Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put 100,000 on my 2014 Fiesta with the Ecoboost motor. It's never given me any trouble though I've worried way too much about a catastrophe due to cooling system failure.

My local Ford dealer seems clueless, once saying that "Ford wouldn't put that engine out there if it had problems."

I realize that most of the serious problems came from the European version with different hoses than our North American version, which came in 2014 AFTER those problems had been experienced. We here have different and very tough hoses that probably won't fail. Also, no plastic sections.

But unlike conventional water pumps that will keep spinning though they may leak, mine is electric and cold simply short out and stop. That wouldn't be good. Also, there may be other parts that might fail after 5 years.

So...should I replace a bunch of hoses anyway, just to be on the safe side? What about the plastic overflow container? And what about that water pump? It might cost some $500-800 in all but would this be insurance that would get me to 200,000?

And a side note: would you let a dealer in Prescott AZ (50,000) change your timing belt at 140,000 -- his first one -- or would you go to the biggest dealer in Phoenix who's probably done it before?

Your suggestions go all of the above will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
650 Posts
I too have a 2014 1.0L fiesta. I'm at 132K miles. While the majority of the problems were experienced by the european fiesta with regards to the cooling system, we do have plastic hoses in the cooling system and IMO very fragile connections to the degas bottle (overflow tank). Our main water pump is conventional (mechanical) and is subject to failure. I replaced mine due to a leak at 80K. The electric water pump is used to circulate coolant after engine shutoff if a particular temperature is exceeded.

I am planning on changing the timing belt at or around 150K myself. At that time I will replace the cooling system hoses as a preventative measure. I do not trust my local dealership to change the timing belt mostly because I don't think they would bleed the cooling system properly. This is a very important step that has caused several owners much grief because it wasn't done properly (my speculation)

I currently have a very very small leak at the water pump. I monitor my coolant level periodically though. At this point I'm more concerned with engine longevity than with fuel mileage so I run my ac all the time which lowers my engine operating temp but decreases my fuel mileage. I still average close to 41 mpg though.

These are my thoughts and are worth what you paid for them... maybe less.:)

Edit:

I'm thinking that with the scarcity of this car there probably aren't many dealers that have done a timing belt change yet. Maybe there are. I know my local dealer hasn't

To be clear, my plan is to replace the timing belt, oil pump belt, serpentine belt, water pump, degas bottle, and ALL coolant hoses.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I’m in Thailand where it’s always hot, so am also concerned about the cooling system. My car is also running the Superchips Bluefin stage 1 tune and Mountune intercooler.
I run an Ultraguage so I can monitors the actual coolant temp, rather than rely on the misleading indicator bars.
I’ve had the fan relay replaced under warranty as the fan wasn’t shifting to high speed when required.
I’ve had the coolant expansion bottle replaced under warranty as it was leaking through “microcracks” presumably at high temps. It’s worth checking the bottle regularly.
I regularly check the coolant cap and lubricate it with silicone lubricant so it doesn’t stick.
I check the coolant level daily.
I plan on:
- installing a low coolant alarm
I’m considering:
- replacing the OEM coolant hoses with silicone hoses
- replacing the OEM primary thermostat with a lower opening temperature version
- installing an air to oil cooler and deleting the OEM water to oil cooler
- installing dedicated oil and coolant temp sensors
They are great little engines, provided they don’t suffer any heat stress. Coolant loss is the biggest killer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just ordered a new coolant reservoir and the two coolant hoses that have plastic connectors in the reservoir end. Hoping that this will act as a preventative measure. I'll have my local Ford dealer to install them. No problems with the engine so far. It's done 57 000 miles now. (1.0 Ecoboost 125bhp Fiesta 2014)

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a very smart move! All the parts needed will probably be less money than the cost of a five Mile tow to the nearest dealership that will just give you bad news several days later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know what the hell is this but seems that both new coolant hose connectors in my Fiesta are leaking slightly. I took my car to Ford dealership and they installed a new coolant reservoir and the two hoses that have plastic connectors in the coolant reservoir end. Now both connections seem to leak coolant slightly and I'm baffled. The parts seem to be the correct ones since I've visually inspected them and they look similar to the old ones. Is this really the "quality" of genuine Ford parts or do I have some kind of defect in the coolant reservoir.

If I detach the top hose it has a small o ring in it and when I push it back it goes in pretty easily with just a small amount of friction. To me this tells that the fitting is not very tight.

I've attached an image below to show the connectors I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know what the hell is this but seems that both new coolant hose connectors in my Fiesta are leaking slightly. I took my car to Ford dealership and they installed a new coolant reservoir and the two hoses that have plastic connectors in the coolant reservoir end. Now both connections seem to leak coolant slightly and I'm baffled. The parts seem to be the correct ones since I've visually inspected them and they look similar to the old ones. Is this really the "quality" of genuine Ford parts or do I have some kind of defect in the coolant reservoir.

If I detach the top hose it has a small o ring in it and when I push it back it goes in pretty easily with just a small amount of friction. To me this tells that the fitting is not very tight.

Is it weeping when the engine is at operating temperature? In any case, it should be pretty tight. Otherwise the system is leaking and not sealed. Which equals a higher operating temperature.
I would be uncomfortable with this.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Is it weeping when the engine is at operating temperature? In any case, it should be pretty tight. Otherwise the system is leaking and not sealed. Which equals a higher operating temperature.
I would be uncomfortable with this.
Seems that the top connector is weeping a bit when the engine is warm. Bottom one I'm not sure since the top one is dropping coolant on top of the bottom one. Next week I'll see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Leakage equals defective.
Dealer ordered a new coolant reservoir. The one they ordered and installed has a microcrack in the part that connects to the top hose that goes into engine block. They will take the car in on thursday and install new coolant reservoir. I hope they will get the leakage fixed since I'm not completely sure that the leak is because of the crack or maybe because of a faulty plastic hose/connector. Fingers crossed that a new coolant reservoir fixed it and I can use my car normally again... If the new coolant reservoir doesn't fix it then I don't know what they will do. Maybe install a bigger o-ring to the coolant hose connector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now everything is fixed. The dealer changed a new coolant reservoir. This time no leaks anywhere. Hopefully these new parts will last for the rest of the cars lifetime.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now everything is fixed. The dealer changed a new coolant reservoir. This time no leaks anywhere. Hopefully these new parts will last for the rest of the cars lifetime.
NO. They won't. Especially the coolant reservoir. That is a highly stressed component in a harsh environment. I have determined that the safe time margin is a little more than two years of use. After that, it becomes a time bomb.

·
Registered
218 Posts
NO. They won't. Especially the coolant reservoir. That is a highly stressed component in a harsh environment. I have determined that the safe time margin is a little more than two years of use. After that, it becomes a time bomb.
Agreed. If I keep my car I’ll be replacing the coolant bottle with a metal one once my current new one goes bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed. If I keep my car I’ll be replacing the coolant bottle with a metal one once my current new one goes bad.
Then you just need to keep an eye on the plastic connectors I suppose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just ordered a new coolant reservoir and the two coolant hoses that have plastic connectors in the reservoir end. Hoping that this will act as a preventative measure. I'll have my local Ford dealer to install them. No problems with the engine so far. It's done 57 000 miles now. (1.0 Ecoboost 125bhp Fiesta 2014)
Can you share all the part numbers and cost you paid?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
How did you figure out two years is the safe time margin? I have had my car for 5 years, and put 123,000 miles on it and not had any problems with the reservoir.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How did you figure out two years is the safe time margin? I have had my car for 5 years, and put 123,000 miles on it and not had any problems with the reservoir.
You are very lucky! I used that timeframe from my own experiences with those components. I consider the rubber hoses to have a five year life. Belts are good for 3years of average use. The cost of replacement of those parts is nothing in comparison to the headaches and expense involved when they fail in use, on the road, at an inconvenient time in a a remote place or in the middle of a traffic jam. In other words, there is no convenient time for a catastrophic failure of any of those components

Anyone who has had a severe cooling system breakdown will no doubt agree that had they known how
Much a single fifty mile tow could cost them, they would have much preferred to spend less money than that unplanned tow truck call on replacement of the parts that failed. That is how I rationalize preventive maintenance on cars that I own for many years. It has proven to be a good practice for me.
I have replaced the coolant reservoir on my 2011 Fiesta as part of the PM routine. The reservoir on my 16 Fiesta ST was replaced under warranty after the first overheating episode. I believe my trust issues are grounded in a healthy amount of experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you share all the part numbers and cost you paid?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
The local dealer ordered them for me. The coolant tank was 50€ so it's probably something like 30-40 dollars since Finland where I live is quite expensive place. The coolant hoses were about 50 euro in total. I don't have the part numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts