Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get to these and change the bulbs?
I know the manual says the dealer has to do it, but really?
To change these bulbs?

Anyone?
Bueller?

·
Registered
893 Posts
More than likely the involvement of changing the bulb requires the dealer to take apart the mirror, this means special tools not available to the public to do it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it apart as far as one could and I didn't see anything or figured out anything that would make it so difficult. But you're probably right, I probably need a fluxcapicitor to get to it that the dealer has. :^)

But seriously, sucks to have to have a couple 168 bulbs put in by the dealer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I took it apart as far as one could and I didn't see anything or figured out anything that would make it so difficult. But you're probably right, I probably need a fluxcapicitor to get to it that the dealer has. :^)

But seriously, sucks to have to have a couple 168 bulbs put in by the dealer.
The Flux Capicitor isn't used in a Ford that is a DeLoran part and it wasn't a tool it was a vehicle drive force enhancement.:D

All it takes to get to the bulbs is a flat blade screwdriver and a willingness to be very careful when removing the glass. Even then there is a chance that the mirror glass will break either when removing it for access or reinstalling it after the repair. That is when it is most likely to break because of the force needed to reattach the glass back onto the clips.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The Flux Capicitor isn't used in a Ford that is a DeLoran part and it wasn't a tool it was a vehicle drive force enhancement.:D

All it takes to get to the bulbs is a flat blade screwdriver and a willingness to be very careful when removing the glass. Even then there is a chance that the mirror glass will break either when removing it for access or reinstalling it after the repair. That is when it is most likely to break because of the force needed to reattach the glass back onto the clips.
The plastic clips used in cars are truly annoying! I cracked part of my Temp Sending Sensor last weekend on my old/current car (which is a 97 Ford). >< Argh!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to 3 dealers in my area to replace these with the LEDs I've got.

1. Nearest dealer to me won't do it. Says it'll void the warranty.
  2. Second dealer will do it for $100 bucks a mirror. (ouch!)
  3. Third dealer has never done it before but willing to take a look.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It cost $100/$145ish for non-powered/powered mirror assemblies.....not painted. Painted is @$200.

For just the mirror, it cost $50 to $60ish.......or maybe $22?? All the part #'s for the mirror's are 17k707. The powered ones are the more expensive, the non-powered is $22......but it's the exact same part# as the powered ones. I am not sure if these prices are per side or for both side, but the details shows LH/RH on each discription and ordering it didn't break it down for which side you needed.....so maybe it's for both sides.

Anyway, at those prices if you screw up, it's not the end of the world and even if you broke both mirrors removing it, putting new ones back on will be simple and cheaper then paying the dealer to do the job initially.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It ended up not being as difficult as I originally thought it would be. I didn't even have to remove the actual reflective part from the mirror. I just had to work off the painted portion of the mirror to get to the bulb underneath.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No need to remove the glass. Here's how I did mine -- replaced the amber bulbs with the chrome looking ones that light up amber.

These are the original amber bulbs

Here are the new chrome ones

To change the bulb your have to remove the cover from the back side of the mirror (front side of the car). There is a removable insert/tab behind the glass that needs to be removed to unlock one of the clips. If you adjust your mirror so that is pointed in towards the car and make the gap on the outside next to the spotter mirror as big as possible it will be easier to get to the tab.

Work the tab up a little bit with a screw driver

Pull the tab out with a needlenose pliers. The cover is already off in this picture so you an see through the slot.

Once the tab is removed the clip is unlocked and the cover can be removed. It has to be gently pried back from the front piece.

Here is the back of the housing and the slot where the tab was locking the clip in.

Here is the clip on the cover that was locked in

Picture of the tab sitting on the clip in the orientation it would be in when locked to the main housing

Light connector

From here it's pretty easy to pull the connector straight out, swap the bulb, and put the connector back in place.

The chrome bulb installed

Flashes amber

Once the cover is put back in place I used the needle nose pliers to hold the tab in place over the slot, and pushed it back in, locking the cover in place.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Stupid question... But what is the point of changing the orange bulb to chrome?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stupid question... But what is the point of changing the orange bulb to chrome?
When the bulb is not lit, the bulb is less noticeable because it blends in with the reflective housing. Before I got familiar with LEDs, I used to use these chrome covered bulbs for everything.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When the bulb is not lit, the bulb is less noticeable because it blends in with the reflective housing. Before I got familiar with LEDs, I used to use these chrome covered bulbs for everything.
Exactly, it just blends in better...the orange behind the clear housing stood out to me and was a distraction. I changed the front amber bulbs as well. Haven't gone LED yet, but some day...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice. They still plug out the amber color? I think I might do that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to remove the glass. Here's how I did mine -- replaced the amber bulbs with the chrome looking ones that light up amber.
FINALLY!!!
Thank you so much for showing how this is done.
Once I get the new bulbs in, I will post.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great guide. Thank you!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

To change the bulb your have to remove the cover from the back side of the mirror (front side of the car). There is a removable insert/tab behind the glass that needs to be removed to unlock one of the clips. If you adjust your mirror so that is pointed in towards the car and make the gap on the outside next to the spotter mirror as big as possible it will be easier to get to the tab.

Work the tab up a little bit with a screw driver
Getting to that tab has been challenging. In fact, I think I wore out the tab just trying to get to it and can't get a needle nose in there to pull. Thoughts?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Getting to that tab has been challenging. In fact, I think I wore out the tab just trying to get to it and can't get a needle nose in there to pull. Thoughts?
Hmmm...I used a small flat blade screwdriver and was able to work the tab out about 1/4" like in one of the pictures. From there I used the needle nose pliers. It's kind of a hard pull, but it does come out.

These are the tools I used

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Let there be side view mirror lights.

Kudos for telero for the DIY.
I'd say the only thing "hard" was getting the lock tabs off, but I used a mini flat head screwdriver to get them loose which helped.

It seems that the way they came off (for me at least), was to push the bottom of the the tab up and then push them out.

I replaced the bulbs with 194 LEDs from V-LEDs.

Wax On:

Wax Off:

Nice to get rid of the amber and get rid of filament bulbs. Damn bright too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts