Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I drove my Fiesta to and from school without a problem. When I got back into it 4 hours later to go to work, an Engine Malfunction Service Now message appeared right at start up. Had no choice but to drive it like this. Arrived at work Turned car off and on, and the message no longer appeared. I ran a vehicle health report when I was home, and everything checked out ok. Has anyone had an experience like this; or have any insight on what might have made this alert appear? Could this just be a mistake, or is something really wrong. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I just recently discovered FF, and haven't posted my car so for now here's a bad cell phone shot.

http://s8.postimage.org/kq1e678s5/IMAG0692.jpg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
How was it running when all those warnings were on? Did it run fine after they went off. Hopefully it stored a code in the computer and the service department can pull it.

Going though the same thing with mine. Ford found nothing in the computer, drove the car for a while and it came back on. Drove to the dealer without turning it off and were able to figure what was wrong (I hope). Gets a new throttle position sensor on Monday. There are hundreds if not more things that can cause the warning message.

If it comes on again, do not turn the engine off, drive to the service department so they can hook up the scan tool.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, in my case it was a faulty sensor that required the Accelerator Pedal Assembly to be replaced. No big deal, but had to jump through a few hoops to get the part. See thread here:

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-service-bay/38221-backordered-part-no-eta.html

BTW, even if you do turn your car off and on to reset the error (which is what is recommended in the owners manual), the on-board computer will still maintain a log of the error code.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
[BTW, even if you do turn your car off and on to reset the error (which is what is recommended in the owners manual), the on-board computer will still maintain a log of the error code.[/QUOTE]

No it did not. The dealer tried, found nothing, sent me on my way. Came back a few hours later when the yellow wrench came on, did not turn off the engine. They were able to read it then.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yesterday I drove my Fiesta to and from school without a problem. When I got back into it 4 hours later to go to work, an Engine Malfunction Service Now message appeared right at start up. Had no choice but to drive it like this. Arrived at work Turned car off and on, and the message no longer appeared. I ran a vehicle health report when I was home, and everything checked out ok...
Hi aborbs87,

Make an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. It's always better to be safe than sorry in these kinds of situations. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any additional concerns or questions.

How was it running when all those warnings were on? Did it run fine after they went off. Hopefully it stored a code in the computer and the service department can pull it...
...even if you do turn your car off and on to reset the error (which is what is recommended in the owners manual), the on-board computer will still maintain a log of the error code.
Thanks for the good info, Corvair and RobDV! :)

Have a great weekend,
Crystal

·
Registered
22 Posts
[BTW, even if you do turn your car off and on to reset the error (which is what is recommended in the owners manual), the on-board computer will still maintain a log of the error code.

No it did not. The dealer tried, found nothing, sent me on my way. Came back a few hours later when the yellow wrench came on, did not turn off the engine. They were able to read it then.
The Ford dealer I used gave me a print out of the log showing error codes that had been recorded for the previous 2 weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great info, car has been running fine with no alerts. But after seeing all of this, I am definately taking it to the dealership this week to get it looked at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too, am having this problem. I notice it happens on really cold or rainy days. If I run my lights, stereo and heater at the same time. When it happens, the car runs sluggish, especially in 2nd gear (Stick shift car.) Seems to idling rough, and quite possible rich cause my mileage sucks when it happens. If I turn the car off and on. it won't clear, unless I pull the key out and stick it in. It seems to be in a limp mode. I've seen older Fords do this.

My car is a completely stock 2013 Fiesta SE. Nothing done to it. and only has 4300 miles on it. I did an oil change at 4003. I thought possibly it could be crappy gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
19k miles had this same issue. took it in to the dealership this morning. the rf frequency did not detect at a small interval so it put up the warning. they are ordering a new unit to replace just in case. worst case scenario the car will go into a safe mode where you will not be abnle to drive faster than roughly 40 to 45 mph. according to dealership. other issue it could be is carbon build up on the throttle unit. luckily mine wasn't that issue. different code for it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I too, am having this problem. I notice it happens on really cold or rainy days. If I run my lights, stereo and heater at the same time. When it happens, the car runs sluggish, especially in 2nd gear (Stick shift car.) Seems to idling rough, and quite possible rich cause my mileage sucks when it happens. If I turn the car off and on. it won't clear, unless I pull the key out and stick it in. It seems to be in a limp mode. I've seen older Fords do this.

My car is a completely stock 2013 Fiesta SE. Nothing done to it. and only has 4300 miles on it. I did an oil change at 4003. I thought possibly it could be crappy gas.
Hi Pakana,

Have you had a chance to swing by your dealership so they can check out your Fiesta? Additionally, I want to get your regional customer service manager involved by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll get the ball rolling.

19k miles had this same issue. took it in to the dealership this morning. the rf frequency did not detect at a small interval so it put up the warning. they are ordering a new unit to replace just in case. worst case scenario the car will go into a safe mode where you will not be abnle to drive faster than roughly 40 to 45 mph. according to dealership. other issue it could be is carbon build up on the throttle unit. luckily mine wasn't that issue. different code for it.
Hey Knight,

Keep me posted on how things go at the dealership. I want to extend the same case escalation offer to you that I did for Pakana - send me your info (VIN, dealer, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Pakana,

Have you had a chance to swing by your dealership so they can check out your Fiesta? Additionally, I want to get your regional customer service manager involved by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll get the ball rolling.
I actually am an Employee of big dealer, I work across the street from my Ford Dealer. I took the car there on Monday, They found nothing. I got it to do the same thing Tuesday and brought there to show them the problem, They found a faulty Accelerator Pedal, They replaced it and I thought all was good. Wednesday morning, I turn my car on and instantly it does it. So I take it back, they can't find the problem and are having a hard time getting an answer from some service hotline. They tell me to take it home and see what happens. I told them I felt unsafe driving it til the problem is fixed. And got a rental.

What really annoys me, is I do run a history of the part number for the accelerator pedal. And see others with my same problem. Which means this is a known problem. Why isn't there any TSBs or Recalls for this issue? My car is the third year of this model. These should have been figured out by the second year.

I don't blame this problem on my Dealer. This is Ford selling a problematic product. And basically setting these dealers up with problems with no resolution. Unfortunately most of our customers aren't as understanding as me, and take it out on the dealer. The service department has been doing everything they can to meet my needs.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...I turn my car on and instantly it does it. So I take it back, they can't find the problem...
It’s important to me that this is resolved, Pakana. So I can set up a call from the customer service manager for your area, please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, dealer details, and VIN.

Cory

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe everything is good now. My dealer checked all the connectors, put dielectric grease on them. And just made sure everything was secured. This seems to have fixed the issue. I have since then put 200 miles on the car without issue. If any of you are still having this problem, maybe ask your dealer to try this.

It's really dumb that these cars do this and I wish Ford would put up some sort of service bulletin to help these dealers out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a follow up on my car. Everything is still Good. My dealer more than satisfied my needs. With little help from Ford. My dealer has redeemed my love for Fords. And plan to continue to Always have Fords in my life.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
There are so many codes that wiil trip the light,many have no effect on the running of the car.

When I first got my 2011 Fiesta i had sime minor problem with the fuel filler.

The first time I had the dealer check it out to confirm where the vacuum leak acctualy was .
They didn't turn the light out but since I have a code reader I turned it off.
The light did not come back on for a long time
Then I had two instances, read the code, same thing. Turned the light off .
That all was in the first 6 months or so.
I haven't had a light since.

Code readers are inexpensive and not hard to use.

t

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine has put up the "service now" with the wrench symbol twice now in the last week or so. I seems to reset the next time I start it up so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is this a "known issue" now?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
have your dealer check to see if there are any codes stored.
Or you can go to most chain parts store to have them checked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine has put up the "service now" with the wrench symbol twice now in the last week or so. I seems to reset the next time I start it up so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is this a "known issue" now?
When I took my car into the dealership for this, they told me that everything checked out fine. After taking it in, the wrench has came on once or twice. I re-started as you stated and it cleared. If the wrench comes up while driving, or you drive with it on you will lose a lot of power too just an FYI if you encounter this.
But as stated I would definitely have it checked out at a dealership, odds are it'll be fine so don't sweat it!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts