Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a big deal.....

Unfortunately, (and I feel sorry for Sam, because he really is a straight up guyt)
but the PR snowball that he started rolling down the hill, is now about the size of the moon, and getting bigger.

When you create that much momentum about a product, with an awesome PR campaign that is well received, orders come in (by the thousands) and then you can't deliver the product, for whatever reason you are in a heap of trouble.

1. The reservations system....Total Failure (where is Matt Wolfe btw?)
2. Late vehicles (I was lucky from date of order to delivery was slightly less than 8 weeks) which I would say is average for any vehicle order, but I was the exception to the rule. Where the system failed for me was the delivery process and promises not kept on the rebate, the thumb drive and the website.
3. Hurricane (questionable excuse) as most of the cars are coming thru Nogales.....
4. IIHS fiasco...
5. Seat handles? I call BS on this one.

Ford better get a handle on this. A very awesome car is going to fail not due to the car, It's AWESOME! But if you can't get it into the hands of the people you WOWED with your "It's a big deal" campaign and your "Fiestamovement" the only movement that is going to happen is a big movement in the toilet......a nationwide bowel movement.

Come on guys....get your head out of your butt and get this car delivered!

·
Registered
584 Posts
So you'd rather Ford not hold the car to fix the seat handles, and just pass the problem on to the dealer or (knowing dealers) the customer? The reason the car was delayed was to ensure that every Fiesta is built flawlessly. If you'd rather Ford try to speed up the delivery process at the expense of quality, well, I'm sorry, but most people would say that's a less than ideal solution.

Also, you got your Fiesta before just about anyone else, why do you even care? I think you just want to complain.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to see it fail...

So you'd rather Ford not hold the car to fix the seat handles, and just pass the problem on to the dealer or (knowing dealers) the customer? The reason the car was delayed was to ensure that every Fiesta is built flawlessly. If you'd rather Ford try to speed up the delivery process at the expense of quality, well, I'm sorry, but most people would say that's a less than ideal solution.

Also, you got your Fiesta before just about anyone else, why do you even care? I think you just want to complain.
I don't want to be the owner of a vehicle that is by far the best thing that's happend in this car segment, and see it fail not because of the car, but because of the in-ability to get the damn thing to market.

And I may have got my car just about before anyone else, but I have a car that doesn't have a side impact safety rating. So I think I have some room to complain.

Do you have a Fiesta?

·
Registered
375 Posts

I agree completely. I would much rather take delivery of a new Fiesta knowing that Ford has fixed a known quality issue upfront instead of passing on that responsibility to the dealer.

My dealer sent me an e-mail detailing Ford's response to the quality issue today, saying that the vehicle visibility report is not accurate for the Fiesta because of the hold for inspection. He did not have to do that and could have just kept me in the dark.

Yes, there have been issues with getting Fiestas delivered. I also believe that some people have set themselves up with such lofty expectations that no matter what happens the Fiesta experience will always be an "epic fail".

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reservation Hotline...

I agree completely. I would much rather take delivery of a new Fiesta knowing that Ford has fixed a known quality issue upfront instead of passing on that responsibility to the dealer.

My dealer sent me an e-mail detailing Ford's response to the quality issue today, saying that the vehicle visibility report is not accurate for the Fiesta because of the hold for inspection. He did not have to do that and could have just kept me in the dark.

Yes, there have been issues with getting Fiestas delivered. I also believe that some people have set themselves up with such lofty expectations that no matter what happens the Fiesta experience will always be an "epic fail".
Take the Reservation hotline, things have gotten so far out of whack, that Meg, Mahi and Matt can not even really give you any information anymore, they have to refer you to the dealer.....before the first of June they would tell you just about anything you wanted to know. I don't think that some days Dearborn knows exactly where in the process a single vin# is. I think it is that backed up, that they actually can't tell you the exact location of a car, only a an "approximate" location because there are so many cars in the pipe. I would compare it to a clogged pipeline.....the cars are backing up like sewage in the line, so much that they are loosing track of where all the cars are.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Do you have a Fiesta?
Not yet, no, and how exactly is that pertinent to this discussion?

I'll agree that the reservation system was not a success going by the negative experiences of so many Faction members, but hurricanes and quality issues are perfectly valid reasons to delay a car. Further, the IIHS upgrade was totally voluntary on Ford's part, probably meant to secure that final top rating so they'd have bragging rights (the Fiesta took the top score in every category, woo) and is hardly a reflection of the safety, or lack thereof, of the pre-July build cars.

At any rate, you got your car before the IIHS even tested the car, when the Fiesta didn't have safety ratings in any category at all, so why is it suddenly such a big deal? If it wasn't an issue when you bought the car in the first place why do you care so much now?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
5. Seat handles? I call BS on this one.
I think you're right on that. Here's why; Most of the people that have cars already, have cars that were built after mine (May 26th). In a couple of reports on the "Hold for inspection/seat lever issue" the articles report the issue was on cars built over the past month.

So I ask - why are they holding my car (built in May) and more importantly, why have they not recalled your car and every other car already delivered (built between May through August) to make sure those cars aren't equipped with "dangerous seat levers"?

The dealer told me Ford, instead of hauling my car from Cottage Grove to my dealer, intentionally hauled my car directly to Inver Grove Heights to be impounded/locked up until inspection.

I call B.S. on that.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Why should the customer "feel sorry" for Sam????

He and his orgnanization are totally responsible for the PR debacle and the ensuing problems that came with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same organization was reposnsible for suggesting all the unnecessary changes to the vehicle as well!

I think they should FIRE Sam and company and the consulting companies that suggested the vast changes to the US car that were not required by DOT/EPA.

The EU seat back adjustment knob is good enough for BMW, Audi, VW Mercedes as well it sure as heck is good enough for Ford in the USA...Most import buyers prefer them. And the EU part has NOT been recalled...

If it was good enough it sould have been left alone!!!!!

When will the US makers ever understand that!!!!

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I addressed that yesterday

Not yet, no, and how exactly is that pertinent to this discussion?

I'll agree that the reservation system was not a success going by the negative experiences of so many Faction members, but hurricanes and quality issues are perfectly valid reasons to delay a car. Further, the IIHS upgrade was totally voluntary on Ford's part, probably meant to secure that final top rating so they'd have bragging rights (the Fiesta took the top score in every category, woo) and is hardly a reflection of the safety, or lack thereof, of the pre-July build cars.

At any rate, you got your car before the IIHS even tested the car, when the Fiesta didn't have safety ratings in any category at all, so why is it suddenly such a big deal? If it wasn't an issue when you bought the car in the first place why do you care so much now?
In extreme detail, I addressed that...look up the thread...

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe not 100%

I just think maybe the way it was written up "you early adopters are out of luck" was just really pissy and in your face...not cool.

Sam told me that it took them totally off guard....they should have seen it coming.

Russ @ IIHS told me that Ford alerted them to the change. Sounds to me if Ford would have kept their mouth shut, it might have saved them a lot of face.

Sam told me specifically that "Ford maintains a very close relationship with the government and all rating agencies and keeps nothing from them for 100% transparency" I applaud that, but in this case, since the car is "so safe" maybe waiting to make the changes until after the testing was complete would have been a good Idea...Now there are 15,537 Fiesta's out there without the change. That is probably 99% of available stock due to the distribution problems. (That number is from Cars.com article about the IIHS pick). I just keep waiting every day find out what is going to happen next.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Take the Reservation hotline, things have gotten so far out of whack, that Meg, Mahi and Matt can not even really give you any information anymore, they have to refer you to the dealer.....before the first of June they would tell you just about anything you wanted to know. I don't think that some days Dearborn knows exactly where in the process a single vin# is. I think it is that backed up, that they actually can't tell you the exact location of a car, only a an "approximate" location because there are so many cars in the pipe. I would compare it to a clogged pipeline.....the cars are backing up like sewage in the line, so much that they are loosing track of where all the cars are.
Oh no, they know EXACTLY where your vehicle is at all times. They use a tracking system that can tell exactly where it is. It's policy for the Fiesta team to be vague as to it's location.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh no, they know EXACTLY where your vehicle is at all times. They use a tracking system that can tell exactly where it is. It's policy for the Fiesta team to be vague as to it's location.
If you know where the car is at all times, why be vague when being specific is what the customer actually wants?

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should write a book!

Seriously...you should write a book!

How NOT to launch a car.

You could do it as an e book, therefore there would be no overhead...I am sure everyone here would buy a copy of it!

You could spill the beans on the whole Fiesta debacle! The shame, of the whole deal, is that a really cool car is on the road to failure due to the incompetence and poor decisions of folks in Dearborn, and tell me Matt, if I am wrong....is Sam just a Puppet with someone's hand up his arse moving his mouth?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
If you think the Fiesta launch isn't going well, then you have not launched many products in your life. I have worked on many launches for products, none as complex as a car, and I can tell you that launching anything is ungodly hard. I think the Fiesta launch is going quite well in fact. Before flat out calling the Fiesta launch an epic fail, I think you need to understand what is all involved in the designing, manufacturing, and launching of a product. I am involved in a new product launch for something I designed and it is behind schedule. The product has less than 10 components and has been in development for almost 2 years now. Another product I am working on has been in the design stage for a solid 4 years. A car has thousands and thousands of components coming from all across the globe. Without a product or engineering background, I find it unfair to call the Fiesta launch a failure.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dishonesty....is why it is a Epic Fail...

If you think the Fiesta launch isn't going well, then you have not launched many products in your life. I have worked on many launches for products, none as complex as a car, and I can tell you that launching anything is ungodly hard. I think the Fiesta launch is going quite well in fact. Before flat out calling the Fiesta launch an epic fail, I think you need to understand what is all involved in the designing, manufacturing, and launching of a product. I am involved in a new product launch for something I designed and it is behind schedule. The product has less than 10 components and has been in development for almost 2 years now. Another product I am working on has been in the design stage for a solid 4 years. A car has thousands and thousands of components coming from all across the globe. Without a product or engineering background, I find it unfair to call the Fiesta launch a failure.
They fired Matt because he tried to be forthcoming and honest....They won't tell the truth about the door handles, (and the hinges that they failed to mention)

The Failure....is Ford's ability to disseminate the truth.....what EXACTLY are they looking for? What is wrong with the door handle, better yet, what relatonship does the door handle have to the hinge that "slides" according to Russ @ IIHS?

That is the Epic Fail....the Epic Failure to COMMUNICATE. We all know that this of all cars with all of it's features is ungodly complex. That is a given....what is un-nerving is the fact that they can't....won't tell us what is causing the delays. A single, simple press release could outline everything and stop all of the speculation and negativity. One 81/2 by 11 piece of paper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They fired Matt because he tried to be forthcoming and honest....They won't tell the truth about the door handles, (and the hinges that they failed to mention)

The Failure....is Ford's ability to disseminate the truth.....what EXACTLY are they looking for? What is wrong with the door handle, better yet, what relatonship does the door handle have to the hinge that "slides" according to Russ @ IIHS?

That is the Epic Fail....the Epic Failure to COMMUNICATE. We all know that this of all cars with all of it's features is ungodly complex. That is a given....what is un-nerving is the fact that they can't....won't tell us what is causing the delays. A single, simple press release could outline everything and stop all of the speculation and negativity. One 81/2 by 11 piece of paper.
if they came out and said what was causing the delays, would you assume they weren't being 100% honest and decide that there is an epic fail because they are not coming out and saying what is causing the delays?

oh wait, some of that has already happened...

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
nothing is as simple as it seems. I am just saying that if you have never worked in the industry, never designed a product, never put anything in production, never worked with the marketing department, never dealt with the bean counters, never designed a production cell, and never worked in public communications you don't have enough background to instantly simplify everything down and call a launch an epic fail. I feel the launch went good and find the increased level of quality checks a great indication of quality commitment and putting the customer first. I don't feel it is right for everything to be criticized by people who have never worked in the automotive industry. I am getting tired of all the soap boxing and bellyaching that plagues just about every post on here. Too many angry people with pitchforks just looking for a target.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am getting tired of all the soap boxing and bellyaching that plagues just about every post on here. Too many angry people with pitchforks just looking for a target.
we all are... and the "too many angry people" is an unfortunate statement as it really seems like it's only somewhere around 0.1% of the forum population

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is honesty difficult?

nothing is as simple as it seems. I am just saying that if you have never worked in the industry, never designed a product, never put anything in production, never worked with the marketing department, never dealt with the bean counters, never designed a production cell, and never worked in public communications you don't have enough background to instantly simplify everything down and call a launch an epic fail. I feel the launch went good and find the increased level of quality checks a great indication of quality commitment and putting the customer first. I don't feel it is right for everything to be criticized by people who have never worked in the automotive industry. I am getting tired of all the soap boxing and bellyaching that plagues just about every post on here. Too many angry people with pitchforks just looking for a target.
All they have to do is issue a press release and list what the problems are.

They created this monster with their Fiesta Movement. Those of us who are driving about in these cars are owed an explanation, and assurance that our cars are safe.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.