Fiesta Faction banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Alright, since I deleted my resonator and swapped to a cherry bomb extreme, I am hearing what sounds like a buzzing at WOT. and usually once it warms up more the buzzing isn't as noticeable, any ideas?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
my suggestion is to go with a properly engineered exhaust system with the muffler and resonator size. I have been down the road of trying to develop my own exhaust system using universal mufflers and resonators. It took a number of attempts before I got rid of all the pieced together systems and bought one that worked. For the Fiesta, I decided against anything other than a well designed exhaust system and it worked great. Trying to pick the right resonator and muffler based on the sound wave frequency when you don't have any good way of collecting data is very hard. The best you can do is try to match a system that has already been developed. With the Borla/FRPP system, I bought it and had it on the car in 20 minutes. No more trying to guess what length and diameter resonator will work with the frequency wave or what muffler goes with it.

Here is a little history of what I tried over the course of 5 years on my Focus ZX3 before I got it right;
stock header, flex pipe, with custom flex-pipe back section and Apexi N1 muffler
4-2-1 header, stock flex pipe, with Apexi N1
4-2-1 header, stock flex pipe, Apexi N1 with Apexi in-tip silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Apexi N1 with silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Dynomax resonator, Apexi N1 with silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Magnaflow catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, longer Magnaflow resonator, Magnaflow catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, Vibrant catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, long Magnalow resonator from earlier attempt, Vibrant catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, SVT Focus cat-back with custom flex pipe attachment (finally fixed the drone and volume problem, but sold the car a few months later)

All of that money, time, and effort thinking I could fix the terrible drone and high volumes when what the car really needed was something engineered by people with all the right equipment and tools.

·
Registered
755 Posts
my suggestion is to go with a properly engineered exhaust system with the muffler and resonator size. I have been down the road of trying to develop my own exhaust system using universal mufflers and resonators. It took a number of attempts before I got rid of all the pieced together systems and bought one that worked. For the Fiesta, I decided against anything other than a well designed exhaust system and it worked great. Trying to pick the right resonator and muffler based on the sound wave frequency when you don't have any good way of collecting data is very hard. The best you can do is try to match a system that has already been developed. With the Borla/FRPP system, I bought it and had it on the car in 20 minutes. No more trying to guess what length and diameter resonator will work with the frequency wave or what muffler goes with it.

Here is a little history of what I tried over the course of 5 years on my Focus ZX3 before I got it right;
stock header, flex pipe, with custom flex-pipe back section and Apexi N1 muffler
4-2-1 header, stock flex pipe, with Apexi N1
4-2-1 header, stock flex pipe, Apexi N1 with Apexi in-tip silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Apexi N1 with silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Dynomax resonator, Apexi N1 with silencer
4-2-1 header, 2.25" flex pipe, Magnaflow catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, longer Magnaflow resonator, Magnaflow catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, Vibrant catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, long Magnalow resonator from earlier attempt, Vibrant catback
4-2-1 header, 2.25 flex pipe, SVT Focus cat-back with custom flex pipe attachment (finally fixed the drone and volume problem, but sold the car a few months later)

All of that money, time, and effort thinking I could fix the terrible drone and high volumes when what the car really needed was something engineered by people with all the right equipment and tools.
I know how to solve most problems like drone but I have never heard of a buzz unless its a rattle, but it is all welded and I didn't have this problem until I took out the resonator and installed the cherry bomb extreme, considering putting a resonator back on... I don't want to sound dampen it but that rattle buzz sound sounds just ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
is the rattle sound coming from the exhaust hitting the heat sheild? How much clearence is around the exhaust and the sheild? Without a sound clip, it is very hard if not impossible to diagnose.

Since this is a collection of sound clips, it would be ok to start a new thread to diagnose the buzz issue.

·
Registered
755 Posts
is the rattle sound coming from the exhaust hitting the heat sheild? How much clearence is around the exhaust and the sheild? Without a sound clip, it is very hard if not impossible to diagnose.

Since this is a collection of sound clips, it would be ok to start a new thread to diagnose the buzz issue.
I will start a new one and there isn't much clearance and I do have a video

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
2014 Ford Fiesta ST sound clip

This was filmed using the same route as my 2011 Fiesta with the FRPP/Borla exhaust so you can compare.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone have a clip of their car just stock exhaust with resonator deleted? Or even the cat taken out? I'm getting bored of the car just being stock and wanna do something cheap to make it sound louder.

·
Registered
141 Posts

this is my car with a custom exhaust

Miltek EVO 4-1 header
2.25'' - 2'' reduction
Resonator
DCsport muffler
Então, acho que é do Brasil?

Essas rodas são 17? Tem suspensão H&R? Pode tirar algumas fotografias? E possível apresentar..

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
My initial setup on my 2014 1.0T was to remove both the center and rear mufflers, which got me this (sounded awful, however this same strategy on the ST's sounds great).

1.0T no mufflers: http://youtu.be/xj4FAOpoVbM

1.6T no mufflers: http://youtu.be/VuunLpWo5TA

My 1.0 was painful to drive as it was so I reinstalled the center muffler and got this, which is nearly perfect and very cheap:

1.0T rear muffler delete: http://youtu.be/00zk3obO8aw

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

With Glasspack as resonator and Flowmaster 44 Muffler.

Interior video to follow.
Hey that sounds pretty good, more mellow than I thought it would be, guess my mind was stuck on the word Flowmaster, smooth sound, I would like an interior video at about 45 to 70 (oh that's right, Jersey, scratch the 70 lol) Do we have to have the resonator?? Wonder what just the Flowmaster would sound like. Oh, your score:

·
Registered
88 Posts
2015 S 1.6L hatchback, I've got an R2C cold air intake up front and replaced my stock single tip muffler with an OEM FiST dual tip muffler...my goodness what a difference from stock considering it's still OEM :-O

YouTube link to a rear bumper-mounted view of tips, 9 minute cruise with lots of 3/4 throttles and mid range downshifts throughout:
http://youtu.be/xaM00K_ef_g

Acceleration, windows down:
https://youtu.be/N8ACBdPrUjE

More driving, bumper/muffler angle, edited out boring parts on this one:
http://youtu.be/PmO9FWbrpmM

More angles (cabin noise, etc) as I get them recorded/uploaded!

Edit: added in car, windows down.
Edit again: another clip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 134 Posts