Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a tradition where you are from?

I had thought it was a widespread and common tradition with a new car, but after having someone from out of state in my Fiesta this week, they asked what all the money was doing in the back... I explained that it was good luck to throw coins/money into a new vehicle... they had never even heard of it. It wasn't until I googled about new car superstitions/traditions that I found out it is mostly a NY/NJ thing...

Purely out of curiosity, wondering how many of you, not from NY/NJ, have heard of this...

Wiki: Car Coining

There is a practice in New Jersey and New York of tossing a few coins onto the floor of a newly purchased car as a sign of good luck. This practice originated as a practical one. Because of the area's many toll roads, many drivers would carry change in their cars. The friends and family of the new car owner would throw coins onto the floor of the new car so if they driver ever ran out of his own money, he could always reach down and find some extra money on the floor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
new one to me.

I've never heard of this tradition. It's a new one to me. But, I like it! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm from NJ and hadn't heard of it either. The first day I had my car, a friend threw coins in the back, it bothered me. I didn't understand what she was doing, and immediately put the change in the coin tray!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm from NJ and hadn't heard of it either. The first day I had my car, a friend threw coins in the back, it bothered me. I didn't understand what she was doing, and immediately put the change in the coin tray!
Ditto, lol. Never heard of this tradition but being born and raised in Orange County, NY I always had a little sandwich bag of spare change in my glove box in case I inadvertently found myself across the border into NJ and on a toll road. That, and several of the bridges across the Hudson by where I grew up had one way tolls.

Good idea to always have some change, but lets keep it contained in a tray or something ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is fun to read everyone's replies... I am beginning to think that this may even be a NYC/Long Island kinda thing... I'll chalk it up to "Only in NY" LOL

After a week, all the loose change and bills will be placed in a baggie and put into the glove box :) So far, i've racked up nearly $10 - a little bit more, and I will be able to go over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge!! :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We don't have many toll roads per se, it's more the bridges and tunnels that connect NYC and the tri-state area...

I have been telling everyone I know here, that this coin thing is a tradition that is so very local to this area. It's really quite interesting!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We don't have many toll roads per se, it's more the bridges and tunnels that connect NYC and the tri-state area...

I have been telling everyone I know here, that this coin thing is a tradition that is so very local to this area. It's really quite interesting!
I really is. It looks like a local good habit that just grew into a tradition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Down in Texas, they throw hundred dollar bills in you new car--not coins. Y'all need to send me some big bills, and I'll send y'all some coins to keep the traditions going. ;)

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Yup - but I (at least) like grits, hushpuppies and greens! Of course that's from 14 years in the South and Southeast US.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Down in Texas, they throw hundred dollar bills in you new car--not coins. Y'all need to send me some big bills, and I'll send y'all some coins to keep the traditions going. ;)
My boyfriend's from TX and hasn't thrown any money in the car - lame!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts