Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Dual 3" tips sounds a little bit excessive for my tastes. I am worried that many aftermarket exhaust systems will suffer from having massive tips out the back, which just beg for kids and cops to harrass about. For twin tips, 2.25-2.5" is about the size that should look about right. Some dyno results would be really nice to compare. I know FSWerks will supply dyno results with their parts.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The Magnaflow sound clip sounds horrible. It sounds like the car is missing its muffler. I think it could be a little more refined.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A resonator is a must..

That mid mounted resonator smooths out the tone and helps maintain the torque. I just did not like the sound of the Magnaflow at all. From what I have gathered, a very low restriction is not really great in small displacement engines. It may help Horsepower but it kills torque. some back pressure is needed for proper exhaust scavenging effect as well. I wish I knew more about the whys and hows. but I have my hands full just getting my regular duties completed without delving into the "black arts" exhaust design. The system on my car has a resonator. The first one they installed did not. It was about the same, slightly less rough at idle. I wonder how many companies will build mufflers as big as the O.E. unit. It is freakin' HUGE! the replacement seemed so wimpy looking compared to the 19.5" long O.E. beast that hung in it's place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just FYI, (torque x rpm)/5252 = horsepower

So if it hurts torque it hurts horsepower, if it helps horsepower, it helps torque.

The questions would be what does it do to gains at low vs high rpm.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I thought it sounded pretty good. Not as high-pitched as most imports come off as. Though, doing a drive-by sound test between buildings does cause a strange canyon echo effect. The tires were actually louder to me than the exhaust.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just FYI, (torque x rpm)/5252 = horsepower

So if it hurts torque it hurts horsepower, if it helps horsepower, it helps torque.

The questions would be what does it do to gains at low vs high rpm.
I think that what mress was referring to was the fact that low & mid range torque is usually sacrificed when back pressure is reduced. I've experienced this before on several vehicles I experimented with and the difference can be dramatic on poorly engineered systems. I would guess that the effect of an aftermarket exhaust on a computer-controlled, variable valve timing system might be even harder to predict.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, the Magnaflow muffler sounds loud! I have a Magnaflow on my Solstice and all it does is add a little extra bark to the exhaust, the rest of the time it's pretty quiet. The Fiesta exhaust by comparison sounds like there's no muffler on the car at all. Any reports on the hp gain?

BTW the link to the part above is wrong, it should actually be:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=3711

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I like how quiet the Fiesta is. I'd not want to change it's sound.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Absolutely untrue, A Magnaflow will sound different than a Borla which will sound different than anything else.
Magnaflows always go for a deeper note, borlas more snarly and quieter.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
This exhaust sounds horrible. So will every exhaust but the factory one on a 1.4L motor.
Anything to back up your assumptions about exhaust sounding horrible? I have tried all sorts of different exhaust combo's when I had a ZX3. Some I loved, others not so much. Many times the sound you like, may not be the one somebody else likes. To make a blanket statment that all exhaust systems will sound horrible with nothing to support your comment is poor.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Magnaflows always go for a deeper note, borlas more snarly and quieter.
I've always found magnaflows to be kind of raspy and Borlas a bit smoother.

Both tend to deepen the exhaust note, The stock system on my car actually sounded pretty good for factory but it was too tinny and raspy for my taste.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
funny as I found the stock SVT Focus to have the perfect sound for me. I was the happiest with my ZX3 with a race header and SVT catback. For volume, the SVT Focus stock was about right and is what I am hoping for with the Fiesta. I want some exhaust note, but I don't want anything that sounds like a kids car. If I pick the right one, it will be money, pick the wrong one, and I get upset neighbors, again.

·
Registered
642 Posts
pick the wrong one, and I get upset neighbors, again
Yea, the last thing you want is your Fiesta sounding like a cheap 'tuner car' with a bolt-on tin can muffler that came off the shelf from the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah! thats what I meant.

I think that what mress was referring to was the fact that low & mid range torque is usually sacrificed when back pressure is reduced. I've experienced this before on several vehicles I experimented with and the difference can be dramatic on poorly engineered systems. I would guess that the effect of an aftermarket exhaust on a computer-controlled, variable valve timing system might be even harder to predict.
It has as much to do with "where" in the power band it makes an effect as to "how much". I do not need parts that make power in places I can't get to when I need to call it up. thats what I mean't.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm all for gaining horsepower and sound (if it's right) from an exhaust.
I've changed my exhaust to my BMW 3 Series and it was the right thing to do.

For my Fiesta, I'm apprehensive.
I've never liked the ricey-ness (just drone and more drone on a bad vehicle) of some bad exhausts and modifying the Fiesta may put me right in there.

I'm going to wait and see.
If Borlas are more in line, I might consider but for now it's stock.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts