Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has seen a reputable chip or ECM or ECU anywhere. ( I use all the names I've heard it called as different manufactures and consumers alike call it different things) As horsepower gains are great, and MPG are even better I'm fairly interested. My thoughts now are that an untailored chip that's just one size fits most is a waste, and I'd like your feed back.
I've done a full ECU swap with a core fee before and noticed great gains but "chips" always seemed like a ricer term to me, and a myth over fact.
So my question is has anyone done any tuning from something they bought, rather than taking it somewhere? And if so, how did you like it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll be honest that I have been extremely disappointed with the aftermarket for this car. Very few systems and support available. Maybe I expected more since I am use to cars that have a larger aftermarket following, but I figured with the hype that this car had and its decent sales numbers and being out for almost a year I figured that it would get more support :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yea there really isnt anything other then bolt ons currently, i dont really see them bringing much for the Fiesta. The new Focus is all the rage now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^^ totally agree..this is the 1st year for the U.S. version..I was surprised they had cai's for it already... same thing with my dodge ram I bought in 05..1st year there wasn't crap, now i can choose between at least 4 different tuners (2 of them can be custom tuned too) and lotsa other bolt-on stuff now that wasn't available in 05... give it time, stuff will come..

·
Registered
832 Posts
the new 5.0 in the mustangs took alittle longer to make tunes for because of the timing tricks it uses to make the power. the fiesta uses these same tricks. Keep in mind that many more people that own mustangs buy tunes/tuners for them then fiesta owners. My bet is they have a lack of intrest and a hard time getting anymore power out of the motor as is. I mean they really cant make a tune load it on a tuner and sell it for $300 or more if it only adds 5hp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I mean they really cant make a tune load it on a tuner and sell it for $300 or more if it only adds 5hp.
Not to come off as a jerk, but what have they been doing with focus's all these years? You're not going to get mega power gains out of a tuner on a 1.6Liter car with a flash tuner unless you are going the route of forced induction. I would guess at best, with bolt-on parts, the difference between a tuned car and a non tuned car will only be about 5-7hp. There simply isn't enough engine to make significant hp levels beyond that. I don't know that a tuner is something I would purchase right away, but it would be nice to see some available. a 5whp increase would definitely be noticeable in a car as light as the fiesta. Not saying it would throw you back in your seat like an 03-04 cobra, but it would be a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I sure wish we had Mountune Performance on this side of the pond, they are wicked Fiesta tuners!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes I know about Mountune, however, I was referring to what is available in the US. That being a CAI and catback exhaust. Since a header and cams aren't available here,(you could buy them and have shipped, but I doubt many would for the price) those aren't really viable options for people tuning. I would also like to point out that a majority of the power they made with that setup was from the cams and header. Granted the tune made it all work, but there is absolutely no way a tune alone with a cai and catback could net you that kind of hp. My basic point I was trying to make was that with this size motor, and the parts readily available here in the US, you are only looking at 5-7hp gain from a tune with bolt on parts. I am referring to the difference in hp between a car with cai and exhaust- no tune vs a car with cai exhaust and a tune. I guess I should have expressed that better in my previous post.

- Mike

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yes I know about Mountune, however, I was referring to what is available in the US. That being a CAI and catback exhaust. Since a header and cams aren't available here,(you could buy them and have shipped, but I doubt many would for the price) those aren't really viable options for people tuning. I would also like to point out that a majority of the power they made with that setup was from the cams and header. Granted the tune made it all work, but there is absolutely no way a tune alone with a cai and catback could net you that kind of hp. My basic point I was trying to make was that with this size motor, and the parts readily available here in the US, you are only looking at 5-7hp gain from a tune.

- Mike
You're right about all of it, I just like to drool over the possibilities. When a tune comes, it should really fling the doors open to all kinds of sweet goodies!

Though, 5 to 7 hp seems low to me as far as a tune alone. Not that it's a huge difference, but I would think maybe 10hp would be possible on a premium fuel bump. At least I hope so! If I can get 4 or 6 more hp out of my bike(I know it's apples and chicken) from a fi module (Sv 650), I hope an ecu controlled variable timing engine should(I hope) be able to squeeze 10 hp out of advancing the timing (if even possible)?

Ack, bike tuning is sooo much simpler... :)

·
Banned
241 Posts
^^^

Sick.

People are going to want to mod this vehicle hands down.

If someone could get around to altering/designing software that lets tuners communicate with the car and its commands..

We'd be set.

People will want to turbo and have better "Driveability" in their Fiesta's.

There is a market in tuning any car

The fiesta can't be the only one with this new software.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You do realize that 5hp is like almost 5%

I doubt you will get any more than that.

If you could get 5hp and 1-2mpg I would pay a couple hundo for it....even better if you could pump up that dead zone from 1.5-2.5k rpm

·
Banned
241 Posts
^^^

Exactly

Driveability

take the lag out of the "drive by wire"

Firm up shifts in an automatic..

Shift timing..

Tire size...

a 91 tune has to net atleast 5%

which is worth it to me.

Once you can datalog, you can do anyhting to the car

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I sure wish we had Mountune Performance on this side of the pond, they are wicked Fiesta tuners!
We do, Roush owns mountune. If we start harassing, I mean contacting them politely, maybe they'll give our fiestas some sweet lovin! Nah, never happen....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think the 5 hp number is with 91-93 oct..

my 09 mustang gt with a steeda 91 tune and cai with highflow elbow and a mac axleback got 33 hp

ford/shelby only got 19 more hp out of the shelby gt. the shelby has a cai, tune, xpipe, mufflers and magic badges

1 - 20 of 37 Posts