Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - I'm taking my Fiesta back to the dealer tomorrow morning to have the DRLs activated. Ford only ships Canadian cars with DRLs activated. If your US Fiesta is equipped with them and you want them to work as DLRs you will need to have the dealership activate them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI - I'm taking my Fiesta back to the dealer tomorrow morning to have the DRLs activated. Ford only ships Canadian cars with DRLs activated. If your US Fiesta is equipped with them and you want them to work as DLRs you will need to have the dealership activate them.
Okay, I'll bite. What are DRLs?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll bite. What are DRLs?
Daytime Running Lights. In the case of the Fiesta SES they are the LEDs in the chrome bezzels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Daytime Running Lights. In the case of the Fiesta SES they are the LEDs in the chrome bezzels.
What? So if I ordered the SE Hatch (with the black bezzel LEDs) they won't work unless I specifically ask the dealer to enable them? Seems a bit backward if that is the case.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not trying to be rude, but why would anyone actually WANT DRLs? I never imagined someone would actually desire them on their car. They don't really serve a purpose, aside from annoying other drivers. Plus, in the long run they waste gas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What? So if I ordered the SE Hatch (with the black bezzel LEDs) they won't work unless I specifically ask the dealer to enable them? Seems a bit backward if that is the case.
They work when the headlights are on, like all other Fords with the LEDs.

DRLs are on whenever the ignition is on (like all the winking GMT900s out there).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Daytime running lights are susposed to reduce accidents. GM Toyota has /had them for quite a while.

Is there a way to do it ourselves without going to the dealer. How about an off switch for traction control?

Dan
A week from today!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Here in Europe, almost all new cars have DRL LED's. (LED's don't waist gas, they're very efficient). Like Canada, Sweden requires all cars to have their DRL on. Here in the Netherlands most drivers have their lights on (most are halogen bulbs, so they do waist gas--I'm running Xenon) to be seen by oncoming traffic, (motor)cyclists and pedestrians.

Use varies per country (Unlike here in the Netherlands, in Belgium almost no one uses them)--it's not required but encouraged.

But now with these new cars all having those LED's, I guess the whole of Europe is moving towards having DLR on at all times.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I think the wasting gas comment was more for petroleum use versus halogen.

Canada has had DRL's since 1990. Overall, I haven't found them annoying. The only time is when people forget that not all DRL systems operate their lighting system at full output, so they drive around at dusk or night with them on. Overall, their pros outweighs the cons.

Since the SES has the LEDs, I'm wondering then how the S and SE are wired. Chances are, one of the headlight beams are at 80 or 90% intensity, and operate that way. The Canadian brochure only lists the LED as parking lights. I'm a bit hesitant to think Ford wired the DRLs differently just for one model. Most Ford vehicles here have the DRL's as their headlights. I haven't had the chance to take one out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There is no proof that DRL's reduce any accidents and they're more annoying than anything. You can go ahead and dazzle people with high beams on all the time which is pointless. It adds costs of having to replace the bulbs constantly because they're on all the time not to mention irritate motorists on the road who have to look at them up close at intersections. The whole reasons DRL's came into creation was because Greyhound Bus claimed that slowing down to 55mph in the 80's and running with regular low beam headlights on reduced their accidents and therefore GM jumped on the Band Wagon and Canada just thought well its a smart idea with no actual reasearch to back up the claim. Therefore if you are not required to have DRL's don't use them folks, it costs more to run them with no actual benefits.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is no proof that DRL's reduce any accidents and they're more annoying than anything. You can go ahead and dazzle people with high beams on all the time which is pointless.
DRLs are not high beams. They are low beams and are useful especially at dusk or on a cloudy day. It's amazing how many drivers forget to turn on their headlights at NIGHT! At least DRLs would give their vehicles some visibility and they reduce accidents. All vehicles should be required to have them on, but especially the gray/silver ones because they blend with the asphalt.

·
Registered
893 Posts
No DRL's are high beams or in many GM cases an additional headlight that is still bright. The best way to understand is put your car in a garage that is dark and turn on the car then turn the actual headlights on you'll see an immediate difference in the beams.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
LEDs are some of the most efficient light emitters we make. They'll probably outlast the car, so I don't think replacement should be worried about or efficiency. As for annoyance? I've seen cars with their headlamps on and these sort of LED lights on during the day, dusk, and night, and don't find them annoying. There are some bluish tinted headlamps people like to put in their "souped up rice rockets" out here that can make it difficult to see when approaching, but those aren't these.

I appreciate the tip about having this enabled; I'll be sure to ask about it!

·
Registered
893 Posts
That would be the Ricers putting HID's in Halogen Headlamps which is illegal and a huge rage. I have Blue Headlamps but they're halogen and legal.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
That would be the Ricers putting HID's in Halogen Headlamps which is illegal and a huge rage. I have Blue Headlamps but they're halogen and legal.
I've seen both styles and find both obnoxious. Hardly anything to rage over though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
And once again they leave out important information regarding the actual costs of DRL's. Wiring them up is cheap and in most cases its just a relay that is like a few bucks to be installed. What they have forgotten is how many times a year you have to replace your bulbs which unless you're buying cheapo five dollar no hollar bulbs it adds up really quick.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've seen both styles and find both obnoxious. Hardly anything to rage over though.
My blue headlamps don't blind you and are better than any other bulb I've used. I don't get glare off road signs and I can see a lot better at night especially with my dash lights turned down to low settings. Not to mention the soft blue is polite on other motorists eyes.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts