Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm mildly dissapointed that the LED accent lights on our bumpers provide no actual benefit other than parking lights, and honestly, I would really like some fog lights.

I'm going to guess that since our bumpers are so different, there is no ready made bracket to allow us to bolt on some aftermarket lights either.

If no-one has any thoughts on the matter before I go taking my bumper off, please chime in NOW :)

If not, then I'm going to dissasemble the front end, see what's there for mounting and then take a trip over to rallylights.com (thier actual warehouse is 30 mins from my house) and determine what lights fit best in the grill.

I'm hoping there's an easy solution that doesn't require elaborate mounting brackets and lots of drilling (which I'm no stranger to :) ).

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have tossed around the idea of buying the sedan grille for my car, fabricating brackets to stick thru the upper grille, and mounting a set of Hella 500's on there for winter use. I did that on my Focus and it worked very well. The lack of foglamps on the Fiesta is stupid, and the LED's do absolutly nothing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the look of the fog lights on the European version. Still not sure what the purpose of the LED is:confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I like the look of the fog lights on the European version. Still not sure what the purpose of the LED is:confused:
The only purpose I see of having the LED lights instead of true fog lights is purely for "bling-bling" effect. They are all for show, nothing else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Heard on opinion, it was to make it look like the concept car - forget what they called it. I'm OK w/ some bling like the ambient lighting but don't take a function in it's place.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There isn't any room behind the bumper where the foglights are to make true functioning foglights from the factory. That's why they went with the accent lights. They wanted something there but real fogs would not fit with the modifications to the bumper to meet NA crash specs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I took a good look behind there today and as I had feared there's not much in the way of options there. I'm not quite sure how the front lower grille is attached but if that could be removed, the bumper beam is at just the right height to glue a bracket (or some good two sided adhesive) directly to the beam,hanging down And facing forward. Then leaving them behind the grill. The two things I don't like about this setup are heat on the grill and air restriction (plus most good fogs don't like being mounted upside down).

Leaving fabrication of the upper grille as the best option.

Hopefully someone either comes up with a snap in piece or some brackets ala mini coopers, like I had here:

Althought, I must say, those were not the most stable.

THE ultimate easiest solutons however are:
Drilling many holes in the lower air dam and putting leds there, like the 12V ones from oznium
or
Put some very low profile fog in that same spot (under the car essentially, just in front of the air dam), just don't spend much money on them because they will get broken or ripped off on a good dip in the road, lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yep, those are left over cars from the Fiesta Movement.

Jason, there is actually a decent amount of room behind the LED things on the front bumper. I was expecting to have to remove the bumper in order to gain access to the LED lights to wrap them. The washer bottle on the driver's side is really close, but the passenger side is pretty open. I think the fog lamps off the EU Fiesta would be too big to fit in that area, but the smaller ones from the Fusion Sport may have worked. The EU Fogs were pretty close to the bumper structure from what I could tell from looking under the car. It was hard to really get a good look with all the shields in place. What I have been told by a number of people is that the LED lights were prefered in customer surveys compared to fog lamps. I think the survey was probably misleading. I sat in a meeting for "future product developments" for the Fiesta and the wording of the questions was really open to interpretation. I wasn't well liked in that meeting since I kept asking about power increases of EcoBoost rather than MPG. An example question was "Would you pay $xxx more for xx more MPG thru a EB motor?" I said I would pay $XXXX for an Ecoboost engine with no increase in MPG and 150-175hp. Everyone else was all giddy for a few extra MPG but could care less about hp. I am guessing the LED's went something like that. Would you want LED lighting? Everyone circled yes, but did not realize it would cost the car fog lamps. Heck, I would have said yes assuming the LED's would be something included with fog lamps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know you have done a lot of work to your Fiesta, so I definitely believe what you say.

I was just going by the reason Mark Kaufman told me at the Ford Nationals.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
depending on the size of the fog lamps, I can see that it could be the case. The washer bottle is surely in the way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I noticed that the 2010 Fusion Sport has a fog light mounted in a trapezoid shape similar to the Fiesta's. I wonder if that could be cut/trimmed to fit. There is still the issue of space BEHIND the 'zoid, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided im going to use LEDs mounted eitherin the air dam or under the chin spoiler. I just received my first 3w led kit from ebay last week to test. Its painfully bright, I went with a 15 degree lens but cutoff will still be an issue if I do not set them back far enough. The leds match the accent lights for color temp which is nice. The obvious challenge is mounting and this will take vsome creative fab. Especially since these leds put off so much heat and integrating the heat sink is essential. 6-8 leds should be overkill for lumens (150 each), with 2-3 per side. I'll. Keep you updated, but progress is slow with needy kids and daddys toys take a back seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
how hard would it be to add fog lights oem

does anyone know if this can happen yet??? just wondering what the cost would be

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already have the OEM "fog lights", these LED fogs on there now are nothing more than glorified parkings lamps and produce light about 2 feet in front of the car. Conversion to the EU lights would:
A. Get rid of your parking lights.
B. Not Fit.

So, I'm looking at mounting some LED's (to keep with the LED theme and color Scheme either in the lower grill or under the chin spoiler.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I already have the OEM "fog lights", these LED fogs on there now are nothing more than glorified parkings lamps and produce light about 2 feet in front of the car. Conversion to the EU lights would:
A. Get rid of your parking lights.
B. Not Fit.

So, I'm looking at mounting some LED's (to keep with the LED theme and color Scheme either in the lower grill or under the chin spoiler.
To be fair, Ford has never referred to the LED's as fog or driving lights.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Most likely with a few bucks and some time with customizing the housing I bet one could install projector fogs from the Focus ST170 as well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine are going behind the grill, I'm not keeping the blinders on in regards to fogs having to be in the LED location. Not sure but I think the 3" Cibies from the Marauder, or the 4" from the SVTF. Probably the 3" since I already have a set on hand.

I'm also trying the headlight bulb upgrade, H-9 in place of the lowbeam H-11 (goes from 1350 lumens to 2100 lumens) and a high beam upgrade to 9011 HIR-1's (Halogen IR) and whilst I can't find the numbers for 9011's the anywhere I believe the improvement was from somewhere around 1750 lumens stock to around 2500 lumens for the HIR-1's. This helps a great deal without even having to add any separate lights to the car. I've been using this exact bulb setup in my Lincoln LS for......at least 4 years now and they are superb and haven't been replaced yet either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts