Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those looking for stance inspiration, I present a couple of shots of a dumped and tucked Fiesta.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh boy -- Belgian* car tuning..! And these are just mild examples!

(* red/white license plates = Belgium, black/yellow = Netherlands**)

(** the Dutch license plate registry is online accessible to the general public, so one can enter the number and find out the make, model, displacement, age, color, MOT, etc. Dunno about other European countries, unfortunately)

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I think this style on cars looks ridiculous. I'm also not a fan of "fart cars," which are those with the loud exhausts. Waste your money, lower your clearance, it is your car to ruin anyway are my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I don't know. Looks like the suspension is bottomed out. Pretty much ruins the cars ability to function as a car. How is that good? :confused:

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't know. Looks like the suspension is bottomed out. Pretty much ruins the cars ability to function as a car. How is that good? :confused:
I agree the car looks good but not very streetable. I went thru my slammed phase back in the 80's with a Toyota Pickup sitting 1.5 inches off the ground. It would corner very well as long as the road was smooth but if there was a bump in the center of the corner you had better hang on.
My scariest thing that happened while driving the truck was a 2X6 laying in the road lengthwise and I couldn't get in the other lane to avoid it. I was doing about 45 MPH and thoughts rushed through my head that I was fixing to do an endo. I just gritted my teeth, held my breath, pulled my seatbelt tight and I felt the truck raise a hair as it hit the board and skimmed over it. Then I took a breath and cleaned out my pants. And that is how I know that it was sitting an inch and a half off the ground.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree the car looks good but not very streetable. I went thru my slammed phase back in the 80's with a Toyota Pickup sitting 1.5 inches off the ground. It would corner very well as long as the road was smooth but if there was a bump in the center of the corner you had better hang on.
My scariest thing that happened while driving the truck was a 2X6 laying in the road lengthwise and I couldn't get in the other lane to avoid it. I was doing about 45 MPH and thoughts rushed through my head that I was fixing to do an endo. I just gritted my teeth, held my breath, pulled my seatbelt tight and I felt the truck raise a hair as it hit the board and skimmed over it. Then I took a breath and cleaned out my pants. And that is how I know that it was sitting an inch and a half off the ground.
That's a good story. I would probably drag on the edge of my driveway (gravel to concrete) with only 1-1/2" clearance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think this style on cars looks ridiculous. I'm also not a fan of "fart cars," which are those with the loud exhausts. Waste your money, lower your clearance, it is your car to ruin anyway are my thoughts.
Agreed. That's why I search high & low to find a car that looks the way I want it to pretty much "out of the box"... LOVE the Fiesta SEL, except for the butt-ugly wheels (what on EARTH were they thinking??). While I love a gorgeous piece of roadgoing machinery, I very much favor function over form...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Agreed... The wheels look disproportionate to the arches, much like those Chinese knockoff Mercedes and such sporting 13" wheels... Tuning in moderation is cool, but when you go the ricer route, the rest of the world just laughs...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nothing like going out of your way to find a parking lot that has no speed bumps or even a steep entrance angle. You might get stuck pulling in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is the ride height I am going with for now. I made the back a little higher so when I carry people in the back, it isn't drooped looking.

Went to get the alignment and no one has factory specs for it yet. They ended up using the Focus specs and it rides very well and feels good to me now. Although they said there is no adjustment for the rear and after lowering, the rear wheels are a little toed out (I think).

Notice how the rear wheels don't look like they are as flush with the body? Well, if they were straight up and down they would be.

Hopefully a shim kit or something comes out to allow us to adjust the rear wheels, because this can't be good for tires. At least on this car my tires aren't staggerd so I can rotate my tires from front to rear.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As someone who owns a factory-lowered car (Pontiac Solstice GXP with the 1 1/2" lower "Z0K" competition package) I can say that while it enhances the look of the car it sure hurts on practicality. I needed to cut 5/8" off the mud flaps to keep them from scraping on the street. Not to mention I have to make sure I go slowly and at an angle over speed bumps, something that irritates the heck out of the car behind me if I am in a residential neighborhood with speed-bumps. All in all I'd have been a lot happier if GM had just stiffened up the car while leaving the ride height at least an inch higher than it is now. I don't think the car would be any slower on the track and the day-to-day practicality would be greatly enhanced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While I can sort of see the appeal of lowering the car, I'm not 100% convinced. While there might be an aesthetic "pro" in having the overall body lower, I think there is an aesthetic "con" in not having the wheels centered in the arc of the fender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curios what the factory alignment specs are, my understanding is that toe out can cause sudden over-steer because while going around a turn the wheel with the most traction is steering out of the turn. This might be OK if lowering the care gives very little toe-out and it compensates for the under-steer on a front wheel drive car. I would be careful driving in the rain. I had a 1980 Fiesta setup to over steer and it made 140 HP, going around a turn it the back end would come around if you let off it would spin and if you floored it it would pull the car through the turn very fun but not safe on the street.

A pickup truck clipped my back corner putting me in a spin and I totaled the car (it was a hit and run)

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is barely toed out. I forgot where I put my spec sheet, but they told me it was so miniscule that it won't effect tire ware too bad (yes....the inner will ware first) let alone handeling.

I'm not sure if "centering in the arc..." refers to me, but the wheels are pretty much as centered in the arc as they were to begin with. I doubt many people would notice the rear wheels toe out and of the people that would, they'd have to be looking at it just right to see. I have been looking at pics of the H&R car for a while without really noticing that their wheels are toed out, but now that I look at them (just the two that shows the rear angle), I can see it. I'll take this very slight toed out look to a 4x4 looking Fiesta anyday.

With this drop, I am still driving my car like I was before. I do not take speed bumps at an angle, I go at em head on. Although I do slow down for them...like I always have, so I guess the speed bumps are working as intended except for the people that just don't care about their car. The only thing I am worried about scrapping is the front black air dam thing you can see just in front of the wheels on pic #3 of my last post. That thing already scraped once (stock wheels, stock suspension) on a VERY steep to a suddenly level on ramp that I think were done by people (probably the store owner) that have no idea on codes and regulations for building roads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure if "centering in the arc..." refers to me, but the wheels are pretty much as centered in the arc as they were to begin with.
No, not specifically, and on your pictures it's hardly noticeable. I was referring to lowered cars in general, and specifically to ones like that orange one earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow that is by far the most heavily modded Fiesta I've seen...and the most awesome.

It obviously can look uber slick if you do a few specific things. Makes me wonder how things will develop here as the cars find their footing in the aftermarket community.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts