Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK....I don't get it. One of the new commercials for the Fiesta being shown in the U.S. has all sorts of visual effects (guys dropping out of the sky with Ford and Fiesta printed on their parachutes, unicyclists pedaling by with letters on umbrellas spelling "hands free sync", people jumping out of manhole covers), all while the car is sitting there...motionless.

What makes it even worse is that you have to actually WATCH the commercial to get ANY information about the car whatsoever. There is no voice-over announcer repeating the benefits of the Fiesta, just some poorly chosen (imho) music. I don't know about most of you, but I let my attention wander during commercials....go back to working on the computer, grab something to eat from the kitchen, play with my cat. The commercial lacks any detailed look of the Fiesta in motion, and unless you are actually watching it you would never know that the Fiesta has hands-free sync or gets up to 40 MPG.

I would think that Ford's U.S. advertising arm would come up with a better scenario to promote the Fiesta. I would love to see a commercial take advantage of the Fiesta's handling abilities, like watching it carve up some mountain twisties with an announcer saying something like "The Fiesta does all this AND gets up to 40 MPG too." Make the actual car the focal point of the commercial, not rely on a bunch of extras carrying arrows pointing to a parked Fiesta.

Link to Fiesta commercial being shown in U.S.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtmfeyTNV4

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
AGREED!!!!!!!!!

This ad campaign is just weird and stupid...there is nothing clever about it at all.

If a product is great you should mention those traits .....

Clearly some marketing clowns are trying to be too clever for their own good...but then again you see ALOT of this in todays marketing most of which is dimwitted , offensive, and obnoxious as well..

Ford needs to stop listening to their marketing agencies without some caution....common sense seems to escape corporate when it comes to saying NO to a marketing campaign they really don't like.

VW has the same problem in the USA.....the stupid, idiotic, and weird campaigns have been what has stopped the company from becoming a major player in the USA...

·
Banned
528 Posts
"It's a big deal...errrrr FLOP!" On the TV at least

For a car of this caliber to be upstaged by a bunch of "pimp thug gangsta hamsters" is a truly embarassing!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hate to agree with you guys but I do. It looks like the advertisers are trying to play it safe. I also agree that they need to make the advertisement more exciting. They need to show what the car can do. Maybe having a commercial with Ken Block driving a regular Fiesta, on a closed course that is.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a car of this caliber to be upstaged by a bunch of "pimp thug gangsta hamsters" is a truly embarassing!
Ain't that the truth! The hamster commercials are a lot more memorable.

Come on Ford....promote the Fiesta in action!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something in this vein maybe????
I think the race track setting is overkill for the Fiesta. Show it on some back road twisties being driven by regular people.

"Fiesta...A car that inspires handling confidence as well as being a technology showcase."

·
Registered
949 Posts
all while the car is sitting there...motionless.
The idea behind 'Kinetic Design' is that it looks like the car is in motion, even if it's just standing still. Or so. Anyway, I found it mildly amusing. And it's definitely a song that sticks in your head. At least it does with me.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I don't like FordUrban.com and the TV ads are just hipster crap. The car is awesome and thankfully stands on its own.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That was actually from an episode of Top Gear and the VW execs didn't like the commercial because it showed their car being slower than other cars.
If you have never watched Top Gear the host actually hate diesel cars and that is why they showed the car being out run by the other cars. Top Gear is actually a very entertaining show and they usually don't pull any punches when driving or discussing cars.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The Ford Ka had a 'performance' version (derived from the convertible version StreetKa), named SportKa. Here are 2 fun commercials:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Ford rarely gets a TV ad right for the US market. 99% of their ads are horrible at best. Exceptions include the Ken Block Fiesta, and the Ford GT "Pace car for an entire company" that was shown once during the Superbowl. The ad was so awesome, I found a contact who got me a copy on DVD. I bet I have watched it hundreds of times. The problem is that whenever I find an ad that is really good, some group gets all pissy and has it yanked. If anyone can remember the Cindy Crawford Caddy ad, Corvette at the skate park, and anything that shows hooning always gets taken off the air. Kia probably has the best car ads that are entertaining to watch.

I like ads that have loud engine noises, smoke, slides, gear shifts, red-lining tachs, jumps, general hooning, racing, and anything that makes most mom groups cringe. That is why I love Top Gear, since it is full of all that kind of stuff.:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
That commercial was a spoof!

I hope you realize the sarcasm in that Scirocco ad. Look at the URL and you'll see "Top Gear" in there. TG made a fake VW ad to make fun of the car because they hated it. Their thinking was "Why put a diesel in a wonderful sports car and make it awful?" If you want fuel economy, buy an economy car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts