Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started replacing water pump and timing belt on 2012 1.6 fiesta. I can not seem to break crankshaft bolt free to allow removal of harmonic balancer to access to lower timing pulley. been trying for 2 days. Guess I will have to spring for ford strap wrench part #909-D055 to try to remove this bolt. I know engine turns clockwise rotation looking at it. I trying to loosen bolt by turn CCW rotation with breaker bar but can not seem to hold harmonic balancer in place to loosen.
Anyone used a different approach to getting bolt out? Or is this tool what I need?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What are using to keep the engine in time? You must use the top dead center locating tool pin and I used a tool which locks the flywheel through the starter hole. I would be very impressed if you get the bolt out with a breaker bar. Used my pneumatic impact and 5 second job. Also do not try to hold it in place with the pin, it will break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok went and bought starter fly wheel locking tool. Yea it's a pain to remove starter but it can be done, just 5 bolts and "yes" you can get to it without taking intake out. Installed locking device and with a 3' breaker bar was able to remove bolt by turning ccw. Have now installed timing belt and will complete assembling everything today.
Just a heads up when you buy the tool kit that is used to lock crank shaft at TDC and the cams in place. In order to replace the timing belt make sure it comes with the locking device for the flywheel. Some kits have them, some don't. Not realizing this I bought the one that did not have it, because it was about 15.00 cheaper. Big mistake, had to go back and order one ($30.00) and wait for delivery after having everything apart.
Basically it is really no information out their that you really need this device. But believe me you can not get that bolt loose without it. Also needed to retorque the bolt after installation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad it worked for you. Assembly goes a lot quicker. Do you have all the torque specs? If not pm me and I can give them to you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Starter is pretty easy. Take your airbox completely out and the three bolts are accessible from there. You don't need to disconnect the power wires from it either, there is enough room to slide it out of the way and get the tool in. The flywheel locking tool I bought came with the main bracket and three different size keys that go into the starter hole. The biggest one is what I used and I had it set up on the bracket all the way to the bottom (went by the picture in the haynes manual)

I got the crank bolt out with a regular ratchet with a big wrench on the other end for leverage.

Also the timing cover can be a bitch to get back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had specs. Got everything back together took out for a test run. Everything went good.
Thanks to those who offered assistance during this process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts