Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wondering about this black box thats under my car. I'm thinking it's the fuel shutoff switch but unsure, the owners manual doesn't say anything about the fuel shutoff switch location.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
that's a vapor canister.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What he said - it's a carbon canister that absorbs fuel vapors so they don't escape to the Ozone. Vapors are fed back to fuel system - the canister never needs to be changed.

Fuel shutoff is a mechanical switch if you hit a huge bump - think Dukes of Hazzard type hit, shuts off fuel based on G forces. There is a reset somewhere in the rear of the car - will be marked.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There is no emergency fuel shut off switch in the Fiesta it uses the RCM ( Restraint Control Module ). If the air bags go off it the sends a signal to the FPCM ( Fuel Pump Control Module ) and the PCM ( Powertrain Control Module ) and it shuts the fuel pump off.
After the accident and the fuel pump has been shut off because of a crash all that is needed to reactivate the pump is to turn the key off and then back on. This may need to be done a couple of times in order to get the pump to build up enough pressure in the fuel lines to make it start again.
If this does happen I would suggest not doing the reset procedure until it is known that there isn't any hazards to restarting the vehicle such as fuel,oil or coolant leaks that could cause other damage or injuries.

Also yes the picture is that of the charcoal vapor canister which is part of the emission control system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, since I'm coming from a 25 year old car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts