Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I should explain that I live off a dirt road and that I drive a cumulative minimum of ten miles of dirt road every week.

As I was filling up yesterday, I noticed an awful lot of dust & grit around and in the gas tank filler hole. The dirt was covering everything inside the capless filler door. I could see where the filler nozzle had made scrape marks in the dirt on the locking metal door leading into the tank. That leads me to believe that the nozzle has pushed dirt into the tank.

The rubber seal on the outer door apparently isn't sealing as well as it should. I foolishly (in hindsight) wiped everything off, so I can't take it to the dealer yet until it gets dirty again, but I stuffed a small rag down the hole to keep dirt out of there for now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ordered a locking cap on ebay

OEM FORD 2011 11 FIESTA LOCKING GAS FUEL PLUG CAP: eBay Motors (item 250697307230 end time Oct-15-10 05:53:50 PDT)

they got it to me in 2 days. I haven't put it on yet since my Fiesta isn't really left in bad areas, but looks like it will work as advertised.

I got it because I don't like the idea of my fuel tank being exposed to anyone that wants to open the door. I wish Ford would have made the gas tank door as well as the gas tank filler port cap, lock and unlock with all other doors according to weather all doors are locked/unlocked and then just provide a nice sanitary holder for the cap. Instead, I had to buy an aftermarket OEM cap for some peace of mind and now carry around a key just for the filler cap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My salesman is trying to sell me the gas plug for $177.00!!! Guess
He's trying to make up for selling the car for invoice.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I bet you could find some type of rubber/synthetic plug at a hardware store for $1.77 that would do the same job. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Locking cap

Check with TeamFord (Bill Jenkins) or SVTParts (Steve at Tousley Ford)--they are sponsors and "straight-shooters". BTW, I got a locking plug with my Fiesta for less than $25.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The locking cap is the door or a plug that goes over the filler tube? The capless gas tank makes sense if you're racing at a NASCAR race and don't want to spend the time unscrewing the cap. Personally, I don't have a problem with a cap.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
That capless gas cover is just marketing BS....I hope they go back to a NORMAL cap next year.

BTW most Fiesta owners probably hate ASSCAR anyhow..I certainly do...how many right turns can you make before the fan goes to sleep .

·
Registered
984 Posts
That capless gas cover is just marketing BS....I hope they go back to a NORMAL cap next year.

BTW most Fiesta owners probably hate ASSCAR anyhow..I certainly do...how many right turns can you make before the fan goes to sleep .
I am a NASCAR fan and a Fiesta owner and once again you are talking about something that you know nothing about because they don't turn right they turn left. Except when they run the roadcourses twice a year.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The locking cap is the door or a plug that goes over the filler tube? The capless gas tank makes sense if you're racing at a NASCAR race and don't want to spend the time unscrewing the cap. Personally, I don't have a problem with a cap.
I believe the capless system first debuted on the 2005 Ford GT. Also, the system claims to reduce the amount of evaporative gas that escapes during gas fill-up.

I am a NASCAR fan and a Fiesta owner and once again you are talking about something that you know nothing about because they don't turn right they turn left. Except when they run the roadcourses twice a year.
Ford made it known they were deploying the capless system across their entire model range starting in 2008. It was in all of the automotive and mainstream press.

Also, I'm sure a lot of NASCAR fans are taking some offense to your reference. NASCAR is a part of our automotive culture and motorsports. Any automotive enthusiast realizes there are forms of professional motorsport that may (or may not) directly appeal to them -- but they RESPECT each others differences and passions; not disrespect them using references (especially in an automotive forum).

I am not really into NASCAR, but I do realize the importance of it to motorsport, the automotive industry, and fellow automotive enthusiasts.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts

LMT, I have watched a little NASCAR and it is painfully boring (at least on the oval tracks) Yep, I forgot which way they always turn, but in any case it is ALWAYS the same direction generally seemingly hundreds of times...Yawn! I don't want to know more about it because it bores me to death!

I'd say it is the most boring sporting I've ever watched.

I don't believe that ANY European Ford models (sold in Europe) have this feature. And they tend to be much more restrictive about evaporative emissions compare to the US.

I hope they delete this in the Fiesta..
The new Focus won't have it because the car is going to be EU with the exception of DOT and EPA changes thank goodness!

The EU Fiesta I drove earlier this year didn't.

Mistakes are made and changes occur...I have heard that after this MY in the USA our Fiesta will revert back to the infinite knob for the seat back adjustment. I'm glad about that because I will probably be buying the car next year.

You have to give me credit because I did know that you could activate the DRLs in the Fiesta with the Ford Scan tool, and no the car didn't have a different wiring harness and or other items like the lighting module.

I do know plenty about the Fiesta because I actually drove the EU car in Europe, and while it is not 100% the same most of the car is similar.

Unfortunately I have choosen to not post my comparo between the US spec and EU car because while the US car is pretty good it doesn't completely live up to the EU car, and I believe that the post would be deleted. I will say that for a driver that is not super sensitive to the very fine tuning and dynamics of the typical premium B class car in Europe most US buyers will PROBABLY not notice the difference....I must admit I did notice the dynamic differences.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I don't believe that ANY European Ford models (sold in Europe) have this feature. And they tend to be much more restrictive about evaporative emissions compare to the US.

I hope they delete this in the Fiesta..
The new Focus won't have it because the car is going to be EU with the exception of DOT and EPA changes thank goodness!
FoE is now using the EasyFuel gas cap, it will also be on the 2012 Focus.

Ford Fiesta - The iconic small city car from Ford - Ford UK
(it's right there under "features")

·
Banned
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Well I'm not too thrilled about that..hopefully the Europeans will resist it and they will make it an option on future MY cars.

I understand why some people might like it, but in reality I think it is a poor idea for a passenger car.

Are you able to lock it?
You can add a $15 locking gas cap if you want. I don't like that there isn't, at the very least, an interior door release.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
You can add a $15 locking gas cap if you want. I don't like that there isn't, at the very least, an interior door release.

Yes, my 13 year old VW Golf has a locking fuel door that is tied into the alarm system it came that way from the factory .It was a great feature then and especially today with gas prices once again on the rise.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I do think history may show the capless fuel feature showed up first on the Mondeo, then in the US on the Ford GT. Either way, the capless fueling has zero to do with NASCAR. Capless fueling fixes a major engineering and emissions hurdle. The feds regulate the amount of fuel vapor that comes out of the tank, and have for years. Anyone remember carbon canisters? Anyway, the manufactures decided the best way to keep vapor from escaping was to make sure the fuel cap was on. If you left the cap off, the CEL light would trigger and you would need to go to the dealer and have it reset. Weirdo's who think big buisness is just out to get them found the CEL from the the loose cap to be a way for the manufactures to get money out of them. So, the capless fuel system solved the issue. By using a twin trap door, the vapors are contained and there is no cap to forget. The enviroment is happy, the consumer is happy. Besides the possibility of dirt getting into the tank, which is something I have not personally seen, there is nothing but advantages to the capless system. 1) faster refuelling since there is no cap 2) no more gas on the hands from getting a few fuel drips on the cap 3) no scratches on the paint from the cap dangling 4) don't have to take your gloves off to turn the cap loose in the winter 5) it makes a fun woooshing sound when the trap doors are open.

I hope more cars continue to come with the system as I find it to be awesome. Golf, all of the Fiesta Movement cars had the capless fueling, and so have most of the EU Fords I have seen. If you drove a Fiesta without the capless system, it was a lower trim model. The capless fuel system is such a huge improvement over the cap that has been in use since the days of the Model T.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The NASCAR reference was used because obviously the cars don't use caps. It doesn't matter to me where the technology was developed and for what purpose.

The 2nd poster of this thread made a good point that I've never given any previous thought until now. The capless system does expose the gas tank. With regards to gas evaporation emissions due to drivers forgetting to put their caps back on, I never thought that such a problem reached an epidemic level as to cause the necessity of installing the technology of Ford's capless fuel door. When gas prices were approaching $5/Gal here in Chicago a couple of years agao, I had locking gas caps on all of my cars (temporarily). I suppose if this was such a problem for me (and it's not), I would install a cap on the fuel inlet.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
well, there is even work being done to capture the fuel vapor at engine shut down to prevent it from escaping thru the air intake. Emissions are a big deal, and all of it is being counted. The capless system has twin trap doors that need to be actived together to gain access to the tank. The first door is opened by the nozzle, and if the nozzle is the correct size, it then activates the second door via a spring actuator. If its not the right size, you need the funnel in the trunk. I find nothing but advantages for the capless system and would not buy another car without it.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Frankly the insane focus on controlling the last 10% of evap emissions is going to be extremely costly, and add a significant amount of technical complexity for the manufacturer, and the consumer in the end, exceedingly so. I also don't think that our planet is not able to adequately cope with naturally eliminating it. I'm all for the 90% control of such things, but in the end this insane obsession with the last 10 % I fear is going to put the auto out of reach for most people in the end. You can apply this same thought to safety as well. You simply cannot remove all risks from life and still live a life.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
When viewed at how many cars are sold and the amount of fuel vapor given off by each car, it makes a big number. It does add complexity to the car, but a car is a very complex system anyway. Besides, engineers love coming with solutions to obstacles put in place by lawmakers. I have seen a few of the vapor containment ideas for the air intakes, and they are impressive. I can't say anymore than that.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
When viewed at how many cars are sold and the amount of fuel vapor given off by each car, it makes a big number. It does add complexity to the car, but a car is a very complex system anyway. Besides, engineers love coming with solutions to obstacles put in place by lawmakers. I have seen a few of the vapor containment ideas for the air intakes, and they are impressive. I can't say anymore than that.
If those engineers can make the complex become simple, reliable, and inexpensive then I'm interested, if not...no dice. I think many other consumers feel the same....

There is a company "Philips"? that has a GREAT tag line....

"SIMPLICITY IS GENIUS" and it is so true. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts