Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how many out there already have their Fiestas? If so, how long now? Any one longer than a couple of weeks now? I'm guessing there weren't any deliveries made before July 1? Anyway, moving on to this car's mechanics. Depending on how long you've had possession of your Fiesta, any comments on the following:

1. Dual-Clutch Transmission (performance so far?)
2. MPG (what has everyone achieved so far; ie best city & hwy MPG)?
3. Overall impression?

Mine is a SES Hatchback loaded with all options and I've had it sine last Saturday (7/10).

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I've had my Fiesta since 6/22
1. it's a 5-speed manual and shifting it is very nice.
2. I'm averaging 30 mpg overall city and highway combined.
3. it's awesome! quiet, excellent build quality. fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my SE Hatchback for almost two weeks. I am only posting because I am surprised to see the fuel economy eRic is getting.

1. 5-speed
2. Combined mpg with a little trying - 39 to 41 mpg.
Backroad driving - 44 mpg (my 30 mile drive home from the dealership)
Flogging the Fiesta through some curves - about 35 mpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had my SE Hatchback for almost two weeks. I am only posting because I am surprised to see the fuel economy eRic is getting.

1. 5-speed
2. Combined mpg with a little trying - 39 to 41 mpg.
Backroad driving - 44 mpg (my 30 mile drive home from the dealership)
Flogging the Fiesta through some curves - about 35 mpg
Way too many factors, but it has to do with where you live, the gas you use, how you drive, and what speed you cruise at.

I've always gotten 1-2 mpg more using Chevron gas instead of generic gas, Shell can sometimes give similar improvements but I like Chevron's cleaning properties better.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Eric is an autocrosser and I would expect him to drive with, lets say "enthusiasm". Isn't that right Eric?:D;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mileage improving

It's good to see that the car is getting mileage returns as promised by Ford. I've only had my car now for about 5 days and have put about 350 miles on it; I'm getting a combined MPG of around 31. I'm fulling expecting this to improve as the engine breaks in. Kudos to Malauber for managing 44 MPG out of his car.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Eric is an autocrosser and I would expect him to drive with, lets say "enthusiasm". Isn't that right Eric?:D;)
something like that... the display says 30.2 mpg now. one tank full was 31.4 mpg when I did the math.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In the 200 miles I've put on the car, the computer is showing 35.1mpg. This weekend I'll probably go through a tank or two :D, so I can compare the computer to what I calculate manually.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Expect fuel economy to improve by at least 10% after your first oil change.

What about comfort, interior quality, and all that stuff? Anyone think the reviews were spot on?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Expect fuel economy to improve by at least 10% after your first oil change.

What about comfort, interior quality, and all that stuff? Anyone think the reviews were spot on?
I'm barely getting 23 mpg on almost all highway driving. But it's because I'm idling a lot in the driveway learning how to use everything, and I'm cranking the air conditioning. Since getting 23 under those circumstances is not too shabby, I can't wait to see what happens when I settle down and operate it normally in cooler weather.

Also, the lower you set the AC, the better your mileage is. I always thought just having it on was bad, but there are GRADIENTS of bad. :)

Comfort - high. The seat is very good, though I don't feel like it's holding me in place from side-to-side as well. The cloth actually has a sheen to it, so it doesn't cause friction with your clothes, which means you don't feel as stuck to the seat.
The steering wheel is a great thickness - it feels really substantial. But the texture of the wheel is kind of abrasive for my hands, so I'm going to cover it with something.

Buttons are awesome, everything seems sturdy, everything is easy to reach. There is a high learning curve on Sync and the radio and even the climate controls, which is why I'm idling in the driveway so long each day trying to learn it all. But I'm getting the hang of it. It's not confusing, so once you know it you remember it, but it's not intuitive. I actually have to study and take notes on some of this stuff, and I'm one of the go-to tech people in my office!!

The car is so dang fast. If I didn't know better, I'd assume that I'd just traded up in horsepower from my Olds Alero. I'm still mourning having an automatic, but I'm learning not to stomp on the accelerator. Plan ahead. Press the pedal gently 1/3 of way to the floor. Be ready to take evasive action when you realize you are going too fast and about to rear end whatever is in front of you.

Air conditioning is amazing. Cools down in seconds even in 95 degree weather, polar air temperature means you never have to crank it for more than a minute. Stereo is so powerful that the bass shakes the door, the floor where the manual clutch would be, the rear view mirror. But without degrading into that rattle - sound stays clear even while it's shaking the car. Big, good, sound. I think my legs are so long I have to adjust the balance so that more of it is coming from the car's back speakers, but I'll play with that this weekend.

And it's sexy from every angle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow that's a great review Meg! I'll be looking at a Monterey Gray Metallic at a local dealer at the end of the month. It's the same exact one you have, although not my first choice in color, but it has the right options.

I've been driving manual cars for about 10 years straight, I think I am starting to get tired of shifting lol. I would easily trade you if I could find a 5spd Ingot Silver.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem in DCT?

Ok, I may be the first to report a potential problem. I started the thread because I wanted to know what everyone is experiencing with their cars and it's good to see that all of us are satisfied with them so far. Almost from Day One I've observed a 'sloppy gear noise' (similar to a throw-out bearing noise on manual transmissions) coming from the front driver's side wheel when the car is crawling in reverse. It sometimes becomes more pronounced when I hit the driveway curb. Nothing is heard when the car is in drive. Another thing I've notice is when it is in drive at a stop, if I inch forward (at crawling speed), I notice (feel) a 'shuttering' or a faint clutch chatter. This disappears once I speed up to at least 1-2 MPH. I might be too sensitive to this but it is noticable. I think the two concerns are related and are most likely coming from the DCT. I plan to get this checked out at my dealer. Has anyone else noticed this?

On my 2nd tank of gas and I'm hitting 33 MPH combined city/highway.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I'd take it to a Ford repair location or your dealership and have them observe the sound.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok, I may be the first to report a potential problem. I started the thread because I wanted to know what everyone is experiencing with their cars and it's good to see that all of us are satisfied with them so far. Almost from Day One I've observed a 'sloppy gear noise' (similar to a throw-out bearing noise on manual transmissions) coming from the front driver's side wheel when the car is crawling in reverse. It sometimes becomes more pronounced when I hit the driveway curb. Nothing is heard when the car is in drive. Another thing I've notice is when it is in drive at a stop, if I inch forward (at crawling speed), I notice (feel) a 'shuttering' or a faint clutch chatter. This disappears once I speed up to at least 1-2 MPH. I might be too sensitive to this but it is noticable. I think the two concerns are related and are most likely coming from the DCT. I plan to get this checked out at my dealer. Has anyone else noticed this?

On my 2nd tank of gas and I'm hitting 33 MPH combined city/highway.
That's the DCT, and it's normal. All reviews I have read said the same thing about the automatic. So, nothing is wrong with your fiesta :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is the 6 speed and it so far seems to ride pretty well. I'm not someone to talk to about the transmission though as I'm coming from a CVT for the last 5 years so I'm having to get used to the whole feeling the car shifting into distinct physical gears. I've only had it for about 3 full days now. It's got around 70 miles on it (and it had 20 when I took delivery).

I have a mix of about half city / half highway to and from work. It's only like a 9 mile drive though one way. Driving home from the dealer I averaged 38 MPG (over 4.5 miles) and that was pretty much all city. I let my car idle in the driveway while I was messing with the SYNC version checker and it dropped to mid 20s. After 2.5 days of commuting for work I've brought it back up to 32.4 and it creeps up more and more as I average out that idling from the first night. I'm guessing my next tank I'll probably average around 40.

The interior is really nice. It all seems pretty sturdy and well put together. There aren't any jarring aspects of it... it all just seems to fit together just right. The lack of an arm rest in the center is a little weird to get used to. Also the lack of the arm rest means lack of a center storage compartment to put cables (for my zune and my phone), my zune, any cds, gloves, etc into. The glove compartment isn't real roomy either so the car manual might be best kept outside the car or possibly under the seat. Overall though it's a great little car and definitely impressed me more than I thought it would.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The lack of an arm rest in the center is a little weird to get used to. Also the lack of the arm rest means lack of a center storage compartment to put cables (for my zune and my phone), my zune, any cds, gloves, etc into. The glove compartment isn't real roomy either so the car manual might be best kept outside the car or possibly under the seat. Overall though it's a great little car and definitely impressed me more than I thought it would.
Seconded...I wish I had some cover in the armrest so I can conceal my ipod and spare change and whatnot. I might be interested if Ford comes out with something that has storage. but you're not really supposed to leave these sensitive electronics in extreme temperatures anyway, so maybe it's just as well, at least for the summer and winter months.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The glove compartment isn't real roomy either so the car manual might be best kept outside the car or possibly under the seat.
I wouldn't put it under the seat because of the rear seat heat ducts may get blocked!

·
Banned
528 Posts
Fuel Mileage and other interesting info...

On my trip to Arkansas (from Dallas) I got my average up to 42, some city driving around during my 20 year reunion brought it down a little, and then got back up to 41 on the trip back. Had to sit on the side of the road for an hour and 1/2 last night after my wife's 2009 Focus died. Idling in the 108 degree heat with the A/C blasting brought it down below 40. Incedentally....if anyone has Progressive insurance, and the "My rate program", the transponder that plugs into the OBD Port apparently caused the problem. Progessive Insurance talked to the dealer (Sam Pack's 5 Star Ford North Richland Hills Texas) and they drove the car all day...no codes in the ECM. The tech ran every conceivable test and found nothing wrong with the car, and no problems since. BY THE WAY Pack's 5 Star Ford WAS AWESOME.....came out, picked up my wife off of the side of the road, assisted us with alternate transportation (stayed after hours) Ford Roadside Assistance took care of the tow...Progressive also made arrangements to pay for anything not covered under warranty (since it was a non Ford part that apparently was the culprit) Either FIVE STAR FORD is awesome.....Go see them if you live in north Texas..

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
my last tank of fuel was 33 mpg.

·
Registered
341 Posts
On Thursday, Friday and Saturday my Fiesta was only getting 22.5 mpg, regardless of highway/open suburban roads/AC on or off. Even though the manual warns that you shouldn't start measuring the fuel economy until after the first 1,000 miles, that was absurdly low and I was getting nervous about what it meant.

But today it fixed itself and my pleasant evening drive on the Beltway was getting about 42 mpg even with AC on. Whew.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts