Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what's up but the passenger side window on my Fiesta is real slow to go up the last couple of inches. It does close but it acts like the motor is weak or the track is very sticky. What makes me think it's the motor though is that sometimes it's fine, especially if it is being rolled up all the way. Roll it down 4" and then roll it up and it's quite slow. I haven't yet had the time to look at the window channel but if I don't see anything amiss it will be going into the service bay. Might try lubing the channel with some silicone spray first too, that always seems to help on my Miata.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some playing with the window today and I couldn't see anything blocking the channel. Also the more I played with it the worse it worked to the point that the last time it almost didn't close at all. I'm going to leave it in the up position for now and make an appointment with the local Ford dealer to get it looked at this week. I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Since this is the top-most part of the window perhaps it is a safety feature to keep fingers from getting crunched?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the weatherstripping was the problem but cleaning and lubing fixed it. Picking the car up in an hour and I'll see how it works.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like the weatherstripping was the problem but cleaning and lubing fixed it. Picking the car up in an hour and I'll see how it works.
Glad that's all it was. Your description of the window problem brought back horrific memories of my MK4 Volkswagen GTI. First the passenger side window went crashing into the door when I tried to raise it one day, followed several months later by the driver's side door doing the exact same thing. Turned out Volkswagen designed a bad window regulator that affected a lot of MK4 Jetta/Golf/GTI models.

I was hoping the Fiesta would not be a victim of the same kind of problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem has reoccurred, in fact yesterday I could almost not get the window up at all. Needed to get it about an inch away, back off about 4" and then run it back up again. Since my dealer is inconvenient and failed at the repair the first time I'm going to try the dealer 10 minutes from my house instead. After talking to my dealer it appears that Ford won't let them try replacing any parts until they've tried fixing it with lubrication. From fiddling with the window and looking at the window channel which is pinched at the very top it's pretty obvious to me that either the channel is defective or was installed improperly. I'm going to push dealer #2 to at the very least R&R the window channel and hopefully just replace it totally.

Am I the only one with this problem? Wish I had a nickel for every time a service department told me "you're the first person I've seen with this problem", I'd be rich :-/.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Could be a faulty motor in the door mechanism. It shouldn't matter which Ford dealership you go to for service of something like this, which should be a warranty repair I assume.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Am I the only one with this problem? Wish I had a nickel for every time a service department told me "you're the first person I've seen with this problem", I'd be rich :-/.

After any repair is done you would be wise to "test the heck ouf of it" to make sure they didn't just do a temporary fix. Which happens ALOT in this business!

After you receive your vehicle back from the dealer for repairs always do an extensive test of the problem addressed BEFORE you leave the dealership lot...

HA!!!!!!!! I would have been right back at the service dept after using the window about three dozen times in a few minutes in their lot!!!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll make sure to do so this time. After fiddling with it and seeing how intermittent the problem is I figure it has to be one of three things, either the motor/gearbox is bad, the window channel has a tear or crease in it or something has lodged in the the window channel. Actually I guess it could be a bad cable too, had that happen on a Miata where one of the clips that held the cable in place popped out leaving the cable free to move around and occasionally snag.

·
Registered
984 Posts
HA!!!!!!!! I would have been right back at the service dept after using the window about three dozen times in a few minutes in their lot!!!!!
If you did this the the motor would stop working because it would overheat and the circuit breaker would open until it cooled back down.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I hope everything works out for you with that window issue. It does sounds to me like something in or around the grove and or track the window follows is pinching as the glass is raised.

When you go back to the dealer ask the service manager if Ford has issued a TSB regarding the any window issues, if he says no, politely ask him if they could check now to see if one has been issued recently (I'm betting that one has) They don't always check such things daily and because the Fiesta is so new here it might have a number of them that have just been released.

Regarding your Miata is it a 2001 or later..but not the most recent one?

My sister just had her driver's side power window stop closing just a few inches from the top...any more details about your car might help me get hers fixed.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
If you did this the the motor would stop working because it would overheat and the circuit breaker would open until it cooled back down.

I was just using that scenario for emphasis. But I definitely would have put it through the paces over 20 minutes or so before I left the lot...Not to be a jerk but simply because it is a pain to return for a problem that was not fixed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
When you go back to the dealer ask the service manager if Ford has issued a TSB regarding the any window issues, if he says no, politely ask him if they could check now to see if one has been issued recently (I'm betting that one has) They don't always check such things daily and because the Fiesta is so new here it might have a number of them that have just been released.
Just checked no TSB's for the Fiesta windows at this time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope everything works out for you with that window issue. It does sounds to me like something in or around the grove and or track the window follows is pinching as the glass is raised.
I'm wondering if maybe someone stuck one of those flyers/calling cards in the window channel and I just sucked it into the groove. Can't imagine that it would stay in place this long if I did however.

Regarding your Miata is it a 2001 or later..but not the most recent one?

My sister just had her driver's side power window stop closing just a few inches from the top...any more details about your car might help me get hers fixed.
My Miata is a 1990 model with manual windows so my experiences may not be that much help. The garage section of Miata.net is the place to start followed by the forums. Generally most of the problems I've heard about with Miata windows are either broken cables or the cable coming loose from the door and catching on the window as it goes up which is the first thing I'd look at on your sister's car.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Thanks LMTech..appears nothing has shown up for TSBs...yet.

Alan....

I guess it could be possible that someone stuck something in the window groove/channel and or the trim gasket is defective.
If possible with the window rolled all the way down if you have a powerful shop light try shining it down into the channel then compare it to the passenger side window..notice anything different?

Just one more question..When you raise the passenger side window does it roll up to the same point any differently..how about the motor sound, and any other sounds or symptoms???

Honestly the dealers really are annoying. It is obvious that they didn't do anything to really check it out, they just cleaned and lubed the gasket..Nice that they inconvience you that way...The reason I say this is because after you just used the supposedly repaired window it bound up again within a very few uses!

Regarding the Miata..thanks for the advice, I definitely look over on miata.net for a possible answer...My sis was thinking about taking it to the dealer!!!! YIKES!!! to get it repaired !!!!!! I told her...the car is 8 years old..don't do it they will ROB you!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer replaced the entire window channel on the passenger side and the window works great now. Didn't get any details from them as to what exactly in the channel was holding things up but I'm happy it's all fixed.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The dealer replaced the entire window channel on the passenger side and the window works great now. Didn't get any details from them as to what exactly in the channel was holding things up but I'm happy it's all fixed.

Glad to hear that everything is working fine now.

If you have a copy of the repair order let me know what it says if you have a few spare minutes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Glad that's all it was. Your description of the window problem brought back horrific memories of my MK4 Volkswagen GTI. First the passenger side window went crashing into the door when I tried to raise it one day, followed several months later by the driver's side door doing the exact same thing. Turned out Volkswagen designed a bad window regulator that affected a lot of MK4 Jetta/Golf/GTI models.

I was hoping the Fiesta would not be a victim of the same kind of problem.
We had a couple of VWs & Audis in the '90s that had strange power window behavior. We'd go into the grocery store and come out & one of the windows would be mysteriously all the way down. Also had a similar sunroof problem on one of them if memory serves... Gotta love that Old World Charm! :p

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
We had a couple of VWs & Audis in the '90s that had strange power window behavior. We'd go into the grocery store and come out & one of the windows would be mysteriously all the way down. Also had a similar sunroof problem on one of them if memory serves... Gotta love that Old World Charm! :p

Those models had a feature (optional) where you could roll the windows down about an inch or so with the sunroof so that you could ventilate the car on hot days...I wonder if someone else had a similar car and their remote was able to control your BCM (body control module) ....makes sense...At least the those model years didn't have the dreaded crap power window regulators in the MK 4 VWs and some Audis.. It seems that almost ALL of the original ones failed within 5 years...instead of working MAFs , coil packs, and window regulators you got a slick interior instead..not a great trade off...but Ferdinand Piech thought is was worth the trade off. :mad::(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts