Fiesta Faction banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know how mechanical you are, but have you considered trying to fix this yourself? My guess is once the seat cover is lifted up, you'll have access to the offending part (from the back of the seat) and could easily wire it back into place. just something to think about. There is an air bag in the top left of the drivers seat so disconnect any wiring before hand just in case.
Also was thinking that. I know my way around, but the airbag kind of puts me on the fence in case it'd require a computer re-boot/I screw it up and need to drive to the dealer with things not attached properly haha

We'll see what they come up with labor wise by next week. Hopefully some bartering drops it a bit!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Once upon a time you'd just get pissed, rip the seat out, and install a nice sport seat. These damn airbags in the seat screw all of those options entirely up. Still not sure why that airbag couldn't be in the pillar!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Once upon a time you'd just get pissed, rip the seat out, and install a nice sport seat. These damn airbags in the seat screw all of those options entirely up. Still not sure why that airbag couldn't be in the pillar!
Because the bag would be in a fixed position, and would not be effective if the seat was in other positions. Removing the seat and unplugging the airbag will not require a module reset. You will simply need to disconnect the battery cable and wait 10 minutes before unplugging the connector. The bag also doesn't make removing/installing the upholstery any more difficult.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
An update for anyone that goes through this issue after the warranty is up, here's where things stand: Ford's regional service manager says he can't help me out and the dealer says the parts and labor will be $417 (thanks again to Meagan for trying to put something in motion).

I pretty much threw everything I had at the situation and no budge so far. They say they've never heard of this issue with the Fiesta (despite the mounds of evidence here and elsewhere - the regional rep did not want to be provided with any evidence not produced by Ford) and that there is no safety concern between rear collision and seat support and/or lose, sharp metal resting on the driver's back. The dealer says this could be considered a wear and tear part (I had a good laugh about that).

Right now, I'm attempting to get them to knock down the labor, but I have to say, for a part with an apparent design flaw to break soon after warranty, and it involves two cay payments worth of $$$ to fix, that GTI just took an infinite leap over the Focus and Fiesta STs when it comes time for an upgrade.
You're welcome. :)

I see your CSM has advised you to continue working with your dealer on this further.

Meagan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Final update for anyone who ends up going through this fix: haggled with dealer to get it to $300 for labor/parts.

The new piece does seem stiffer on the back (especially noticeable during acceleration and hill climbs), but it might just need some wear-in time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
UPDATE: as I said, thought the seat was stiff. After a few drives from San Diego to LA, decided I couldn't take what felt like a bolt tapping on the spine.

Took it to dealer that fixed the lumbar, they said the padding wore out.

Well, I'm at the upholstery shop right now and I'm glad I took it in myself. There's a metal crossbar above the lumbar that ripped through the padding. That's the spine tap I was feeling. It was supporting the weight of the body when the lumbar broke and it through.

Completely unacceptable to be dropping now $475 to fix a seat on a $14,000 car. I get it, they cheaped out to save money, but I'm never buying another Ford again.

As per regional service, they didn't cover anything after the first round of negotiations and were very corporate.

Also, as per the seat foam, the suspension underneath the seat was about to tear through the foam so there's carpeting now stopping that from happening.

41,000 miles, not 141,000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UPDATE: I started this thread ~two years ago when my seatback popped. Well, it happened again a few months ago. Same exact scenario, with the pop, the lost support, and the clanging metal inside the seatback. I had it repaired, which was only somewhat of a hassle. For the better or worse, I have extended warranty, so I only had to pay the deductible. Now I wait another two years until this happens a third time...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had this happen today. Between this and the angry midget that showed up in my dash a few weeks ago I'm getting pretty annoyed. Pretty ridiculous on a car with 45k miles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just had this happen today. Between this and the angry midget that showed up in my dash a few weeks ago I'm getting pretty annoyed. Pretty ridiculous on a car with 45k miles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Angry midget? Also my seat broke last week at 29k miles....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine went a couple of months ago.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/threads/52114-Lumbar-Support-Broken-Questions-for-Those-Who-Have-Repaired-Them

I'm just using a small rolled up blanket until the weather breaks and I can tear into it in the driveway. My understanding is that the replacement part is the same, with no improvements, so you're replacing a broken part with the same part that may break again. Last time I looked the part was around $25, though on Fleabay there are a couple that some people think they're made of gold. My thoughts presently are to fix the support as it is and not waste the money.

Another option is that I've putzed around online and found you can replace the seat with a used salvage seat for less money than having the dealership replace the support. Of course, you're rolling the dice with that just the same.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Another option is that I've putzed around online and found you can replace the seat with a used salvage seat for less money than having the dealership replace the support. Of course, you're rolling the dice with that just the same.
My plan is find some ST seats when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OP here. Well it happened for a third time a few months ago. Heard a pop from the seat and the lower back support is gone. This time, however, I am out of my extended warranty and was certainly not going to pay for Ford to put in that same inferior part. I took out the seat, peeled back the fabric from the back side of the seat-back, and fixed the broken part. I used picture-frame wire and zip ties and reattached the seat "spine" to the frame of the seat in several redundant places. Only one side of the spine broke, but I still tied up the non-broken side, because it's only a matter of time until that side goes out too. I was bracing for the worst with this repair, but it went smoothly. The whole thing took under three hours. The only tools you need, aside from a screwdriver, is a torx bit (size 50) and ratchet. The shop manual recommends disconnecting the car battery before disconnecting the airbag module connector under the seat.

The seat is now more comfortable than it's even been! I hope this fix lasts. See photos

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. This is definitely a weak point in the Fiesta seat, and I've noticed it in both of my Fiestas. I haven't had one break yet, but it's evident from the flexing that this part was poorly engineered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OP here. Well it happened for a third time a few months ago. Heard a pop from the seat and the lower back support is gone. This time, however, I am out of my extended warranty and was certainly not going to pay for Ford to put in that same inferior part. I took out the seat, peeled back the fabric from the back side of the seat-back, and fixed the broken part. I used picture-frame wire and zip ties and reattached the seat "spine" to the frame of the seat in several redundant places. Only one side of the spine broke, but I still tied up the non-broken side, because it's only a matter of time until that side goes out too. I was bracing for the worst with this repair, but it went smoothly. The whole thing took under three hours. The only tools you need, aside from a screwdriver, is a torx bit (size 50) and ratchet. The shop manual recommends disconnecting the car battery before disconnecting the airbag module connector under the seat.

The seat is now more comfortable than it's even been! I hope this fix lasts. See photos
These reinforcements are a great idea! I too recently joined the third time's the charm on this piece. It now costs $115-141 instead of $40. With the Fiesta no longer coming to America, I can imagine it only gets worse from here.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts