Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The inside of a vehicle is the most important part. The radio controls are a disaster, though: the volume control is tiny and despite having controls for the radio on the steering wheel, volume is not among them. The menu control system is a knob that doesn’t turn but toggles in four directions, and using it to change radio stations while driving is difficult and frustrating.

Less important but still annoying is the side-view mirror adjustment knob, which is mounted on the driver’s door panel. Typically, left is left and right is right on this control, but because of its location back is left and forward is right and it feels very unnatural."
CanadianDriver Day-by-Day Reviews 2011 Ford Fiesta SES; Day 2

So there is no volume control on the steering wheel, and why would it be frustrating using the "knob" to change radio stations?

·
Registered
508 Posts
IMHO this is a case of not RTFM but they do have a bit of a point. Compared to the old-style tuners in say a '60s car todays modern radios are a bit of a PIA, at least until you fill in the presets. One thing I don't like about the Fiesta's radio is that there are 30 presets, 10 for AM and 20 for FM and you need to switch bands to go from AM to FM. My Solstice by comparison has anywhere from 1 to 10 sets of 6 presets which can be defined each with AM and FM mixed which IMHO is a lot easier if you only have 5-6 favorite radio stations like I do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One thing I don't like about the Fiesta's radio is that there are 30 presets, 10 for AM and 20 for FM and you need to switch bands to go from AM to FM. My Solstice by comparison has anywhere from 1 to 10 sets of 6 presets which can be defined each with AM and FM mixed which IMHO is a lot easier if you only have 5-6 favorite radio stations like I do.
I've read other reviews that said the radio buttons were non-intuitive,
and confusing.
I don't find that to be the case at all!
I think the radio is very intuitive and easy to use!
That being said, I do agree with AlanBDahl, that I would have
prefered if Ford chose to use the preset options he has in his Solstice.
As far as the mirror button is concerned, It has an illustration of a car
on it that shows you which way to turn it to adjust each mirror!
If that is confusing to you, I'm not sure you are really in any shape
to be driving an automobile!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
...As far as the mirror button is concerned, It has an illustration of a car
on it that shows you which way to turn it to adjust each mirror!
If that is confusing to you, I'm not sure you are really in any shape
to be driving an automobile!!!
I believe they're just stating that it's not intuitive/doesn't feel right. You shouldn't have to have an image showing you how to use a knob like that. As a game designer, I spend a crazy amount of time making sure controls "feel" right. It's possible that it is just the reviewer's opinion but I do remember it feeling kind of awkward to adjust the side mirrors in my wife's fiesta.

I'd also like to point out how awkward the "joystick" in the center dash is. If they wanted to make it look like a joystick then they should have made it behave like one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The points are valid on the radio but nothing that should distract you from the bigger more impressive features of this car. I certainly agree Ford could have done a better job with the radio. A volume control on the steering wheel - definitely. Where the volume control becomes a PIA is when I receive a phone call through the bluetooth and find I always have to turn the volume up to hear the caller. When I hang up, the radio comes back on and the volume is blaring. Is there a feature that I missed in the manual that matches the volume of the Bluetooth phone with the radio? I like having all the presets.

I don't see what the concern is over the mirror adjustment so I agree with IB-5 that if something like that is a problem for you, you shouldn't be driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts