Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Philly-

I have a 2014 Fiesta Ecoboost which I mostly love but sometimes stuff happens that undermines my confidence in Ford!

I was driving down the highway today outside of Philly and my temp went all the way up very suddenly. I got off the highway and had a look under the hood and the fitting for the coolant hose for the turbo where it enters the reservoir was snapped off and distintegrated. It was pulp! I could scrape it away with my fingernail!

Anyway, I did a quick and dirty repair with electrical tape and some cable ties. It took a whole jug of coolant, so I think the engine was pretty close to dry, which is very upsetting to me. It runs ok but the turbo lets out a loud squeal when it kicks in.

We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

Anyway- yous might wanna check the same fitting on your Fiestas!

Cheers-

Flex

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I broke mine while replacing the water pump at ~84k miles a few weeks back. I don't like plastic/nylon fittings in cooling systems. They are a recipe for disaster.

How many miles on yours? Still under powertrain warranty?

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
This is horrible. Not a fan of plastic for the cooling system. The original EU configuration of the 1.0 cooling system had multiple failures of the cooling system plastic pipes. Now that I say that, it's not the plastic itself but rather that the material spec Ford uses is not sufficient to handle normal duty cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bet this is whats happening to me, I have a hour commute to work and the temp light came on the other day, checked the coolant and it took 1/2 a gallon (cant find a leak anywhere). 72k on mine now, going into ford on Thursday so they can fix there problem, not going to cost me a dime. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, whirledpeaz, that's kinda what mine looked like.

So things have gone from bad to worse. MUCH worse.

I called the dealer first thing and they said that the fitting by itself is not available. I can get the whole hose/fitting assembly for $39 but it is on back order with no ETA.

So I cobbled together a water tight fitting with a some tubing and clamps and such, filled it back up with coolant, tried to fire it up. It took about a minute to catch and when it did, guess what the exhaust smelled like? You got it. Coolant.

And here's the death knell: 60,964 miles. And no. I don't have the extended warranty.

Brought it to the dealer. Waiting to hear back.

And BTW: The dealer rebuilt the engine at 25k after a massive overheat episode. They said it was due to a gouge in the top of the block when the engine was assembled. Still love the car.

Sigh. Poor little greenie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RIP Little Greenie

The engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced and Ford is firm on not covering it under warranty since it has 60,900 miles. We're talking $4000-$5000.

I can't afford it. And I'm still paying it off.

Sad day.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the sympathy, whirledpeaz.

>> Have you contacted Ford yourself?

I contacted the shxt out of them. No dice.

I might go with a used engine. I suspect the turbo is toast too, so it's still gonna be a few grand with the labor.

Quite depressing.

·
Registered
650 Posts

I might go with a used engine. I suspect the turbo is toast too, so it's still gonna be a few grand with the labor.

Quite depressing.
I know it must be. I have contacted them on another forum after I discovered some wheel damage a few days after we bought our fusion. The dealer said ford declined to take responsibility. I contacted them and a few days later I got a call back from the dealer saying they (Ford) would take care of it.

Keep us posted. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bet this is whats happening to me, I have a hour commute to work and the temp light came on the other day, checked the coolant and it took 1/2 a gallon (cant find a leak anywhere). 72k on mine now, going into ford on Thursday so they can fix there problem, not going to cost me a dime. :)
I have this problem in Thailand. Mine's been in the dealer 2 weeks and they can't find a coolant system leak. It's either something that leaks only when it's been running a while or it's a head gasket. I'm pushing them to do a compression test but they're reluctant so far.

I've got a series of cooling system upgrades to do once the warranty runs out in 2 months, but in the meantime it's Ford's problem to fix.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Quite depressing.
Would an extended warranty cover an issue like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>>Would an extended warranty cover an issue like this?

Urp. I think it would if I had one. I inquired about getting one and they said "Sure, but since you're out of warranty we need to send someone to inspect the vehicle.

So check this out! It turns out that Ford in the UK did a recall on the turbo coolant hose for the Focus with the Ecoboost 1.0 engine! Turns out it was falling apart and causing the engine to overheat!

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/247642-10-ecoboost-radiator-hose-pipe-recall/

And here's a guy in the UK whose Ecoboost has blown up twice, just like mine!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1446484

And

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just happened to me over the weekend. I had changed the coolant at 100k miles and had no issues. Was under the car doing my 110k oil change and noticed coolant along the bottom of the oil pan. As soon as I even touched the fitting at the coolant reservoir the fitting crumbled. Luckily I've caught it while the engine wasn't running and I have no reason to believe there is any engine damage, but I'm still stuck waiting ~5 days on the part.

I'm going to put this item on a 50k mile replacement interval based on the mileage of some of the other failures reported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which hoses is everyone having issues with?

SFR~us~en~file=E172911_EUR_650_JPG~gen~ref.jpg

I'm presuming that it's the medium hose from the coolant tank to the upper part of the turbo cooling that was the Ford EU recall?

It's sounding like everyone's having issues with any and all of the hoses that use the quick connect fittings rather than the classic clamps... It's rather tempting to just go all out and replace them all with high quality gates and just use clamps everywhere.

On an aside note, the hose that's routed from the thermostat to the mechanical water pump behind the turbo alongside the block is currently in backorder from Ford Parts. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No Fiesta Ecoboost has ever been recalled in Europe, only some early Focus Ecoboosts which had a coolant hose that went from coolant reservoir to the turbo and had a plastic section in the middle of the hose. That plastic section broke and engine got cooked.

The Fiesta has two coolant hoses/pipes with a plastic connector in the coolant reservoir end. Those connectors can become brittle over time and break. ( I know about 5 cases where that has happened). I think it's not that common but since those connectors are affected by heat and possibly the coolant it doesn't hurt to change those two hoses. They can easily be identified by the plastic connectors in the reservoir end. New model Fiesta Ecoboost in Europe doesn't have those connectors anymore and ford has also changed the size and shape of the coolant reservoir to cope up with the heat and pressure better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The hose on mine just fell off today. Having it towed now to the dealer. Hoping the CPO warranty covers this.
It left a line of coolant down the road for about a mile. Mostly light downhill driving, temp gauge showed normal temps, however the over heat light came on. Immediately pulled over and turned the car off. There was still about an inch of coolant in the reservoir, but the line to the turbo snapped off at the quick connect.
74k miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hose on mine just fell off today. Having it towed now to the dealer. Hoping the CPO warranty covers this.
It left a line of coolant down the road for about a mile. Mostly light downhill driving, temp gauge showed normal temps, however the over heat light came on. Immediately pulled over and turned the car off. There was still about an inch of coolant in the reservoir, but the line to the turbo snapped off at the quick connect.
74k miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So how did it turn out? Did your engine got cooked or could it be fixed with some new parts and coolant top up ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bumping this one...

How did this end up? Many people will be more aware of coolant levels and leakage. Also interested to hear what parts were needed to repair the issue.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've ordered a knockoff replacement tank&cap from ebay for $29, OEM upper coolant hose (to engine) for $33, OEM middle coolant hose (to turbo) for $38. I'll reuse the lowest hose this go around.

My tank is looking really sketch, tank & fittings have micro cracks in the plastic, system still holding pressure though. I'll hold out until the winter before replacing when my major maintenance is due, unless the parts fail before then. I'm confident in my warning system, I test it monthly.

I'm curious how much environment plays in system failure. AZ gets hot, and only dips into freezing occasionally. I'm surprised the tank and lines have lasted nearly 6 years thus far!

·
Registered
51 Posts
By continuing to use those baked out parts, you are either playing with fire or you get off on doing roadside repairs! I don't trust those degas tanks one day past two years of age/use. I experienced a tank failure on a 2.0 ZETEC Focus a few years ago. It lost all but a few ounces of coolant within about twenty seconds. I was driving along at about 50 mph.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts