Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in my '11 drivers seat, I shifted my weight to get comfortable and heard a snap come from the seat. The seat is noticeably less comfortable now, lacking lower back support. Anyone experience this? There's no way to adjust the lumbar support is there? Otherwise, I assume the warranty will cover a repair/new seat?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
"Should" be covered under the factory warranty.

It won't be a new seat though, the part that broke will be replaced, odds are a new seat back frame with your old pad and cover reinstalled.

-Steve

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had my seat tracks replaced because of squeaking. I noticed the new ones also mounted the seats much more solidly. Sounds like you experienced what would have happened if I hadn't addressed the problem right away. I bet new seat tracks will fix your issue.

BTW I would not drive the car until its fixed as the seat belt and air bag aren't going to help you much in a collision if the seat collapses. I'd take it to the dealer ASAP and request a rental/loaner until its fixed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
and my seat tracks are clunking under braking/acceleration. the fiesta is just like my svt contours. i fix one thing, and two more things(completely unrelated things) need attention

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE to Broken Seat

I finally brought in the car for the broken seat (poor lumbar support). They evaluated the seat in a few minutes and agreed something wasn't right. The tech hit the seatback with his hand and we could hear metal clanging. They ordered a new frame (spine?), and I came back to have it replaced it a week later. I just picked it up and all seems to be fixed. They gave me a loaner car and I didn't pay a thing.

fyi, I went to the Ford folks in Huntington, NY and they seemed competent and reasonable.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Good show! Sounds like the dealer is one to give repeat business to ... for sure.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I finally brought in the car for the broken seat (poor lumbar support). They evaluated the seat in a few minutes and agreed something wasn't right. The tech hit the seatback with his hand and we could hear metal clanging. They ordered a new frame (spine?), and I came back to have it replaced it a week later. I just picked it up and all seems to be fixed. They gave me a loaner car and I didn't pay a thing.

fyi, I went to the Ford folks in Huntington, NY and they seemed competent and reasonable.
Awesome news, hummv33! I'm glad that your dealership took great care of you. :)

I have really bad lumbar support in my '11 SES...
Hmmm
Swinging by the dealership so that they can take a look is a good first step, WuNgUn. I'm also happy to step in and see how I can assist; send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and we'll get started.

Crystal

·
Registered
153 Posts
and my seat tracks are clunking under braking/acceleration. the fiesta is just like my svt contours. i fix one thing, and two more things(completely unrelated things) need attention
it's called taking care of your car. The only people that don't have any issues with any car are those that don't care/pay any attention to their car and they don't notice when anything is different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello all,

New to forum, have lurked in the past. My lumbar caved in at 36k (just out of warranty, of course). Took it to Ford last night, guy tried to tell me it's a $466 fix (later research matched up that price with the actual seat frame instead of the $42 lumbar piece). He said he'd check for a service bulletin and either he or the service manager is going to get back to me about if they can do it for no charge. Guess we'll see if he was tired and confused and thought the actual seat frame broke, or if he was trying to screw me out of a more expensive part.

Either way, he said the part had been re-designed and was on back order (which tells me Ford knows they have a problem).

Anywho, good to see others have dealt with this. Seems like some pretty good leverage on safety re: airbag and a caved in seat with loose metal parts.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Warm welcome to the Faction Musicman, this as well happen to me exactly like first poster stated, dealer repaired and had to put new seat cover since metal poked thru..I am real careful now if I move around in seat. I got lucky it happenned under warranty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yikes! I feel like mine could go through the fabric as well. Seemed like it fractured toward the driver's position instead of away from it. Pretty amazing that they designed the part to have only four thin-gauge wires to support the weight of the driver/passenger. :confused:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hello all,

New to forum, have lurked in the past. My lumbar caved in at 36k (just out of warranty, of course). Took it to Ford last night, guy tried to tell me it's a $466 fix (later research matched up that price with the actual seat frame instead of the $42 lumbar piece). He said he'd check for a service bulletin and either he or the service manager is going to get back to me about if they can do it for no charge. Guess we'll see if he was tired and confused and thought the actual seat frame broke, or if he was trying to screw me out of a more expensive part.

Either way, he said the part had been re-designed and was on back order (which tells me Ford knows they have a problem).

Anywho, good to see others have dealt with this. Seems like some pretty good leverage on safety re: airbag and a caved in seat with loose metal parts.
Welcome to the forum!

I want to loop in your customer service manager on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
35 Posts
An update for anyone that goes through this issue after the warranty is up, here's where things stand: Ford's regional service manager says he can't help me out and the dealer says the parts and labor will be $417 (thanks again to Meagan for trying to put something in motion).

I pretty much threw everything I had at the situation and no budge so far. They say they've never heard of this issue with the Fiesta (despite the mounds of evidence here and elsewhere - the regional rep did not want to be provided with any evidence not produced by Ford) and that there is no safety concern between rear collision and seat support and/or lose, sharp metal resting on the driver's back. The dealer says this could be considered a wear and tear part (I had a good laugh about that).

Right now, I'm attempting to get them to knock down the labor, but I have to say, for a part with an apparent design flaw to break soon after warranty, and it involves two cay payments worth of $$$ to fix, that GTI just took an infinite leap over the Focus and Fiesta STs when it comes time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
An update for anyone that goes through this issue after the warranty is up, here's where things stand: Ford's regional service manager says he can't help me out and the dealer says the parts and labor will be $417 (thanks again to Meagan for trying to put something in motion).

I pretty much threw everything I had at the situation and no budge so far. They say they've never heard of this issue with the Fiesta (despite the mounds of evidence here and elsewhere - the regional rep did not want to be provided with any evidence not produced by Ford) and that there is no safety concern between rear collision and seat support and/or lose, sharp metal resting on the driver's back. The dealer says this could be considered a wear and tear part (I had a good laugh about that).

Right now, I'm attempting to get them to knock down the labor, but I have to say, for a part with an apparent design flaw to break soon after warranty, and it involves two cay payments worth of $$$ to fix, that GTI just took an infinite leap over the Focus and Fiesta STs when it comes time for an upgrade.
It's rough when stuff like this happens out of warranty. There are several pairs (and even more single sides) of seats on e-bay. Depending on your color, I've seen the dark cloth seats sell for around 225 shipped in excellent condition. Just throwing that out there as an option. Not sound like a dick or anything, but VW's parts and prices to repair them are some of the highest in the automotive industry (along with the VAG horrible failure rate on many components). Stuff breaks sometimes. Good luck with your venture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's rough when stuff like this happens out of warranty. There are several pairs (and even more single sides) of seats on e-bay. Depending on your color, I've seen the dark cloth seats sell for around 225 shipped in excellent condition. Just throwing that out there as an option. Not sound like a dick or anything, but VW's parts and prices to repair them are some of the highest in the automotive industry (along with the VAG horrible failure rate on many components). Stuff breaks sometimes. Good luck with your venture.
Ha, yeah, I was thinking about that. Too bad the seat height adjustments on the passenger seat are on the opposite side. Easy fix if you're driving yourself most of the time.

And true, German parts really know how to make the wallet sting!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I don't know how mechanical you are, but have you considered trying to fix this yourself? My guess is once the seat cover is lifted up, you'll have access to the offending part (from the back of the seat) and could easily wire it back into place. just something to think about. There is an air bag in the top left of the drivers seat so disconnect any wiring before hand just in case.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts