Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew up my 1.0 a few months back. Lately I’ve had some time to work on it. The donor engine came with the timing cover cracked and intake cover cracked. So far I’ve just finished swapping the timing cover. My main question is will I need forscan for the new engine to run or will it just do it’s thing without any type of computer work? Thanks for looking! Here’s some photos of the progress.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
I don’t see why it would require any programming. On a side note, is it a same year motor or did you get a newer one from an Ecosport?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I don’t see why it would require any programming. On a side note, is it a same year motor or did you get a newer one from an Ecosport?
Thanks for the reply. I got it running last night anyway and had a CEL. This morning chased it down to a MAP sensor, just cleaned the contacts and cleared the codes, now she’s good to go! To answer your question, Donor car is a 17’ fiesta so all good there. I’ve worked on many vehicles in the past but this 1.0 is a different animal. This car is by far the most exacting piece of machinery that I have ever worked on. I’m happy to say it was a great success!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey all. Drove the car a bit and now it keeps throwing codes p1023 and p1026. My engine temp is staying steady between 160-195 degrees. I don’t know what could fix this, anyone have ideas?

So far I’ve:
-verified thermostat works
-changed coolant temp sensor (1 or 2?)

My next step is changing the cylinder head temperature sensor

couple more pics:

SOLVED:
It was hard to find an accurate description of the code but one site said it could possibly be the VCT solenoids. I just swapped in the ones that came with the block (duh) and the codes went away. So p1023 and p1026 are VCT solenoid codes. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome, Thanks for posting about this. What was it that happened to your first engine, what was it that failed? And how many miles were on it? I just put a head and a ton of other parts on my 1.0, was a lot more work than I expected. Would like to learn from others failures in an attempt to prevent the same failures on my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, Thanks for posting about this. What was it that happened to your first engine, what was it that failed? And how many miles were on it? I just put a head and a ton of other parts on my 1.0, was a lot more work than I expected. Would like to learn from others failures in an attempt to prevent the same failures on my car.
I bought the car new in 15’ and it broke with 65000 miles. Most of those miles were spent spanking the redline. It was always maintained but never babied. It’s been on the sides of mountains and through lake beds.

The day of the failure I was beating on it as usual and all of a sudden I get an overheat warning. Plugged the scan tool in to discover there was an event recorded of over 2000 degrees, I forget which sensor recorded the temp. Pulled the dipstick and had antifreeze in the oil. So I warped the engine so badly that all the antifreeze poured into the oil sump which further overheated it.

I tried to repair the old engine with a new head gasket but ultimately it didn’t work out. I suspect something inside cracked and I intend to find out what that is. When I had the head off I checked it and It was not warped so it’s something internal that got effed.

lesson learned:keep it maintained better, flush the coolant every 3-5 years and beat on the car within reason.

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Good work here Where all stock when the engine came to its death? Was the overflow tank and connections still good?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good work here Where all stock when the engine came to its death? Was the overflow tank and connections still good?
Everything was stock when it died, connections were all good. The engine just had far too much beat, learned my lesson and now I drive like an old man

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
I’m tuned and drive mine aggressively about 50% of the time. So far so good (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m tuned and drive mine aggressively about 50% of the time. So far so good (knocks on wood)
im sure you’ll be fine. I used to rally this car in the Rocky Mountain trails passing 4x4’s when it was still a baby. It’s also been stuck in the mud and rocks on the shores of Lake Erie. Now that I’m getting older those days are behind me. I stay on the pavement now, where the car is meant to be, well mostly.

What tuner do you have? How many miles tuned?

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
im sure you’ll be fine. I used to rally this car in the Rocky Mountain trails passing 4x4’s when it was still a baby. It’s also been stuck in the mud and rocks on the shores of Lake Erie. Now that I’m getting older those days are behind me. I stay on the pavement now, where the car is meant to be, well mostly.

What tuner do you have? How many miles tuned?
Sounds like you made good memories if at a cost lol. I’m Tuned by OETuning. It’s not perfect as it is their email tune. Have had it for 3 years and over 30k miles. I promised myself I will get it on the dyno to tune out the surging. I will never go back to stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts