Fiesta Faction banner

Did you get Powershift or 5 Speed Manual?

• Powershift 6-Speed Automatic

Votes: 152 48.9%
  • 5-Speed Manual

Votes: 159 51.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the 5 speed because I like to shift, also cheaper. Actually, I'd pay extra for a manual. I would not have bought the Fiesta if it was auto only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the Powershift - don't like to shift - sit in too much traffic!

·
Registered
413 Posts
PowerShift. I figure with my driving habits I'll save more than the extra cost in fuel over the time I'll own the Fiesta.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
5 speed manual all the way! I prefer to do all my own upshifting and downshifting. I am dissapointed in the US gear ratio's, since they really robbed the car of performance. I think the 6 speed auto is a better option based on the ratio's, but not as fun to drive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I really, really wanted a standard but ended up getting an automatic because my wife doesn't want to / thinks she can't learn how to drive standard.

I really enjoy driving her Fiesta, so I don't think having the automatic is going to bother me all that much.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I test drove an automatic to see if I'd like it; I'm currently driving a manual. I am going with an automatic because the ride was so smooth. I was worried the engine and transmission would sound weird to me, shifting itself, but it was fine. I'm not an "intense" driver, so I am fine giving over the reigns in this way.

This should be a poll!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I got the Powershift. I was tired of driving a manual.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got the Powershift in part for the fuel economy. It's probably one of the best automatics I've driven in a small car. If they would have offered paddle shifters, I would have spent the extra money to get it for the extra control.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I got the Powershift. I was tired of driving a manual.
That is the exact reason why I went with the Powershift plus the added bonus of more MPG was nice also. It feels a little weirder when taking off from lights compared to other automatic transmissions though. I have also noticed that when I let off the gas it doesn't seem to shift out of gear and coast but does actually stay in gear and proved engine braking. I would thought that Ford would have written the shift strategy to let it coast for nore fuel economy. I have been actually using as a manual and shifting to neutral when I want to coast.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It feels a little weirder when taking off from lights compared to other automatic transmissions though.
Have you tried an accel from a stop in L range? Some of the reviews said that was more fun in the autocross that the manual but I never had the opportunity to try it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Have you tried an accel from a stop in L range? Some of the reviews said that was more fun in the autocross that the manual but I never had the opportunity to try it.
Yeah that makes it a little more normal feeling. I actually had a chance to start on an incline yesterday and the hill start was active I guess and it felt completly normal then.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I got the 5 speed manual because it will be so much better for driving when we get all of the snow. This last winter the snowbank out front was taller than my house!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I chose the 5 speed that way i could have a little more control, plus i just like to shift. it also saved me money so that i could get some upgrades

·
Registered
421 Posts
My feeling is the car has a general sporting feel to it. I would have had a manual either way but the car's overall nature speaks to a manual. I do a lot of traffic too but still feel like shifting the car myself. It makes sense though as I'm not a lounging/relaxed type of driver, I don't like anything automatic like auto lights and the car making the decision about locking certain areas etc. I never use the automatic lights on my LS and I abhore the locking logic the Fiesta has.....sure like shifting the Fiesta though. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
You would normally expect a manual in an S to keep it cheap and an automatic in a SES because of the luxury trim. Not true for Fiesta at all!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My feeling is the car has a general sporting feel to it. I would have had a manual either way but the car's overall nature speaks to a manual. I do a lot of traffic too but still feel like shifting the car myself. It makes sense though as I'm not a lounging/relaxed type of driver, I don't like anything automatic like auto lights and the car making the decision about locking certain areas etc. I never use the automatic lights on my LS and I abhore the locking logic the Fiesta has.....sure like shifting the Fiesta though. :)
Disagree. My feeling is that the Fiesta is an economy car designed for high fuel mileage so, the automatic Powershift makes more sense.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wish there was a "I got an automatic, but only because I couldn't wait for the manual to arrive any longer" option. :(

That being said, I don't mind it. It is less work. It's just less work I loved doing. :(

I'm going to go cheer up in some other thread.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
My feeling is that the Fiesta is an economy car designed for high fuel mileage so, the automatic Powershift makes more sense.
I agree with these sentiments. The Fiesta is quite sporty, but it is marketed as and competing as a MPG winner. Also, this poll reaffirms the fact that members of this forum do not represent a majority of drivers since less than 10% of new cars are bought as manuals now-a-days.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts