help here, just an overview, with the pigtails, one loose and one connected. You definitely need to remove the headlights to do this. Anyone needed a pointer on that let me know. Always nice to know the niggly little oddities going into a job.

Not a very good pic but you can tell the drivers side has the new bulb in it, however in person the passenger side stock light was noticably yellow in comparison.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge, Rodie! :thumbup:

Adding to this, and because I'm not nearly bold enough to hack wiring on the *brand new* car (used car, old car...different story), I got in touch with Daniel Stern Lighting. No affiliation etc etc etc, but I would *highly* recommend bringing him your lighting biz. You've got to respect someone who doesn't try to cram an ill-fitting product down your throat, *and* sends you somewhere else for a product.

Daniel Stern said:
> Hi Daniel -
> I'd like to order some headlight bulbs for my 2011 Ford Fiesta. The owner's manual calls for an H11_B_ for the low beam - is that the same spec and/or is it compatible with an H11?
>

No, it is not. With some modifications, an H11 will fit, but it's difficult to do without spoiling the headlamp seal.

>
> High beams are HB3-9005LL, which I understand is compatible with an HIR1 bulb.
>

If you want to upgrade the high beams, go to your local Chevrolet dealer (or GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts for a better price)and pick up two part number 15094219. That is a 9011 bulb. They are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but share the identical filament geometry and base architecture as well as the same power consumption.

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
new: 9011, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

The 9011 bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is
to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases.
The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb
fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly
into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see
HIR bulb base modification for details.
I hope it goes without saying, but you do any of this at your own risk and at potential risk to your warranty. We're all grownups about these things, right?

Anyhow, hope this helps.

-s

·
Registered
12 Posts
update: I bought these bulbs via Amazon, as they were cheaper than the GM part and I got free shipping.

And, now that they're in: they kick ass. A noticeable improvement over the stock units. Basically, I went from "pretty good" high beams to "*that's* more like it!"

YMMV.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update: I bought these bulbs via Amazon, as they were cheaper than the GM part and I got free shipping.

And, now that they're in: they kick ass. A noticeable improvement over the stock units. Basically, I went from "pretty good" high beams to "*that's* more like it!"

YMMV.
So these the same as HB3-9005LL? Based on Amazon's Part Finder, it says these won't fit an '11 Fiesta.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NM. Just saw that: High beams are HB3-9005LL, which I understand is compatible with an HIR1 bulb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have contacted Sylvania about the availability of the H11B in their Silverstar Ultra line and the response was that since this is a 'special" fitment (ie; Hyundai and Ford Fiesta) they have no plans in the near future to produce this bulb in their top of the line bulbs. Why would Ford put such a special bulb in thier headlights when they know the replacement availability would be limited? Great car! Not one of Fords 'Better Ideas'.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have contacted Sylvania about the availability of the H11B in their Silverstar Ultra line and the response was that since this is a 'special" fitment (ie; Hyundai and Ford Fiesta) they have no plans in the near future to produce this bulb in their top of the line bulbs. Why would Ford put such a special bulb in thier headlights when they know the replacement availability would be limited? Great car! Not one of Fords 'Better Ideas'.

That's the final straw, I'm getting rid of mine

·
Registered
617 Posts
And everytime someone says this I feel obliged to counter that my Osram silverstars were so good they outlasted my 2000 ZX3 (62K) were removed from it and installed used in my SVT Focus, they lasted YEARS in that car till it must have had at least 50K on it (and I work nights so the car is driven at night A LOT) before finally burning out the first low beam filament. I do not see how a stock bulb would have lasted any longer. That car now has 92k on it is still on the set that replaced my original Osrams from my 2000ZX3. Just don't buy the Sylvania versions, it is so obvious from the net that they are lacking in quality, (or people are touching the bulbs on install and deny it) that by now everyone should know this.

Having said that, if one was to put 100/130's in their car I would agree that the light that burns that much more brightly is bound not to last as long but the trade is worth it. I have 80/100's in my Land Rover and they have lasted nearly as long as I would have expected stock to last but performed a GREAT deal better. Again, the gain in obvious output was easily justifiable and the tradeoff in lifespan, wasn't squat.
How does one acquire said bulbs? When I Google the bulb name, every website that comes up seems geared toward British/European users, and quotes prices in Pounds.... :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts