Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here and I've got a bit of a tricky one for you.

A family member owns a P reg MK4 fiesta, it's got 74k on the clock and before this I couldn't fault it and i regurally checked it over for them and did services ect..

I got a call the other day asking if I could come look at the car as it had lost all power and would not go into gear. Turns out the rear main oil seal (One between the crankshaft and gearbox) has completely deteriorated. It was like a tap letting all the oil out, straight out between the gear box and engine. Drained the engine in about 20 mins.
Had it recovered and came back to it the next day for a better inspection, filled it up with oil started it up and confirmed it's definately coming out of there.

Now it was left for the night and when i got back to it started it up no problem however could not get into any gear, thinking to myself makes sense as there will be oil on the clutch basically making it a fully lubricated surface and pretty much making a friction clutch useless. If you play around a bit you can get the clutch to engage just enough to put it in gear, when this was done today and it was taken out of gear it kept driving. Scary for me as i was stood in front of it haha.

As the gear stick was in the center location and the car was obviously still in gear, is this still normal for a knackered main oil seal? Theres more concerns about the gearbox and other issues now too. I am far from a mechanic and completely self taught, I will not be doing the rear main oil seal myself however I would like to give the family member a rough estimate on the cost for repair before I get to it.

TLDR: Rear main oil seal gone on fiesta, Is it normal for this to completely disable the clutch and let the car keep driving out of gear?

I look forward to hearing from you guys and appreciate any help I can get from some GURUS

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
With the gear shifter being a simple mechanical linkage to the trannys shift lever arm, I would inspect the connection at the lever arm on the topside of the tranny. Have a helper move the shifter through the gears and observe the movement of the lever

1 - 2 of 2 Posts