Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I was uber lucky with work giving me the chance to test drive a Fiesta. This is my unbiased review of the car having a chance to taste the American Version. I had to take a truck in to get speed sensor and ABS module replaced leaving me quite a bit of time at the dealership. So after checking out the Lime Squeeze Hatch in the show room which was automatic but had black cloth seats and all the other goodies of the SES hatch one of the salesmen ran into me and remembered from my last visit when the White SEL Sedan was out there. Shook my hand had a smile on his face, told him ''Its good to see them in finally and was thinking of taking one for a test drive since I still want to buy one in a year.'' His response was ''Got time for one now?" With a child like grin on my face I said ''Let's go.'' He wanted to take out the Silver SE Hatch but it wasn't there so we took the Magenta SES Hatch. Fully loaded with leather, push button start, automatic and heated seats it was quite nice.

Walking out he was concerned it was locked but it wasn't and then inside we got ready and then tried to start it. Putting my Foot on the Brake and pushing the start button it fired up. He opened the glove box and found one of the My Keys there so we could drive off. Putting it in gear and then accelerating it was quick off the line and quiet. I took it out on the Interstate and gave it a good ten mile test drive. The suspension was well in tune, the car just glided over the interstate without my head bobbing like a doll on the dashboard. The steering wheel was very hand friendly as I have said before and really using I can not change my mind. The controls are perfect I really didn't need to look just glance once to understand the cruise control setup and go from there. The engine is very strong and the six speed despite my hatred of Automatics was very responsive. The car got up to speed in a respectable amount of time, I was in no rush and did not try to flog it at all. You couldn't feel the transmission shift gears the only way I could tell was by watching the tachometer. The brakes for a disc drum set up were quite powerful and I had to actually let off a bit because I was braking too hard actually. I noticed the hill traction button on the gear selector which is another good feature.

The ride itself was very quiet, I couldn't hear the cars that were passing me or if I were passing them. I could barely hear the screaming of a Big Rig Tire as I passed one. The steering was crisp and well responsive, i just barely and I mean barely had to move the wheel and the car would follow. The seats were completely comfortable, I could sit in them for upwards of eight hours and not get tired. Another thing I complimented was I was sitting in a seat and not a couch like whats on my Focus. No huge honking bolsters at the bottom of the seat to push against the door panel. The seat was just the proper size and set up. The Air Conditioning though not set on full was quite cold and that was very impressive itself. I could do nothing more than just compliment this car the whole entire time I was driving it, everything about it was just top quality. The dash panel being soft, no center arm rest to get in the way of anything and to top it off the mirrors on the sides when positioned right were so perfect I honestly didn't need the middle interior mirror which was practically worthless. If you've owned a hatch before, including station wagon or SUV then you'd understand. This is a winner and we both agreed, this car will sell quite well.

Overall my summary is as follows, Ford has hit beyond a home run and grand slam. This little number is perfect and it should have been here five years ago plain and simple. The ride is smooth and comfortable, quiet and you don't need a loud radio to drown out road noise. The engine is what I expected and a little more so I'm giving it brownie points for accelerating better than what I had anticipated. I wanted to test drive a manual to see how the throws were but there isn't any at the dealership yet. No biggie I take what I can get and I still enjoyed the car. I honestly can't find any cons to the cars road performance, its great for what it is. This is a Premium B Grade car for a slightly lower than premium price. Well done Ford, keep it up.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So are you still going to wait a year ?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am, I have other expenses that come first before a car.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So with your eyes closed, you'd say you were driving a Lincoln?
(hmmm, driving with your eyes closed wouldn't be a good idea actually)
Marc I remember the picture of your driving example and at I have to say that with all the problems that we pointed out with the picture at least you did have your eyes open.
But yes the car is very quiet ( roadnoise wise ) and comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Marc I remember the picture of your driving example and at I have to say that with all the problems that we pointed out with the picture at least you did have your eyes open.
But yes the car is very quiet ( roadnoise wise ) and comfortable to drive.
HAHAHA! That. Hehehe :)

I'll have to write-up a synopsis of my own test drive this past Tuesday. :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Thanks for that review mrbirdman. I was actually very interested to read your thoughts on the Fiesta. If you feel like it, I would be equally interested to know how you would compare it to your previous generation Focus. you mentioned the seats but are there any other comparisons worth noting?

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Nice succinct review mrbird!

I am still waiting for our little po dunk dealer to get one here...then I will post a comparo between the EU spec Fiesta and our US Spec Fiesta.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice review mrbirdman!

I test drove a Fiesta SE hatchback with Powershift today and it is a fantastic car! Ford did an outstanding job with this. Hands down the finest B-segment car in the world. Top notch quality and fit and finish. I also test drove a Honda Fit automatic and there's really no comparison in my estimation. The Fit has a harsh ride and looking at it from a distance it looks way too much like a mini minivan. The shape is just odd from certain angles, especially the profile and the windscreen is massive (much like that of a minivan).

The SE trim level seems to be the best value.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ok after spending all day today driving and showing my car to friends and family I have to say that this car has exceded all my and their expectation in quality of materials,fit and finish,size,drive quality,lack of squeaks and rattles, road grip in corners and just being an all around great car at a great price. I can't say that any of them went to dealership to see the car but I can say that if they are going to think about buying a new car that after seeing and riding in mine they will give it a thought at buying one.
I can't believe how well this car handles on the interstate when going 80 MPH and passing or getting passed by semi trucks or suv's. When I was getting passed by the first semi I braced for the big push of air to move me over in the lane and it never happened. I though , OK I must have compensated out of instinct without realizing it . So I got into the same position again to get passed and relaxed my grip on the wheel to the point that my hands were almost off the wheel completely but ready to catch it if I needed too. The semi went by me and guess what the car never moved.
Even when I was sitting in a turn lane a light and other cars and trucks went by me at speed the car would rock only a very slight amount.
I also tried the SYNC Services direction feature and it works great also and got me to a destination that I had never been to before. The SYNC Services direction feature must first be activated on SYNCMYRIDE.com before using which I did last night in anticipation of trying it out today. I gave it an address to one of my friends parents house while driving using voice commands and it was not distracting and was very easy to do. The main reason I wanted to try this was to make sure that while using SYNC to play music from any of the sources that the directions feature would still work. The directions feature does work and all it does is mute the source only to warn you of the upcoming turn and then it returns back to the previous source that was being used. It also gives you a visual arrow on the center screen and verbal warning of the direction of the turn and name of the road.
The seats are very comfortable and supportive and I didn't feel tired or antsy at anytime sitting in them.
I didn't get any pictures again today because I was having to much fun driving the car. I hope to get some tomorrow because I only have to go to one place and I should be able to actually get some and post them in the evening.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that review mrbirdman. I was actually very interested to read your thoughts on the Fiesta. If you feel like it, I would be equally interested to know how you would compare it to your previous generation Focus. you mentioned the seats but are there any other comparisons worth noting?
I would put it on par with my generation Focus with the added bonus of the seats. It has what I look for in the terms of visibility in front and sides, a wheel I can grip all day and not get tired. The controls are within reach IE Fiesta they're on the wheel, my Focus on the steering column. I don't have to put my hands on the radio at all for anything unless its changing a CD. HVAC is definitely better though, I have no clue as to why I have to fiddle with the thermostat to get my AC to punch out ice cold air but I think it has to do with the cables. Not as peppy as my ST but its more than enough way more than enough. Each car has their ups and downs basically but they even out to a degree that they're on par with one another on all levels. Honestly my only real con in test driving which I had to have a couple days to think it over was that I think it could handle way better with control blade rather than twist beam suspension. Other than that I highly recommend this car to anybody wanting something with a little fun. I didn't use or test the sync because I was more or less interested in the tech specs of driving rather than the nine yards of creature comforts but I would most likely use the sync for my Zune when I'm out of radio range of my four stations I listen to and for texts since that's how the wife and I talk. The Fiesta makes this current gen Focus look like crap. No to mention the even more added double bonus of a hatch option!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts