Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the timing belt themselves? I think it’s something that I want to try and tackle on my own given that I’m at 130k and my water pump is leaking a little.

If so, could you link me to the tool kit you used and if you used the flywheel locking tool? Any useful info would be nice.

Also, if anyone has a used timing belt tool kit they are looking to sell, I’d love to take it off your hands.

· Registered
86 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Im in the process of doing it right now and in my opinion, it is pretty labor intensive. I’ve done the timing belt on an old Volvo and an old suburban in the past and both required much less part removal.
i do have a question though: the tool kit i bought comes with a crankshaft pulley alignment tool that keys into a notch on the back of the pulley, but my pulley doesn’t have the notch. Is the pulley position not actually critical?
i did make a mark with a sharpie on the pulley and block, so I should be able to roughly get it into the same position, but the tool would have been useful

· Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the response.
I had the cam lock and crank locking pin in the motor when the pulley seems to have rotated. I don’t know if it’s possible that the crank could have rotated with the pin in place, unless the pin bent…. I’d hope that it’s more likely that the pulley just slipped. I loosened the crankbolt with an overlapping belt around the crank pulley and AC pulley rather than using the starter/flywheel locking tool.... pretty amateur I know...
I read that you can test TDC with a dowel and pulling spark plug #1, rotating the crank until the piston is at it's highest point.. maybe that's worth it as a safety check?
Just getting anxious about breaking stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts