Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at both the Prius, and the Fiesta. I actually didn't really consider the Fiesta until recently. The dealer experience has been a bit different though with all the Ford dealerships eager to sell at MSRP with no discounts, compared to Toyota which is offering incentives and two years maintenance.

Anyway, my impression is that they are comparable in specs with the main exception of the Prius obviously getting better city gas mileage. I would guess as much as 50% better in real world conditions. However the Fiesta is about $4k less and has more "entertainment" features while the Prius has more "economy driving" features. What I mean by that, is I could see being entertained by hypermiling in the Prius using the EV/Eco modes, different braking, etc. that would be specific to the Prius.

Any thoughts? I've searched the site here, but failed to find a direct comparison.

Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think it fair to compare a hybrid with the Fiesta and I don't think will find any comparison. You will have to decide which you prefer more: gas mileage or drivability. I do a lot of highway driving, so in my opinion, the Fiesta far outwieghs the Prius with similar MPG, handling, and better available options. If I was doing more city driving, more consideration would have been given to a hybrid. I've never shopped Toyota but I will tell you that I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the Fiesta. It's a very solid and tight car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you enjoy driving, get the Fiesta, if you want a commuter and be a hipster, get the Prius.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
My 2 Cents

When I started thinking about buying a new car I initially looked at hybrids. The environmental impact of the manufacturing, disposal, and replacement (8-10 year life) of the batteries really steered me away. Also, if you have the heat on then the engine has to be on which cuts that precious MPG figure down to below non-hybrids. It rains 9 months out of the year here so you need at the defrost on at least to keep visibility on the windshield. Without a clear environmental benefit (long term), no real MPG benefit most of the time for me, and the possibility of higher repair/maintenance costs down the road I looked for alternatives. I found the Fiesta and the Honda Civic to have the best MPG. The Civic had a lot of room and comfort. But the Fiesta was fun, better handling, and will be more unique on the road. I am happy with my choice. I'd love a Tesla (fully electric), but I probably will never buy a hybrid.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It really depends on your driving pattern. If you spend majority in city or stop-n-go LA freeway then a hybrid MIGHT make sense, but you still won't break even for 8-10 years. If you are driving a hybrid at highway speeds most of the time you probably won't break even.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Relative to the Fiesta, the Prius:

* is bigger (more room inside, but also harder to fit in small parking spaces, though still smaller than many other cars)
* uses about 20% less fuel for my (mostly highway) driving (this is from my driving a co-worker's Prius on a trip similar to my own driving)
* is more expensive (probably about $6,000 more based on how I would theoretically buy a Prius)
* has a softer ride and less sporty handling (less desirable for me, but many buyers in the US prefer that)

Purely in price versus fuel savings, the Prius would likely save me about $200 per year, not exactly a great tradeoff for a $6,000 higher price. Since I do not really need to extra space, and prefer the sportier handling and the firm but not harsh ride of the Fiesta, the Prius is less desirable for me. Some other people may come to different conclusions and choices, of course.

As far as environmental impact of manufacturing a car, I did read something that could be simplified into approximating the gallons of gasoline energy equivalent of that used in making a car. Basically, divide the weight in pounds by 3.3 for a non-hybrid car and 2.9 for a hybrid car to get gallons of gasoline equivalent to the amount of energy used.

So if one uses this approximation, making a 3,000 pound Prius uses energy equivalent to about 1,034 gallons of gasoline, while making a 2,600 pound Fiesta uses energy equivalent to about 788 gallons of gasoline. In contrast, making a 6,000 pound large non-hybrid SUV uses energy equivalent to 1,818 gallons of gasoline.:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you enjoy driving, get the Fiesta, if you want a commuter and be a hipster, get the Prius.
I second this.... the handling is amazing and you will not get that with a prius... I would be interesting to see what impact the fiesta will have on the prius, my mpg have not fallen below 35 and that includes city driving, I cant say nothing bad about this car it is the ultimate driving experience especially with sync

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a ton for the replies, this was the kind of feedback I was looking for!

This will be a tough decision, most of the driving will be in town (stop and go) so I would expect the fuel economy to be significantly better with the Prius. However we are in Minnesota, so not sure how much of an impact the cold temps will have on the hybrid system compared to the Fiesta mpg's.

We do have concerns about the total environmental impact of the Prius, as well as the long term reliability. I just read an article today about the problems people are having with the Honda Civic Hybrid (link to article here).

What about the interior, fit and finish? Do you guys think the Fiesta has pretty good quality interior?

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
What about the interior, fit and finish? Do you guys think the Fiesta has pretty good quality interior?
Compared to a '11 Toyota Sienna, a lot of the interior plastics are better on the Fiesta, especially the soft covering on the dash and the glove box. The glove box felt thin & brittle on the Toyota. It was a rental Toyota with only 1,100 miles but already the usb/jack was punched in. I was not impressed. Maybe a car sourced from Japan might be better detailed & built than a USA sourced minivan. Pretty much everything your hand rests on is decent quality in the Fiesta. Fabrics are sturdy. Only 1,500 miles on mine, but no rattles, better than the Sienna at the same point.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A few years ago I did a quick calculation while at work on how much you would have to drive to make up the difference in price between a scion xa (13k) and a prius (about 21k) It would take over 300k miles to make it up in gas.

I think the Fiesta has a great interior. The soft dash is great, and makes a lot of my friends that bought "better" cars upset there car has had plastic. Car is also very quiet at 70mph compaired to many other cars in this price from my experiences. (not having to have my phones volume up all the way to hear it)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hmmmmmm,...Minnesota. Well, I think someone mentioned this above but, it is my understanding that if you have the heater on, the Prius will run completely on the gas engine. How often in the fall, winter and spring do you not use your heater?

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The Prius is a joke!!!!

The fact of the matter is that it took much more raw material and energy to make the prius...it has TWO engines for crying out loud..and when the battery needs to be replaced it will be quite a job to recycle it.

It just goes to show you that many Americans are very easily conned by clever marketing.

If you really want efficient a diesel is the way to go, and with CleanDiesel (which is even now used by Ford in Europe), these models match ULEV emissions standards.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A few years ago I did a quick calculation while at work on how much you would have to drive to make up the difference in price between a scion xa (13k) and a prius (about 21k) It would take over 300k miles to make it up in gas.
The Prius is bigger than the Scion xA; a better comparison vehicle would be the Matrix (or Vibe). Unless you were referring to the (smaller sedan) 2001-generation Prius, where the closest comparison vehicle was the Echo (it would take a very long time for the 2001-generation Prius to recover its extra cost versus an already fuel-efficient cheap Echo that was about the same size).

·
Registered
554 Posts
The fact of the matter is that it took much more raw material and energy to make the prius...it has TWO engines for crying out loud..and when the battery needs to be replaced it will be quite a job to recycle it.
Recycling hybrid cars' batteries is not really a problem in practice -- cars are recycled anyway because junk cars are too large to dispose of in any way besides sending to a salvage yard, and salvage yards will not ignore selling the batteries to metal recyclers who know that mining nickel and rare earth metals from hybrid cars' batteries is a lot better and cheaper way to get those metals than extracting it from dirt.

Yes, a hybrid car is somewhat more energy intensive to make than a similar size non-hybrid car, but not so much more that you can say that it is always worse in lifecycle energy use.

If you really want efficient a diesel is the way to go, and with CleanDiesel (which is even now used by Ford in Europe), these models match ULEV emissions standards.
These days, diesel cars are only available in the US from German companies (VW, BMW, Mercedes). And that means expensive engines, expensive maintenance, and sometimes questionable reliability. Whether that is a characteristic of the engines or the companies, it does serve as a deterrent to buying them.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wrong they used to claim that they used more energy producing the Prius than they did a Hummer. However it has since been discredited. 'Dust to dust' is dust: Prius uses less energy than Hummer | Crave - CNET
Regardless of whatever that study says, let me repeat what basically Jeremy Clarkson says basically.....You have to be a real idiot or really hate driving cars to have a hybrid.

Look at the LS460h, it's a hybrid with a big V8 that's supposed to compete with its V12 competitors, it basically fails at every category. Hybrids are stupid, plain and simple, like golfstorm said, if you're really concerned about the environment write your local congressman about using more diesel. Or use public transportation.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d

The Toyota hybrid is hailed as an eco-paragon, so how does it fare against a big BMW? To find out our correspondents go on a run to Geneva

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece

(Note: these are Imperial Miles, not US Miles, and matching MPGs)

---

Also note: overhere Hybrids are used by car lease companies, because of a favorable tax deduction. But since they are commuter cars, they are rarely driven in town, where the electric engine is used. Rather they drive on the freeway, using their tiny (Prius: 1.5 l) thus high revving petrol engines.

·
Registered
343 Posts
After test driving the prius and insight this weekend i'd have to say people would be crazy to get the prius. The extra 8mpg you get over the insight does not make up for the terrible ride and interior quality.

The insight was nice. The ride and interior were not nearly as good as the fiesta but the city mpg is much better. I can see the insight giving some competition to the fiesta but after my test-drives I really don't understand a prius purchase at all.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d

The Toyota hybrid is hailed as an eco-paragon, so how does it fare against a big BMW? To find out our correspondents go on a run to Geneva

Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d review | Used Car Reviews | Driving - Times Online
A big BMW with a small fuel efficient diesel engine not offered in the US.:(

Also, while the BMW 520d costs about 31% more than the Prius in the UK (based on prices listed in the article), the price of a base model BMW 5-series (528i) in the US will buy two Priuses in the US.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts