Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only had our car for 4 hours, and the check engine is on :( We're really stressed out about it. I guess we'll take it in to the dealership on Monday morning. I saw that some other people had this problem a while ago, but then nothing else has been posted about it, so I'm guessing their lights turned off and they didn't have any further problems?

·
Registered
447 Posts
make sure you find out what the code was and post it up. i'm very curious as to what it was

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Check engine lights can really be anything these days from a serious problem to something as simple as a sensor that has gone bad. Your particular check engine light may or may not be the same issues as others have had. Unfortunately, sometimes people post a problem but they never reply back as to what happened and/or if it was solved. It's part of the nature of online forums.

I wouldn't really stress out over the check engine light. A new car now monitors several functions compared to a few years ago. I liken the light to the tickle in your throat - is it a cold? is it a flu? is it just allergies? was it the result of eating some spicy food? or are you just thirsty?

Since you're under warranty, it's best to take it to your local dealer and have them diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
run a Vehicle health report via SYNC and see what it says.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts

good suggestion...

Also the only time you really need to worry right away about the CEL is when it is FLASHING!!!!

That means serious misfiring is occuring and that catastrophic damage could occur to the engine and or emissions systems (like the catalytic converter)..

When even you see a flashing CEL you need to do one of two things ...

1)Either ease off the gas to see if the light stops flashing (then drive gently until you can get a repair)........

or

2) if the light does not stop flashing no matter how you apply the gas STOP IMMEDIATELY!! and get a tow to the nearest Ford dealership for service...

Bottom line if you continue to drive ANY car with the CEL Flashing you risk SERIOUS DAMAGE to your cars engine or emissions systems which may not be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
984 Posts
good suggestion...

Also the only time you really need to worry right away about the CEL is when it is FLASHING!!!!

That means serious misfiring is occuring and that catastrophic damage could occur to the engine and or emissions systems (like the catalytic converter)..

When even you see a flashing CEL you need to do one of two things ...

1)Either ease off the gas to see if the light stops flashing (then drive gently until you can get a repair)........

or

2) if the light does not stop flashing no matter how you apply the gas STOP IMMEDIATELY!! and get a tow to the nearest Ford dealership for service...

Bottom line if you continue to drive ANY car with the CEL Flashing you risk SERIOUS DAMAGE to your cars engine or emissions systems which may not be covered under the warranty.
See SYNC does have a benefit that you like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the check engine light in our prior car (2002 Nissan Sentra) has been on for over a year now. I never stressed about it b/c I figured it was just some emissions thing that wouldn't affect the car's ability to operate. But I'm stressed about this one because it's a brand new car! We're going to go run the Vehicle Health Report in a bit. Will that tell us the trouble code? Either way, we'll be letting the dealer know. If nothing else, we want a record of this if it turns out to be an actual problem. We'll be sure to report back here with our findings!

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
See SYNC does have a benefit that you like.
I'm glad to see that there is some actual usefulness to it...I'm not against folks having the option to have sync, I just don't think it is worth the entry price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We ran the Vehicle Health Report and it said the engine was fine. Maybe it's a malfunction on the light itself? We actually ran 2 reports - the first one with the e-brake on, and it said there was a brake malfunction. Someone else here on the forums had the same experience previously, and it was theorized that it was because of the e-brake. So we ran a second one with the e-brake off but holding the regular brake down, and the brake malfunction warning disappeared. We'll call the dealer tomorrow, because if nothing else, the light needs cleared.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
We'll call the dealer tomorrow, because if nothing else, the light needs cleared.

For the record make sure that you get them to check the code number...

Although the sync may give a edited report of the health of the engine it may not provide all of the data that would be provided by way of the Ford scan tool....

Ask the dealer to pull the code and have a work order written. The car is under warranty so this service is totally FREE to you.

Post back with the result...my guess is that it may not be directly an engine issue it could be anything from tranny to brakes, to airbag related or anything in between.

Unless the problem was very intermittent it would have not illumininated the light

You can have a code without the light ..that is called a "pending code" which simply means that the ECU thinks that the occurance of the event is rare and is not YET meriting of the light. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anyone with an OBD-II scan tool can read (and clear) the code behind the check engine light. Obviously, the actual code then indicates what may need to be fixed. A Ford-specific scan tool that the dealer has may provide more information, especially for things not directly related to emissions where "universal" codes are issued to generic scan tools.

Since the car is new and under warranty, why not go to the dealer for a warranty repair?

(Of course, if you have a ScanGauge or other OBD-II scanner, you can read the code yourself if you are curious, but for an in-warranty car, best to leave it there (i.e. don't clear it) as evidence in case a warranty repair is needed.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My husband just took the Fiesta to the dealer, and they said it was a code for the oxygen sensor. They think it needs replaced, and they said another Fiesta they had in there had the same code a few days ago, so they ordered some sensors from Ford. They'll call us when they come in and we'll get it replaced under the warranty. In the meantime, we now know for sure that we're okay to drive it.

It's weird that our dealer is claiming they've seen two of these, yet no one else here has reported a similar problem. We were wondering if they had seen the code on our car prior to selling it to us and didn't tell us about it :confused:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
So far we haven't had one in for an 02 sensor but there are bound to be issues any time you bring a new car to market.

When the Focus came here from Europe there were issues with that car as well and just like the Fiesta it had been released over seas for a couple years before it came here and the issues didn't appear with the cars until they hit this market.

At least it was something minor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My check engine light just came on this morning! I'm at 2,525 miles and I've had it for 2 months. Drove straight to the mechanic with it, but they're really busy so I probably won't get the car back until tomorrow. Hopefully they'll call today and tell me what the problem is.

I pulled over and checked the oil but the level is actually quite full. The SYNC muti-fuctional display flashed "Hill assist not available" at me for a second after I turned the car back on, so that may be what it is.

Nothing actually seemed wrong with the car, though. Drove fine to the mechanic's, no warning beeps or bells.

Forehead slap. I totally forgot SYNC has this feature. I thought I just bought it so I'd have somebody to yell and curse at while I'm driving.

ETA: they just cleared the light and drove it a few times and sent me on my way. The error indicated something was evaporating, possibly fuel from the gas tank. The light hasn't come on since.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
My husband just took the Fiesta to the dealer, and they said it was a code for the oxygen sensor. They think it needs replaced, and they said another Fiesta they had in there had the same code a few days ago, so they ordered some sensors from Ford. They'll call us when they come in and we'll get it replaced under the warranty. In the meantime, we now know for sure that we're okay to drive it.

It's weird that our dealer is claiming they've seen two of these, yet no one else here has reported a similar problem. We were wondering if they had seen the code on our car prior to selling it to us and didn't tell us about it :confused:
Did you get a work order for the diagnosis ???

You SHOULD ALWAYS make sure that the dealer makes a hard copy of a RO and it should be entered into their computer system as well..

What does the work order say if you have it?

It should indicate the P code number and the action they have taken.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Remember: It's not a new car.....

So far we haven't had one in for an 02 sensor but there are bound to be issues any time you bring a new car to market.

When the Focus came here from Europe there were issues with that car as well and just like the Fiesta it had been released over seas for a couple years before it came here and the issues didn't appear with the cars until they hit this market.

At least it was something minor.
Why are all these idiots babbling about "new car to market" it's just being built in a new factory. Nothing new about it......No different than when they moved the crown vic from Michigan to Canada.....just production changes...that's all!

What are these idiots thinking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why are all these idiots babbling about "new car to market" it's just being built in a new factory. Nothing new about it......No different than when they moved the crown vic from Michigan to Canada.....just production changes...that's all!

Having experienced the 2000 Focus debut firsthand, I'll go way out on a limb and suggest that the "idiots" realize that not every single part of the North American Fiesta is identical to the corresponding part of the EU Focus. They probably also realize that even those parts that seem identical often came from different suppliers. It's not a BRAND NEW car in the ultimate sense of those words, but it is new in many subtle ways and there are bound to be glitches here and there as the seemingly old but actually new parts are melded together into a great little package.

Is it necessary to refer to others on the board who offer opinions differing from our own as "idiots"?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

That seems a bit harsh,

The Fiesta isn't a brand new car but it is new to the market and there's all kinds of variables to account for.

Fuel quality for one, climate, etc.

One of the issues when the Focus first came was with the rear drum seals, they apparently had no issues in Europe but here in the Northern climates the harsh chemicals used on the roads were getting in and eating bearings and spindles.

Then there were silly things like the rear seat hinges and a-pillar trim that only became issues in our overly litigious society.

There are bound to be issues the first year or two of any car in a new market regardless of it's track record in another market.

It's just the way things go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts