Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From USA Today:

The steady launch of the Ford Fiesta hit another snag last week as shipments that were en route to American dealerships were halted to inspect the quality of a part that did not meet the manufacturer's standards.

Nearly 6,800 Fiestas are being inspected for a part that Ford has declined to name. According to Reuters, two unnamed sources with knowledge of the stop-shipment order have said the affected mystery part is a seat lever.

Nearly 2,300 of the Fiestas have been inspected and only 12 of those didn't meet Ford's specs, according to Ford spokesman Said Deep. The units that passed the inspection are now heading to dealer lots, with another 4,500 cars remaining to be inspected.

The issue was caught before any of the models were placed on dealer lots or in customers' hands, Deep said. Ford said it does not believe that any of the vehicles with potential defects had been sold to consumers.

The Fiesta has run into more than its fair share of logistics-related issues since the car went on sale in May:

The Fiesta suffered delays after a hurricane prevented shipments of the subcompact. The Fiesta is produced at Ford's Cuautitlan plant in Mexico. The hurricane and the part issue are not related despite both events cropping up so closely together, Deep said.

Buyers who've waited longer than a month for their Fiestas have been or will be issued a MasterCard gift card worth $50, according to The Detroit News. Ford has sold 4,377 Fiestas since the end of July, and another 6,500 to 7,000 are in transit to dealerships, according to Ford spokeswoman Angie Kozleski. Nearly 24,276 Fiestas have been produced so far for North America.

--Colin Bird/Cars.com's Kicking Tires

·
Registered
447 Posts
this is why i still don't have my car :( ford called me yesterday and said that my car is sitting, waiting to be inspected. they said that hopefully my car will arrive towards the end of NEXT month! i was supposed to have my car soooo long ago. i asked about the $50 gift card, but apparently i dont get one?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
this is why i still don't have my car :( ford called me yesterday and said that my car is sitting, waiting to be inspected. they said that hopefully my car will arrive towards the end of NEXT month! i was supposed to have my car soooo long ago. i asked about the $50 gift card, but apparently i dont get one?? :confused:
Where did they say your car is being held and did Ford actually call you or is that what your dealer said?

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Victim of the PR that has snowballed...

It's a big deal.....

Unfortunately, (and I feel sorry for Sam, because he really is a straight up guyt)
but the PR snowball that he started rolling down the hill, is now about the size of the moon, and getting bigger.

When you create that much momentum about a product, with an awesome PR campaign that is well received, orders come in (by the thousands) and then you can't deliver the product, for whatever reason you are in a heap of trouble.

1. The reservations system....Total Failure (where is Matt Wolfe btw?)
2. Late vehicles (I was lucky from date of order to delivery was slightly less than 8 weeks) which I would say is average for any vehicle order, but I was the exception to the rule. Where the system failed for me was the delivery process and promises not kept on the rebate, the thumb drive and the website.
3. Hurricane (questionable excuse) as most of the cars are coming thru Nogales.....
4. IIHS fiasco...
5. Seat handles? I call BS on this one.

Ford better get a handle on this. A very awesome car is going to fail not due to the car, It's AWESOME! But if you can't get it into the hands of the people you WOWED with your "It's a big deal" campaign and your "Fiestamovement" the only movement that is going to happen is a big movement in the toilet......a nationwide bowel movement.

Come on guys....get your head out of your butt and get this car delivered!

·
Registered
584 Posts
While the delays this entails are unfortunate, I think Ford should be applauded for being this proactive about the quality of their cars. They stopped shipment because only 12 of 2,300 cars didn't match spec? That's pretty anal of them (in a good way) - a couple years ago I bet they would've let the cars ship to dealers and leave the problem to them.

Of course, given the complaining going on, maybe Ford should give those waiting on the car the option to skip the post-production inspections and fixes. After all, it's a matter of priorities: getting the car on time, or getting the car without flaws, which would you prefer?...Honestly I think Ford's in a bit of a lose-lose situation with some of you guys here.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I want my $50 gift card....just got the letter, no card.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The seat back levers are the problem.....

Ford should have left good enough (no actually much better than good) alone!!!!!!!!!

The knob seat back controls are fine for Mercedes, BMW and, Audi so they are good enough for Ford in the USA.....

This change along with many others were STUPID and unecessary changes!!!!! Change for the sake of change because some consulting company needed to justify their fees is my guess!!!

Ford you should have listened to early comments about changes to the car....the less you would have changed the better off things would be right now...

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's a big deal.....
Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that there are fewer Fiesta commercials airing recently? Is this just my imagination, or have they cut back on the Fiesta advertising in an attempt to reduce demand temporarily?

Probably a smart move, if this is truly the case. Their PR machine is taking a huge hit on this one.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that there are fewer Fiesta commercials airing recently? Is this just my imagination, or have they cut back on the Fiesta advertising in an attempt to reduce demand temporarily?

Probably a smart move, if this is truly the case. Their PR machine is taking a huge hit on this one.

Definitely noticed this...I have seen NO airings since a couple of weeks ago.'

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
These type of logistic problems happen in all industries. If you follow consumer electronics, you'll know what I mean. And something as complex as an automobile has a far greater chance of potential sticking points.

With these new models being the first cars to roll off a newly built/reconfigured line, there is a chance of holdups.

So yes, unfortunately with this particular car having more marketing launch muscle behind it than a lot of cars do, any hiccups tend to get magnified by the media. They have to find something to write about.

The bad thing is that, yes, early adopters increase their risk of a less than perfect experience. But, once again, that happens quite often.

Personally, I feel that consumers who are sensitive to those types of issues should hold off buying ANY new product until the production cycle ramps up.

I'm not being a Ford apologist on this. I'm simply stating what is a well-documented possibility. In that, if you pin your hopes on a perfect experience as it relates to a new product, you may end up disappointed.

Those that are the "gotta have it first" types (which I sometimes include myself in btw) need to either roll with the punches, or dial down their need to be first.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
These type of logistic problems happen in all industries. If you follow consumer electronics, you'll know what I mean. And something as complex as an automobile has a far greater chance of potential sticking points.

With these new models being the first cars to roll off a newly built/reconfigured line, there is a chance of holdups.

So yes, unfortunately with this particular car having more marketing launch muscle behind it than a lot of cars do, any hiccups tend to get magnified by the media. They have to find something to write about.

The bad thing is that, yes, early adopters increase their risk of a less than perfect experience. But, once again, that happens quite often.

Personally, I feel that consumers who are sensitive to those types of issues should hold off buying ANY new product until the production cycle ramps up.

I'm not being a Ford apologist on this. I'm simply stating what is a well-documented possibility. In that, if you pin your hopes on a perfect experience as it relates to a new product, you may end up disappointed.

Those that are the "gotta have it first" types (which I sometimes include myself in btw) need to either roll with the punches, or dial down their need to be first.

Very well stated...FF1!!!!!

Actually when you think about it...the issues are fairly minimal...amazing considering the complexity in a modern car...

I think there seems to be a lot of over reaction here about the issues....

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't argue that but....

When you have produced well over 20,000 units and have less than half of those in the hands of dealers/owners something is bad wrong. There are people that ordered their Fiesta the same week I ordered mine, and still don't have them....Something is going to have to give.....somewhere or people are going to start walking away. Like I said earlier, these are AWESOME cars....I would hate to see a failure due to lack of ability to deliver. I think the knob could have been a dealer inspected issue and the process would have moved much quicker.

Just Sayin

·
Registered
303 Posts

That may be part of the reason for the ad slowdown. Some of the other reasons could be

1 Dealerships around this time of the year start the big sales for getting rid of the previous years inventory. Yep I've seen lots of Ford ads with Mile Rowe pushing the end of the year 2010 discounts...

2 It is back to school time most people aren't thinking about making a major purchase like a new car. The are thinking about where to get the most of the BTS bang for the buck.

3 It's the end of the summer not much good on tv so why do they want to waste ad dollars on reruns and pre-season football.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike Rowe...

That may be part of the reason for the ad slowdown. Some of the other reasons could be

1 Dealerships around this time of the year start the big sales for getting rid of the previous years inventory. Yep I've seen lots of Ford ads with Mile Rowe pushing the end of the year 2010 discounts...

2 It is back to school time most people aren't thinking about making a major purchase like a new car. The are thinking about where to get the most of the BTS bang for the buck.

3 It's the end of the summer not much good on tv so why do they want to waste ad dollars on reruns and pre-season football.
Never thought I would see Mike Rowe pushing the Ford Focus....but he is....there are tons of them on dealer lots and they are discounting them like crazy!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never thought I would see Mike Rowe pushing the Ford Focus....but he is....there are tons of them on dealer lots and they are discounting them like crazy!
It's a Dirty Job and somebody's got to do it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a 2010 Focus on the showroom floor at my local dealer in the same Blue Flame color we ordered on the Fiesta. That Focus could be had for the same price, or slightly cheaper than the Fiesta we are waiting for. It is starting to look like a viable alternative. I'll see what another week or two brings though. We've gone this long, so a bit more won't make a difference.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think there seems to be a lot of over reaction here about the issues....
LOL....That's funny coming from a guy who is insanely obsessed with the fact that the seat adjustment mechanism on the U.S. spec Fiesta was changed from a knob to a lever, and dedicated an entire thread on this forum just to point that out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a 2010 Focus on the showroom floor at my local dealer in the same Blue Flame color we ordered on the Fiesta. That Focus could be had for the same price, or slightly cheaper than the Fiesta we are waiting for. It is starting to look like a viable alternative. I'll see what another week or two brings though. We've gone this long, so a bit more won't make a difference.
One of my friends bought a Blue Flame Focus SE last weekend for right around $16,000 with Sync & cruise, and my aunt just bought a Blue Flame Focus SE yesterday for $15,200 with just cruise and an auto. They're definitely discounting Focus to lower than Fiesta prices.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.