Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that XPel has clear plastic adhesive protectors, and Ford has the fancy (and $pendy) illuminated ones. Does anyone know of a source for either decent-looking plastic or metal (stainless or aluminum) ones?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have the Ford non-illuminated Stainless sill plates, and use the XPel clear bulk film on the side skirts for extra protection against scuffs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a link to or part number(s) for the non-illuminated ones? TIA!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I acquired a set of the non-illuminated SS sill plates (after I negotiated a fair price from my dealer) and are very pleased on how they look. Very good quality with a nice Fiesta embossed logo on top.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link, BRGT350. Do I understand correctly that they're only available for the front? Not that it matters that much; We've probably had someone in the back of my wife's Prius less than 15 times in 8 years.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yep, only for the front. There is not much for a sill in the rear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's the way it was on the Passat I had. Even though the car is large and the door fairly large, the intrusion of the rear wheel well left room for only about a 6-7" sill plate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have the illuminated door sills ... nice but on the rather expensive side!!!!:p

·
Registered
305 Posts
How much were the illuminated sills? Were they difficult to install? Just curious where you get the power from.
I had the dealer Ford Quick Lane install them before I picked up the car. They stated that they were very expensive and charged me cost for them plus installation. I think it was about $350-400. It took them about a half-hour to install (but they do it on all Fords all the time). I believe Ford has a pre-wire harness for them to connect to (also comes with instructions).

I also had them install an after market back-up aid system (plus paint the sensors body color) and installed my self purchased Boomerang armrest.

Overall, I paid about $900 for all!

P.S. The following URL has them for $248 (regular $345) and just the stainless ones for $80 at http://www.lombardfordaccessories.com/categories/ford_car_accessories/fiesta/Interior.cfm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! They are expensive. I'm too cheap to pay for the dealer to install them though. I installed my Boomerang armrest myself so the sills can't be that hard. I just don;t want to drill in any of the body to get power for them which is why I'm curious how they're installed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
cruzmis:

I'll call my Quick Lane guy and find out about how it connects for sure (drill, or wire under carpet, etc) ... and let you know tomorrow!!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Awesome-thanks!

BTW can you post pictures of yours? The ones in the ads really don't do them justice.

Cruzmis:
The parts have double stickum tape on them and that is what holds them onto the car (no drilling). No way are they coming off.

The plates have a wire coming out of them & you click it into the pre-wire around the kick panel areas.

You fish the wire under the carpet to make the connection.

The weatherstripe hides the wire area so you don't see it at all.

They do provide instructions on how to install!!!!!

Here are some pics ... let me know if you want other angles, etc:
2011 Coop's Fiesta | Facebook

·
Registered
642 Posts
Are the illuminated sills really necessary?

I got to be honest: The illuminated sills do look really nice; but, when would you see them? Obviously, when the doors are open. When are they illuminated when the vehicle lights are on or when the doors open? Also, based on what Coop is saying (regarding the installation), the installation is pretty easy; most of the work is hiding the two wires. The dealers are charging way too much money to put these in. In my opinion, the sill plates are to protect the door jambs from scuffs; that's why I purchased the non-illuminated set.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got to be honest: The illuminated sills do look really nice; but, when would you see them? Obviously, when the doors are open. When are they illuminated when the vehicle lights are on or when the doors open? Also, based on what Coop is saying (regarding the installation), the installation is pretty easy; most of the work is hiding the two wires. The dealers are charging way too much money to put these in. In my opinion, the sill plates are to protect the door jambs from scuffs; that's why I purchased the non-illuminated set.
I got them cause it is a guy thing!!!!!!!! I agree that you don't see them much but they add a touch of class when the doors are opened.

I kept my anbient lighting the same color red to match the door sills!!!

Depends if you want to fork over the big bucks or not. This is my baby!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Illuminated Sills -- Has Anyone Installed

I have bought a pair of the illuminated stills. I have routed the wires, and attached the sills. Now the hard part. I have reviewed the instructions, and it shows cutting two wires, and installing a crimp splice.

Has anyone made the cut? I am afraid of the crimp splices, never had great long term luck, and I do not want to ruin the factory wire harness. Appreciate your comments.

Hank4647

Candy Red SES

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have bought a pair of the illuminated stills. I have routed the wires, and attached the sills. Now the hard part. I have reviewed the instructions, and it shows cutting two wires, and installing a crimp splice.

Has anyone made the cut? I am afraid of the crimp splices, never had great long term luck, and I do not want to ruin the factory wire harness. Appreciate your comments.
I have never tried these Posi-Lock no-crimp tap connectors, so maybe someone else can comment on them... Not sure if you have enough room to put them where you'll be attaching to the harness. But I like the idea that the original wire isn't cut.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts