Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how difficult are these cars to engine swap? I really love the fuel economy, but always wished I had just a bit more power.

Well, potentially we can have both soon. The 2020 Ford Escape is bringing the 1.5L 3 cylinder to the US as its standard engine. Thats the same engine used in the 2018+ world model Fiesta ST, which gets fairly similar MPGs to our 1.0L in that vehicle.

So, how hard would a swap like that be? Is it even possible with how tightly integrated all the computers are? Would be awesome if in 1-2 years we could find a wrecked escape and breathe some new life into our little Fiestas, without giving up the 40MPG I bought the car for.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The limiting factor in this going to be ECU tune-ability. Swapping engines does nothing (but turn your car into a paperweight) if you can't make it work with the cars ECU and other systems.

The engines themselves aren't very hard to remove if you know what you are doing. But going to an engine not originally designed for your engine bay means you may need to fabricate things like new engine mounts or relocate items in the engine bay. It will not be a direct fit.

The other side of that is you'll need to account for all the wiring that comes with the new engine as that will most likely be different as well.

In short - how much time and money do you have to spend?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not too worried about the mechanical fitment since the engine comes in the world model Fiesta. I'm sure the mounts are different, but probably similar.

The ECU integration is my main concern. I know all the computers in these cars communicate with each other. Was more wondering if people had any experience at all doing engine swaps in these cars and what all was involved from that side of things.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im not too worried about the mechanical fitment since the engine comes in the world model Fiesta. I'm sure the mounts are different, but probably similar.

The ECU integration is my main concern. I know all the computers in these cars communicate with each other. Was more wondering if people had any experience at all doing engine swaps in these cars and what all was involved from that side of things.
Doing an engine swap from a yet or barely released Ford escape into the current Fiesta might, maybe, possibly mostly physically bolt up. But definitely not a plug and play deal. All the controls and processor and harnesses are specific.
You really need to just let go of the 1960's mentality of it being easy to just swap out the ol' straight six for a nice small block v8. That boat sailed a long time ago.
It's so complicated to do that a single thread here regarding doing just one conversion would be hundreds of pages!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does anyone know if the Fiesta 1.5L ST will be available in Mexico? If so, then just go buy one and register it in Mexico, drive it in the US. At least in Arizona, 40% of all plates you count at the mall are from Sonora. An additional benefit is you'll never get a speed camera ticket because they're usually excluded from the systems, and no emissions. Win-win-win.

I'm being mildly sarcastic. I'm sad too we don't get the cyl deactivation 1.5 big brother Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Does anyone know if the Fiesta 1.5L ST will be available in Mexico? If so, then just go buy one and register it in Mexico, drive it in the US. At least in Arizona, 40% of all plates you count at the mall are from Sonora. An additional benefit is you'll never get a speed camera ticket because they're usually excluded from the systems, and no emissions. Win-win-win.

I'm being mildly sarcastic. I'm sad too we don't get the cyl deactivation 1.5 big brother Fiesta.
A few members on the Focus forums looked into this years ago with the European mk2 RS that Mexico also got. You have to own property in Mexico (i.e. have proof of residency) to be able to register a vehicle there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
Check with Pumaspeed in regards to a 1.5 swap. I bet they have either already attempted or have it planned to do so

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anybody know if the 1.5 is an enlarged version (possibly bored and stroked) version of the 1.0 or is it a clean sheet design?

With the older Focus, running the Duratec motors, it was easy to swap between the 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 because they were basically the same. It'd be nice if it was similar with the 1.5 and 1.0.

We'd need to swap in a better transmission though. The ib5 can't handle too much more power before it becomes easy to break.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does anybody know if the 1.5 is an enlarged version (possibly bored and stroked) version of the 1.0 or is it a clean sheet design?
It'd be nice if it was similar with the 1.5 and 1.0.

We'd need to swap in a better transmission though. The ib5 can't handle too much more power before it becomes easy to break.
It’s a new design.

Pumaspeed have an IB6 (same as ST) gearbox swap for the 1.0 based on the Focus 1.0 box. It’s expensive though as it has specially made driveshafts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts