Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I bought my Fiesta a couple years ago and after you all helped me fix a steering column clunk, I've LOVED it! However, my wife and I are taking on some lifestyle changes that necessitates downgrading our vehicles. I've been trying to sell my Fiesta for about a month now, but nobody seems to be interested. I've posted it on Craigslist, Car Gurus, Cars.com, and Auto Trader, but nothing. I've even have it parked near a local gas station that gets a ton of daily traffic. I think I have it priced well below market. It's in excellent condition. I've taken a ton of good photos (I think). What am I missing? You can see my listing on Car Gurus here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's now been nearly two months since I first posted this car up for sale. I've dropped the price over $1,200. I've went on further to list it on other car selling sites (CarSoup, and BisMan Online). I relist the Craiglist ad in a new market each week to increase exposure. Do you think it's my asking price? I'd think that $9550 for a 2011 SES with 69,900 miles on it would be right in the ball park. I've even explicitly posted that I'm negotiable.

What kind of experiences have you all had with selling your Fiestas? (or don't you ever sell them. :eek:)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The reputation of Powershift transmission has killed the resale value of the Fiesta.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
It's possible that due to being at the end of the year for 14 model year cars, dealer incentives on new cars in your area are hurting your chances. Plus your asking price might be a bit high, if you do a search on Craig's list for Fiestas of similar vintage, or even used cars at dealerships, you can get an idea of what the resale prices are doing.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I just looked up the value on KBB - You're $1000 too high still. You should be asking about $8500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You all may well be right on all counts. I am confused about the KBB value, however. I've read that KBB is supposed to be on the high side compared to Edmunds, but Edmunds has my car listed as $9800 for a private party sale. I suppose it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll just have to keep dropping the price $100 per week until it finally sells.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
They are all dreaming, I wouldn't consider this car for more than about $8500 if I were looking for a used car. Used car prices are what drove me to buy my Spark, when everyone insists on selling a used 2008 manual shift Aveo with 70,000 miles for $10,000 and I can get a new Spark for $12,000 or $13,000, the choice is pretty easy. Turned out the 08 Aveo would have been a better choice and lost me less money, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Also, you should consider waiting a week before relisting, then raise the price. You might just find that it works and the car is sold.

What is the dealer trade in (assuming buying a replacement). What about a Carmax cash price?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Greg,
I hear you on the inflated state of used car prices. (Although it's hard to admit when I'm the one selling!) Hey, I'm not sure I followed you when you said: "you should consider waiting a week before relisting, then raise the price. You might just find that it works and the car is sold." What did you mean there? I might just find out that what works?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I traded my Fiesta a few days short of three months ago. Still hasn't sold. Price started at $9998, it's down to $8498. It's at a large dealer in a large metropolitan area. It's an '11 with 84,000 miles, manual transmission. Anyone who does research on Fiestas find out they have more than their fair share problems. What's a new '15 go for now? I was offered $6500, $7000 and $7500 trade in depending on dealer. The dealer with the highest trade value had the lowest price on the car I got. My snow tires had better resale value!

Cars aren't an investment, but an expense.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's down to $8498. It's at a large dealer in a large metropolitan area. It's an '11 with 84,000 miles, manual transmission.
I've come to see full well how much cars are an expense. That's why I'm doing what I can to get out of the game! lol! We're moving back to my hometown in the hopes of owning only one vehicle and driving it as seldom as possible.

I've been watching similar Fiesta's on Carguru's. Of the 12 or so I've been watching for the last two months ZERO have sold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use to sell used cars. Usually this time of year was a little slow. From my perspective I can see two reasons, gas prices are falling like crazy, even here in NY where it has always been high has come down close to $3 a gal. So most people can afford driving their V6/V8. Second, winter is coming and people are getting into AWD/4WD vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use to sell used cars. Usually this time of year was a little slow. From my perspective I can see two reasons, gas prices are falling like crazy, even here in NY where it has always been high has come down close to $3 a gal. So most people can afford driving their V6/V8. Second, winter is coming and people are getting into AWD/4WD vehicles.
Hi Mario,
Thanks for that insight. I'm sure you're right that the gas prices are killing the desire for economy. Heck, it was gas prices that I used to justify the cost of buying this car in the first place! I have a feeling I may be waiting well into spring, maybe around income tax returns... Ugh.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Might just be worth keeping the Fiesta as your one car your seldom drive unless you have a need for something completely different with you having such a hard time selling it. Especially since you're not going to get the money you want out of it by selling it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might just be worth keeping the Fiesta as your one car your seldom drive unless you have a need for something completely different with you having such a hard time selling it. Especially since you're not going to get the money you want out of it by selling it.
I would definitely do that except for the fact that the car we will be keeping and driving is a 2012 Focus that I hit a deer with. The branded title makes it our "drive it until the wheels fall off" car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I am currently trying to sell my 2014 fiesta with the manual trans. I have it listed at 12k and have gotten a total of (carry the one.... round to the nearest decimal.... multiply by two...) ZERO messages about it. It only has 5k miles on it and I said best offer. But it just seems that nobody wants to buy a used one of these with the problems they have unless they are practically stealing it from you...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still in the game on this end too. I dropped the price down to $8950. Got a phone call from a gal last night. She was going to swing by this afternoon. Just got a call from her letting me know she bought a Focus instead. Sigh...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it just seems that nobody wants to buy a used one of these with the problems they have unless they are practically stealing it from you...
P.S. what are all the problems they've been having? Just the transmission issue? A guy would think that the extended warranty Ford sent out would cover that, no?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I have a manual so no problems with the trans on this end. But they are what they are, the cheapest new car you can buy. They are not designed to the highest standard. They are designed with cost effectiveness. You will get rattles, shudders, and who knows what else. But just with the reputation they have received from the trans problems really hurts the value. I have been part of many forums and its kind of sad that the most used part of this forum by far is the service portion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a 14 S 5 speed, under 5k miles never drive it. I had thought about selling it but I would really be shocked if it got any interest

Prolly just let it sit in the garage

1 - 20 of 32 Posts