Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On full blast you can hear the tube to the tank fill up quickly and the pump does its auto-stop thing.

Slowest possible speed will eventually fill since that gives the air pressure time to equalize before the damn pump shuts off.

So what secondary vent is clogged?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heres two TSB's i found in the Reference Thread that might apply to your situation.

TSB 10-25-9
THUMPING NOISE FROM FUEL FILLER NECK AREA - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/29/2010
DATE: 12/20/2010
ISSUE: Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles built on or before 11/29/2010 may exhibit a thumping noise coming from the fuel filler neck area. The noise is most noticeable in warm ambient temperatures, may be intermittent, and may occur mostly at idle. The noise will not affect vehicle function.

TSB 11-7-6
SLOW FUEL FILL
DATE: 7/1/2011
ISSUE: Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit a slow fuel fill concern. Typical customer complaint is the fueling station nozzle shutting off after approximately 3.8L (1 gallon).

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
[ [email protected];213337]Did this just start? Those TSBs are good starting points.

Spiders have been known to make homes in the filler neck vent tubes which can cause issues like this.

-Steve[/QUOTE]

Suzuki recently issued a recall related to spiders in the fuel fillers!!!!! :eek::eek:

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, just recently started. Probably the last 4 fills. I'm just now over 60k miles

How the hell does one look up the TSBs, get the diagrams, the instructions, etc?

I once saw one for the rear washer fix then never saw it again.

-

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
There's a thread right here. Do a keyword search in that section and you should find something. If there is a way to access the Ford database of them I'd also like to know that one.

EDIT: said thread is sticky at the top of this section.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, just recently started. Probably the last 4 fills. I'm just now over 60k miles

How the hell does one look up the TSBs, get the diagrams, the instructions, etc?

I once saw one for the rear washer fix then never saw it again.

-
If it's a new issue I'd be looking for a cause, check for pinched/damaged hoses or as mentioned try checking the vent tube for foreign objects such as insects.

-Steve

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I went through a couple of contacts here and as a result Ford Service just called me.

I have to bring the car into the dealership. Time and money but that would have to happen anyway so, no sweat.

But here's where it goes downhill ... fast:

Whatever diagnostic fee is charged for them to tell me what's wrong will be my expense.

Whatever repair is required will be my expense.

There is some "possible" reimbursement for these things, on average 20-30%.

So what this essentially tells me is not to waste my time and money.

I recently received a letter saying my transmission is now covered to 7yrs/100k miles.

This fuel fill issue seems to be nearly as prevalent as the various transmission issues we've read about yet the EPA crap isn't covered.

I can't even decide how pissed I am.

-

·
Registered
804 Posts
My car usually only does it when cold. I usually fill once a day Monday through Friday but it sits on weekends, so it could be bugs! Cant hurt to look.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the service manual workbook and I've managed to match the diagram to what I see under the car.

I plan to mess with some parts this weekend, clean a few things out before I go spending 3, 4, 500 bucks on crap that should never have been designed this way in the first place.

Intentionally stop up the fill tube because you can't capture vapors fast enough? What kind of ****ing idiot designs that?

****ing EPA ****.

_

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
All to prevent global warming.
We can't have those nasty fumes fouling our fresh air.
Of course we can't count the gas spilled on the ground.

The venting for filling is fairly simple. Why should there be a problem ? I suspect the capless filler.

Found a TSB that might work. 11-17-6

·
Registered
804 Posts
Its the In-schooled Engineers that never seen the real world. If we Keep It Simple, it always works! Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
On full blast you can hear the tube to the tank fill up quickly and the pump does its auto-stop thing.

Slowest possible speed will eventually fill since that gives the air pressure time to equalize before the damn pump shuts off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts