Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question:

If Ford were to offer an EcoBoost sporty variant of the Fiesta how much would you be willing to pay?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Price of the car in total featuring hopefully some schwingin' goodies such as suspension, wheels and tires, one off interior, six speed manual transmission, and few others but I would pay around 24K without haggling.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm guessing it'll be priced higher than the SES/SEL lineup which starts at 17k I think? Add another 2k to that so about 19k, add some options and you'll be looking at about 21-22k. For that much I'll happily opt for a WRX.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It would depend on if it was purely for economy or for a true performance model and the size of the engine. I would say for a fully loaded performance model with 150 to 180 hp I would pay an additional $2000 tops. If it is an economy model with a smaller motor and the same horsepower as the 1.6 that we have now then I wouldn't pay any extra.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think that, if they offer a more powerful Ecoboost in the states, it will be a pure performance model. It will have the bigger engine as well as revised suspension, unique wheels, bigger brakes (and probably discs in the rear) and etc.

For that I would pay 20K, tops. But I would be really surprised if it cost 20K. I think a performance Fiesta would be at least 23K. In which case I think I'd rather buy a GTI or a V6 Mustang, to be honest.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
If Ford is smart they will offer the Ecoboost in more than just a top trim line.... I think they are in this respect...the buyer thesedays is very value oriented...especially the buyer that is looking at the Fiesta and other compact cars ....Ford could still make a decent profit with say a top of the line ST version and perhaps the same engine in the SE model...

Value is king today in the marketplace....most consumers in this part of the market simply can't afford to pay a very high premium.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'd be willing to pay $995 for EcoBoost in a Fiesta :)

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I'd be willing to pay $995 for EcoBoost in a Fiesta :)

The question I have is how much does the engine alone cost (including any additional plumbing needed) wholesale?

Then I am willing to pay about 10-15% over that cost to Ford so they can make a REASONABLE profit. Actually 1k seems about right to me give or take 200 bucks.

I would wish that Ford would offer the Ecoboost in an S model Fiesta 5dr HB ...This would make me take the plunge for sure!.

In Europe you can choose from a selection of engines for many trim lines in the Fiesta...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I somehow got the idea (from reading various Ford PR releases) that Ecoboost would eventually be the only "option". Their goal isn't to give enthusiasts more power, it's to increase the fuel economy of the whole line.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You see, there's not much more you can do efficiency wise on the 1.6, if you do run with a turbo, you'll have to run with lower compression and a richer A/F mixture. So your option would be to lower the displacement, if it's going to be an ecoboost model, it'll have to almost be a performance model. If it's pushing 180hp, you'll need fully independent suspension and the live axel suspension will show its flaws at that point (Mustang owners will argue otherwise).

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You see, there's not much more you can do efficiency wise on the 1.6, if you do run with a turbo, you'll have to run with lower compression and a richer A/F mixture. So your option would be to lower the displacement, if it's going to be an ecoboost model, it'll have to almost be a performance model. If it's pushing 180hp, you'll need fully independent suspension and the live axel suspension will show its flaws at that point (Mustang owners will argue otherwise).
what are you talking about? the Fiesta doesn't have a live axle suspension. the front suspension is independent macpherson struts. the rear suspension is a twist beam. it's sometimes called a dead axle since it does not transmit power.

there was a 1.6L ecoboost making 180hp at the auto show. I'd like that engine in my Fiesta :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
It would depend on whether it retained good fuel efficiency numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current 1.6L is not direct injected, right? That being the case, an EcoBoost version of it would be, and therefore might not even take a hit in highway mileage (which is what is most important to me for my daily driver). Given that, if it still can manage at least 35 mpg, and is offered with the dual-clutch transmission (preferably with paddle shifters and a good program for enthusiast driving), I would be willing to pay $25,000 for a well equipped Fiesta ST or such making at least 180 hp (plus more from Ford Racing, installed by dealer at time of purchase).

·
Registered
947 Posts
The displacement of an Ecoboost engine would be about 25% less, which is where the increased economy would come from.

·
Registered
522 Posts
what are you talking about? the Fiesta doesn't have a live axle suspension. the front suspension is independent macpherson struts. the rear suspension is a twist beam. it's sometimes called a dead axle since it does not transmit power.

there was a 1.6L ecoboost making 180hp at the auto show. I'd like that engine in my Fiesta :)

Idiot moment I guess, still, the beam rear suspension is gonna show its age when you start going faster around corners.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Idiot moment I guess, still, the beam rear suspension is gonna show its age when you start going faster around corners.
on three wheels :)
the Fiesta handling is awesome and I'm looking forward to our next Solo event. they asked to use my Fiesta for the "safety run"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts