Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the older (2005 model) of our two smart diesel convertibles was smacked hard up the arse 10 days ago when my daughters were driving to university in Victoria, I thought we should get a new car as the student runabout. The old smart protected them very well indeed, but with 247,000+ km (153,000 miles) I don't think that the insurance company will repair it (though they were threatening to do just that last week).

Anyway, we have three kids all going to the same university right now and we have been supplying them a car (OK my son lives in Victoria now so a two seater will be fine until mid-2013 when he moves home again). As much as I love the smart diesels and their easy 60 MPG US average, I thought we should get a new car with warranty that can seat four or five in a pinch. Which led us to the Fiesta.

So up here in Canada at the moment there is a promotion on the Fiestas, 2013s can be had for $2000 off MSRP if you sign up for the 0% financing deal (0% for 3-7 years apparently) and then if you're a cash buyer like we are, you make one payment and then pay the loan off but keep the discount. They are also offering a free set of steel wheels with winter tires in addition to the factory summer wheels and tires. That seems pretty attractive to us.

The daily commute is 90 km (each way) of highway with light traffic until the capital city is reached. The Fiesta we're interested in is the 5 speed manual SE hatchback model with winter package, block heater (won't need that one too much), 203A option package. We may pull the trigger on this later this week, we will see.

While the insurance co. messes around thinking about what they're going to do with our poor smashed up smart, we have a free rental car and it's a.....2011 Fiesta SE hatch in the green metallic but with the PS 6 speed. This car has 203A and (expired) Sirius plus the disco interior lights, well we can do without that, but we definitely want heated seats. All our other cars have heated seats! Over the about 600 miles we've driven the rental, the average fuel consumption has been 6.0 L/100 km, or 39 US MPG, with a best leg of 5.0 L/100 km (47 US MPG) over 90 km (56 miles) in the heavy rain we've been having of late. That's encouraging, but we thing we could do somewhat better with a manual notwithstanding the "official" figures.

My daughters like the car and all five of us can (barely) fit in the car, so that's good. What we like about it aside from the good FE is the suspension, steering, roadholding, quietness, relative roominess and the nice styling.

I will post again when/if we get the car.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the rental is a great opportunity. It's a very nice car and I love small cars.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the trigger today, SE in what we call Old Man Red (Ruby Red Metallic), 5 speed, 203A option package (SYNC/Sound plus Sport Appearance combined), Winter package (heated seats and mirrors), block heater and as noted above, 4 spare (steel) wheels with winter tires.

The car comes in Tuesday, and we'll start racking up the km on Wednesday! Nice little cars, these puppies! We have named the car "Old Man Red" already.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the insurance company gave us $7076 for the 2005 smart cabriolet with huge km. That's well over a third the cost of the new car!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
not too bad all the way around! And I've seen the Ruby Red on a C-Max. While I really am not a lover of red, that color and the Red Candy on Cherri are 2 shades I do like.

You folks are going to have a blast in the Fiesta ... pics when you can (or it never happened!! :D) and feel free to ask all sorts of questions. Someone here has the answer!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Three college kids, yicks! I don't envy that!

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. Welcome to FF! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like an awesome deal, being young and naive I think I ended up helping the salesman a little too much. :-/

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hope the car works out for you (if you go for it). Ford gave me a 1k rebate on the titanium sedan I ordered two weeks ago and hopefully 0 percent Apr if my credit holds haha. Go for it if you can!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I left something on the table, but I don't like the game so I just took the factory incentives and called her good. Although I did get them to drop the price another $450 in order to negate the documentation fee....

We picked it up this evening, drove off the Glenoak Ford lot at 6:45 or so. Pretty painless buying experience though all the usual options were offered (service plans, paint protection, warranty extensions). No No No. Next?

Well the car is fine, we have it home now and I could only get a really crappy photo of it in the dark. More later.

That's the back end of our Merc B Class on its winter wheels (hubcaps, ecch) in the background, the other two cars are in the garage).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Three college kids, yicks! I don't envy that!

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. Welcome to FF! :)
Thanks! Yeah three at a time is EXPENSIVE, and also because this car is mainly for them to get to and from the campus from 56 miles away....at least our oldest daughter is just about finished her B.Sc. and after that, her next degree is on her dime (she wants to get into medicine, that's a biggie). We will have two more in UVIC for another 3 years at least. So it's getting better, financially.

The car has a hill holder! I am surprised. It will make the younger kids happier to learn to shift for themselves.

Do the 2013s not have the RDS radio info system? Our 2011 rental car had it (station info, song and artist info) but Old Man Red does not. I haven't read the manual yet to find out (sorry).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do the 2013s not have the RDS radio info system? Our 2011 rental car had it (station info, song and artist info) but Old Man Red does not. I haven't read the manual yet to find out (sorry).
My '12 has an option to turn it on or off. It might just come off by default.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Go thru the audio options in the menu of the car ... it's off by default AFAIK. You might want to just roam thru the menus ... seems I recall equalizer settings for various music genres, etc.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Still looking good! Shows the Ruby Red color pretty well - even in the dark! I'm sold ... next puddle-jumper is RR paint code.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Smart car that we get in the U.S. has a gas engine. From what I've heard the gas engine isn't very happy in this car. And the gas mileage is also disapoiniting for the size of the car. A good driver in a Fiesta will go farther with a gallon of gas than a poor driver in a Smart. The Fiesta actually gets better highway mpg according to the EPA!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah even though I love the smart convertibles, the new gasoline ones were not on our radar as a replacement because they use 91 octane fuel (!) despite having a lower compression ratio than the Fiesta, the styling is not as good as the original smart and frankly we needed at least 3 seats. We're aiming to be the best performing 1.6 Fiesta on Spritverbrauch berechnen und Autokosten verwalten - Spritmonitor.de, and average about 5.5 L/100 km or better.

The other smart we still have is a diesel and they are slow but reward the driver with 60 MPG US, even on wide tires and wheels like I have on it. Canada got the diesel smarts only in the 2005 and 2006 model years. They don't meet the post-2006 emissions standards.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a shot of the car first thing in the AM, with dew all over it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts