Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thru trial and error I found out that Windex leaves a film on the Fiesta's glass. On every other car we've owned this really wasn't a problem, maybe Windex changed their formulation slightly and that's the cause?

I thought it over and decided to use Peak Windshield Washer Fluid in a Windex bottle instead. It doesn't leave any film, but it's also not something I want to use inside the car for fear of drips onto the instrument panel covering.

My biggest problem is, the windshield's forward-slope is just steep enough to make a thorough top-to-bottom interior cleaning nearly impossible. There's a slight hazy film that accumulates in patches on the glass during the week, and when I use damp paper towels I can usually clear some (but not all) of the film off the glass.

My question is, is there a gadget for sale that you can use with a pad to reach the bottom of the windshield for a complete cleaning all the way across? I was in Wal-Green's the other day and they're selling this version of a windshield cleaning kit: It has a pad that attaches to a long plastic handle and you use that to swab/wipe the glass to clean it. It's one of those "As Seen On Tv" things, so it probably won't stand up to repeated use as time goes on.

We don't smoke, so that's not gonna be a problem. But it appears that simply exhaling is enough to put a light "breath-film" on the glass, and it's a bit of a chore to clean off.

If anybody has any ideas on this I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Harry :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I uses "Sprayway" glass cleaner and a small sponge/squeegee on the inside of the glass (where it can reach) and then wipe it good with newspaper rather than paper towels. To protect the dash while I'm cleaning I just put a large towel over it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We don't smoke, so that's not gonna be a problem. But it appears that simply exhaling is enough to put a light "breath-film" on the glass, and it's a bit of a chore to clean off.

If anybody has any ideas on this I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Harry :)
It's not you breathing that puts a film on your windows, it's all the plastics and paints used in/on the car out-gassing as they continue to dry out over time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the windshield slope is bothersome. And it has been difficult to clean near the bottom where it meets the dash..... I have used Perfect Glass (Bed Bath and Beyond) and it cleans glass beautifully. I also use microfiber cloths. Another excellent cleaner I have found is Invisible Glass.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just don't use any window cleaner that has ammonia in it as it will damage tint, plastic and leather as will as being bad to breathe in. Most home type window cleaner has ammonia btw.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's not you breathing that puts a film on your windows, it's all the plastics and paints used in/on the car out-gassing as they continue to dry out over time.
This is true. As the plastics and adhesives continue to cure (and they will for a long time), it puts a haze on the glass (especially on hot days). I use a clean dry microfiber cloth and just wipe. Unless you have more than the haze that collects, a dry cloth is all you need most of the time.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah the windshield is a pain plain and simple have not bought any products to clean it because the people at the auto spa take care of that just fine haha:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Griots garages item on the left, ebay generic item on the right. I use the Griots style one on the Lotus, the bottom of the windshield on it is about 500% harder to reach than the Fiesta.....
I had to laugh at what you called a generic item. Does no one remember the history of the Fuller Brush Company??? Looks like they are into window cleaners now. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is true. As the plastics and adhesives continue to cure (and they will for a long time), it puts a haze on the glass (especially on hot days). I use a clean dry microfiber cloth and just wipe. Unless you have more than the haze that collects, a dry cloth is all you need most of the time.
You're somewhat right and somewhat wrong. You're correct in your statement about adhesives but thermoplastics don't "cure" like thermosets, rubbers, and epoxies do. Once a thermoplastic cools to below its Tm, it wont be releasing any of its crystaline or amorphous polymer structures into the air for a least a couple hundred years, and more likely thousands, and in some cases tens of thousands of years. Thermoplastics can and will leach chemicals as vapor or particulate into the air but it is not the polyermer structure itself that is being released. They can leach out any additives that are used to reach desired material properties. Some common ones that can migrate and release are calcium carbonate, plasticizers, flame retardants, anti fungal and bacterials, stablizers, and UV retardants. The most common in automobiles are UV retardants and plasticizers. UV retardants are obviously used more for any components that will see sun exposure, but plasticizers are used to increase flexibility, and give plastics softer, more fluid surface appearances. And they leach pretty easy, with time, temp, and movement. All things than affect the crystalline structure of a polymer, and thus migration through it.

One tid-bit... You've heard of Amoral? It's pure plasticizer. And it draws the plasticizer out of whatever it's applied to at a phenomenal rate. This is why it will make your dash look great for a few years, but if you stop, your plastic dash will be lefted dried, discolored, and dull. It's best to stay clear of those kinds of products because once the plasticizer comes out, it's never going back in.

:),

Your friendly Plastics Engineer

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
... My question is, is there a gadget for sale that you can use with a pad to reach the bottom of the windshield for a complete cleaning all the way across? I was in Wal-Green's the other day and they're selling this version of a windshield cleaning kit: It has a pad that attaches to a long plastic handle and you use that to swab/wipe the glass to clean it. It's one of those "As Seen On Tv" things, so it probably won't stand up to repeated use as time goes on. ...
This pad will hold up pretty well. We've had one for a couple years now and used it on the Neon and now the Fiesta. Find/use a non-ammonia cleaner (as noted already) and dampen the pad. Does quite well reaching the bottom of the windshield.

The microfiber pad is washable so simply toss it in with a load.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Griots garages item on the left, ebay generic item on the right. I use the Griots style one on the Lotus, the bottom of the windshield on it is about 500% harder to reach than the Fiesta.....

Fuller MICRO FIBER GLASS WINDOW CAR WINDSHIELD CLEANER - eBay (item 370342052793 end time Sep-25-10 13:13:39 PDT)

Window Cleaner Set - Glass Cleaning - Car Care - Griot's Garage
Niiiice! Will have to check that out! Anyone know if the usual auto parts places would carry something like this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the As you see it on TV wipe thing. Seems to work great for me. I spray some rubbing alcohol on the pad and it cleans the window well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It was either sit outside or roam Bad Breath and Beyond with my wife, I choose the later and found this.

It's $10 and refill microfiber pads are 4 for $10.

The handle has a universal type joint attaching it to the pad so it pivots in all directions. Does the Stoner unit pivot in all directions?

·
Registered
456 Posts
It was either sit outside or roam Bad Breath and Beyond with my wife, I choose the later and found this.

It's $10 and refill microfiber pads are 4 for $10.

The handle has a universal type joint attaching it to the pad so it pivots in all directions. Does the Stoner unit pivot in all directions?
Yes. Get the Invisible Glass and you're set.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just the leave the windows and whole car filthy, I think I washed and cleaned the car like 8 months ago haha and that was because the dealer washed it after a service hahaha. soo lazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts