Fiesta Faction banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
It is recommended to not exceed 55 but we all know that are some roads where 65 is the posted limit. Otherwise, you are correct ... I've run as high as 70 during the breakin period on all the Fiestas I've had. No bad things happened because of it.

Fiesta manual only really notes that the MPG may not be too accurate during the first 1000 miles or so due to breakin period. Many drivers still consider 1-2K as a breakin period on any new car.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Does the break in period still include keeping it no more than 55 mph? I thought those days were over and it only involved accelerating gently, not flooring it.
Where does the break in period say not to exceed 55 ?
Two things on break in. Do not drive at a steady speed. Do not rev the engine to upper range.
When warmed up higher speeds are OK. Staying within speed limits is easy way to break in.
Pretty much what is said above.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had the '12 up to ~100mph with the flow of traffic while make my way back from a Tennessee road trip with the better half.

As for break in period in the '14, I'm glad my commute is varied enough that I just need to drive normal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's BS that Speedos are not accurate, just crap. It's not that difficult to make them accurate.
Ok, believe that. You're new here. It's not real smart to go behind people like me, who have been on this forum longer than you, and say that what we say is "crap." I wouldn't have a reputation with a few hundred "likes" to my posts if I post crap. My car shows 75 and I'm doing 72. I can prove it any day of the week. It's 2.5mph off at 70. And 2mph off at 55. At 57 it says I'm doing 55. Multiple GPS's have shown this. I really don't appreciate you saying its "crap". My father had a Ford Aerostar van (remember those door wedges?) that was 5-7mph off at all speeds starting around 30.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, I was referring to them, automotive manufacturers, not being able to make accurate speedos as being crap... not you.. jeez.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where does the break in period say not to exceed 55 ?
Two things on break in. Do not drive at a steady speed. Do not rev the engine to upper range.
When warmed up higher speeds are OK. Staying within speed limits is easy way to break in.
Pretty much what is said above.
Hmmm. Hopefully I dont run into any trouble down the road. When I bought mine at 6miles, I took the 2 hours drive straight home driving between 60 and 70mph the whole way.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Wow, I was referring to them, automotive manufacturers, not being able to make accurate speedos as being crap... not you.. jeez.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Whats sad is I knew EXACTLY what you meant, what I didn't know was length of time, post counts and "likes" made one an expert over someone who is new here. I have over 1225 likes, but thats only because of my wit, charm and derailment expertise..overall I don't know s**t :(

Welcome to the Faction Mario, hurry up and build up your post count so you can know s**t lol !! :p

Oh, in terms of speedo accuracy, I just trust the man with the radar gun has used his tuning fork that morning and it is easy when he gives me written documentation of my speed to verify accuracy.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Any local dragstrips do time brackets? Even if you break out of the bracket, you'll have the electronic results without a fine attached.

My brother did that to check his speedo on his '58 Rambler years ago ... confirmed the damn thing could go >100. Then he dragged the hearse there and proceeded to have fun with speedo checks as well. Was a lot cheaper than the cops.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Finally, Virtually all speedometers made have a margin of error (don't quote me, but I believe it can be up to 2%). Why? many because perfect calibration is expensive. I'm not sure if newer Taurus interceptors have it, but generally in the past "police package" vehicles had "certified calibrated" speedometers. This would be noted of the dial like this:

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ok, believe that. You're new here. It's not real smart to go behind people like me, who have been on this forum longer than you, and say that what we say is "crap." I wouldn't have a reputation with a few hundred "likes" to my posts if I post crap.
This line of thinking is ridiculous. When someone posts about his/her empirical experience it is no more correct than yours, necessarily. A person can walk in with post count "1" and state a fact, and that post count does not make it less factual.

You should listen to me, because I have a high post count, likes, and longevity invested in this forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
This line of thinking is ridiculous. When someone posts about his/her empirical experience it is no more correct than yours, necessarily. A person can walk in with post count "1" and state a fact, and that post count does not make it less factual.

You should listen to me, because I have a high post count, likes, and longevity invested in this forum. :rolleyes:
Audrey has spoken. Blessed be thy word. Though I have more longevity ;)

Sent from my iPad Air using sephamore.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Finally, Virtually all speedometers made have a margin of error (don't quote me, but I believe it can be up to 2%). Why? many because perfect calibration is expensive. I'm not sure if newer Taurus interceptors have it, but generally in the past "police package" vehicles had "certified calibrated" speedometers. This would be noted of the dial like this:

If I have the cruise set at 70, both my phone GPS and Garmin GPS will read 68-69. I've only noticed the margin of error at speeds above 50 or so when it becomes off by 1mph.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If I have the cruise set at 70, both my phone GPS and Garmin GPS will read 68-69. I've only noticed the margin of error at speeds above 50 or so when it becomes off by 1mph.
That would be in line with the margin of error percentage (which might be closer to 5%). Since it's a percentage and not a fixed number; the faster you go, the more of a difference you'll see.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts