Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I was driving home, I decided to roll down some windows as it was kinda stuffy. I noticed the headlights dimmed whenever I used the power windows. Now I realize that the Fiesta is running quite a bit of electrical devices, headlamps, tail lamps, instrument panel, ambient lighting, and LED lighting (irrelevant since LEDs suck up little to nothing). Thinking of a way to improve electrical flow, maybe a grounding kit would help a bit, or even an oversized battery. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
So tonight I was driving home, I decided to roll down some windows as it was kinda stuffy. I noticed the headlights dimmed whenever I used the power windows. Now I realize that the Fiesta is running quite a bit of electrical devices, headlamps, tail lamps, instrument panel, ambient lighting, and LED lighting (irrelevant since LEDs suck up little to nothing). Thinking of a way to improve electrical flow, maybe a grounding kit would help a bit, or even an oversized battery. Ideas?
I don't think the lights dimming is a problem. My Mazda does the exact same thing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't think the lights dimming is a problem. My Mazda does the exact same thing.
My 2004 Ranger doesn't dim. I'm going to have to pay more attention to the the Fiesta tonight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most cars and trucks dim when you roll up or down windows. Try rolling up multiple windows. Most cars go slower when there are multiples moving. Its just a drain on the system. This is normal.

Every car I have owned has done this, and in my shop.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most cars and trucks dim when you roll up or down windows. Try rolling up multiple windows. Most cars go slower when there are multiples moving. Its just a drain on the system. This is normal.

Every car I have owned has done this, and in my shop.

Doesn't happen in my IS. Then again I'm comparing an overpriced Toyota to a subcompact. I'll deal with it I guess.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I started to watch my Scangage voltmeter today while driving.
Normal driving = 14.1 V.
Driving with the a/c and hi-fan = 13.7 V.
Lowering a window = drops about .1 V.
Holding down a window power button when the window is already up = 13.1 V.

So, raising or lowering the window shouldn't be having a noticeable effect until you reach the end of the window's travel, and the motor then stalls out. If you're seeing an effect otherwise, do some testing with a voltmeter to verify your impressions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts