Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay everyone, I have a 2019 Fiesta S with a 1.6l. I been wanting to put a CIA and header on it from day one and I'm finely getting around to it.
But I had a quick question about the CIA, in place of buying a 200 or so dollar kit could I not just take the stock air box off and put tube and cone filter on it. And what about cutting open the stock air box? The stock box has a little 2in hole for air intake but the filter/box is much bigger so the bottom or better yet side could be cut open to allow more air into the motor.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Idk about the 2019 but the 2011 has an intake from the front upper grill that goes down and up inside the Air Box. The CAI will have more of a smooth air flow over the stock intake. If you cut open the box you wont have that fresh air coming from the front of the car and without a heatshield you will have hot air from engine bay going in your engine. CAIs usually have a heatshield or they have longer tubes that pull cold air from with in the fender/front bumper. You wont get much HP out of a CAI, it is more for looks and possibly a sound improvement.

Air doesn't really care if it goes through a cone or a flat air filter, only how restrictive is the filter. Regarding the size of the hole/tube, it doesn't really matter since in the end it only depends on how big the throttle body is.

The 2011 has a tube insert inside the Air Box that probably isolates the cold air going to the filter to keep it cooler because I am sure the Air Box gets warm/hot after a long drive.

If you are not sure about spending the money on the CAI I would just leave the box as is and just replace the filter with a better one. If you still want to cut your Air Box go ahead but I would buy a stock air box as a back up just in case you are not happy with the results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2019 S model are completely different. The box doesn’t have the tube coming out of it. It’s mostly a empty box with a little hole in the botttom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had 2011 that i took the nozzle out front top and inside and cut some holes at back of airbox and behind the air tube that runs up. I felt it sounded worse and seems to lose a bit of torque. I covered the holes with duct tape and left nozzle off.

My 2014, i took the nozzle off outside and inside and did not cut any holes. It opens airflow a bit and very mild growl.

Both used stock filter...

For me it's about perfect that way. Ymmv.

Thinking about an exhaust but dont want anything buzzy, drone or too loud. Might try ST exhaust if i ever come across a used

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honestly if its for the overall vibe of the car, 100% go CAI, itll sound a ton better and I love the R2C racing intake. Looks great, sounds great and didnt really break the bank. You might end up with more problems cutting up the airbox and eventually just get a CAI instead. Itll be a much cleaner job dropping the cash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly if its for the overall vibe of the car, 100% go CAI, itll sound a ton better and I love the R2C racing intake. Looks great, sounds great and didnt really break the bank. You might end up with more problems cutting up the airbox and eventually just get a CAI instead. Itll be a much cleaner job dropping the cash.

I have a 2019, says its for upto 2015. Otherwise thats what I would get.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Id definitely send an email to the main guy, [email protected] they can check to see if itll fit. the 19 is still in the Mk7.5 family, same with my 2015. Just looking at 2019 Fiesta engine bay pics, its looking identical to my 15. They probably just havent updated the listing in the last few years to include the whole mk7.5 line.

Reactions: austin86

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id definitely send an email to the main guy, [email protected] they can check to see if itll fit. the 19 is still in the Mk7.5 family, same with my 2015. Just looking at 2019 Fiesta engine bay pics, its looking identical to my 15. They probably just havent updated the listing in the last few years to include the whole mk7.5 line.
I just emailed them. My bet if there is a difference its the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts