Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we just signed the papers today, hoping that the car gets here Monday (dealer transfer). We got lobbied hard by the dealer to spring for the Ford Premium Maintenance Plan (link here) They say that it covers normal wear items (other than tires, and apparently not brake discs), tire rotation, oil changes (every 5K), and the "big" services at 30K and 60K, up to 5 years. For us, 60K is going to be a tick over 3 years in all likelihood. I'm accustomed to doing my oil changes myself. If they'll do it at 5000 miles, and use the Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend, I guess it's not such a bad deal, at $1195. (Gawd, it hurts to actually type that.)

So, I wanted to see if anyone else had gone for this, whether they'd squeezed a better price out of their dealer, and whether anyone knew for sure which oil was covered (I'll actually ask on Monday.) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'm usually a bit wary on any sort of these service packages up-front. If anything, I don't often hear how hoses and clutches go under 3 years or 36,000 miles of wear.

However, maintenance costs are going up (parts prices, labour, etc.). Then again, if you're apt in doing things yourself, getting OEM/Ford parts from our forum sponsors at cheaper prices could offset those higher list prices.

Brake pads are often nothing in cost. If you get them replaced with OEM/Ford Motorcraft by a Ford dealer, they should be covered by a lifetime guarantee anyhow. So, you basically buy one set of pads, and that's it. In most cases, you'll have to buy new discs anyhow when you install new pads, so it's a moot point on those.

The only other catch I can see is that you have to get it serviced within a specific interval. I can't see what would happen if, say, you're late on an interval (would they still honour it or are you voided)?

In the end, it's really up to you.

·
Registered
947 Posts
There actually isn't much to do at those "big" services except change the oil and air filters and perform all the normal inspections. I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't pay half of $1195 in maintenance costs in 5 years, especially if you do it yourself.
An oil filter + oil every 10,000 mi. ($25 each time?)
An air filter every 30,000 mi. ($15?)
Brake pads every 60,000 mi. ($40?)
In my experience, the disks will last for at least two sets of pads, unless you're really hard on brakes.

In my opinion, the dealer is making a killing on these deals.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the owner's manuals were conveniently "locked up" somewhere, and they couldn't tell me what the 30K and 60K services entailed, or what the spec oil is. We can bail on that part of the purchase, and may well. My reason for doing the oil changes has more to do with making sure it's done correctly than with saving money. It also doesn't hurt to stick your head under the car from time to time. We'll see.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, not that anyone was hanging on our decision, but we "opted out" of the maintenance plan. I went to the FLMOwner website and got the details on the services. As Reddog99 said, it's a lot of inspections and not much service. Basically oil and filter every 10K (or 6 months), cabin air filter every 20K, engine air filter every 30K. They only specify tire rotation every 10K, which I think is a mistake. Oddly, up to 70K, I didn't see any instruction to change the fuel filter. Anybody know what the interval is on that? I figure the coolant is 100K, like the spark plugs. So that left the wear items (clutch plates, brake pads and shoes, wiper blades). For the $X/month the plan would have cost us, I'll do the services and buy the expendables. YMMV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
fuel filter

i BELIEVE I SAW IN THE BOOK IT SAID THE IN TANK FUEL FILTER IS GOOD FOR 150,000 MILES....IF YOUR PRICE WAS JUST MAINTENANCE THAT IS WAY OVERPRICED ARE YOU SURE IT WASNT MAINTENANCE AND EXTENDED WARRANTY ALSO????I GOT MAINTENANCE,5YR/100,000EXT WARRANTY AND GAP INSURANCE Z-PLAN [email protected] THAT PRICE$1100....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i BELIEVE I SAW IN THE BOOK IT SAID THE IN TANK FUEL FILTER IS GOOD FOR 150,000 MILES....IF YOUR PRICE WAS JUST MAINTENANCE THAT IS WAY OVERPRICED ARE YOU SURE IT WASNT MAINTENANCE AND EXTENDED WARRANTY ALSO????I GOT MAINTENANCE,5YR/100,000EXT WARRANTY AND GAP INSURANCE Z-PLAN [email protected] THAT PRICE$1100....
Nope. Don't know how much the extended warranty was. The gap coverage was like $499.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I didn't see any instruction to change the fuel filter. Anybody know what the interval is on that?
Krnac is correct the fuel filter is in the tank and is on the end of the fuel pump. The fuel pump can be accessed under the back seat , instead of having to drop the tank like most cars, but there really isn't a schedule on it that I can find because it is replaced with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nope. Don't know how much the extended warranty was. The gap coverage was like $499.
I hope you didn't get the gap coverage from the dealer before checking with your insurance company first. I got gap insurance from my insurance company (Progressive) for around 3 dollars for 6 months.
As far as the policy that you were offered it did include the Premium Extended Warranty plan in with it. If you want the Premium extended warranty without the maintence feature that is also available and it will be a little bit cheaper than the plan that you were offered.
You also can by an extended warranty for your car anytime before the base warranty runs out which on the Fiesta is 3 years or 36000 miles whichever comes first.
Here is the website that shows all the plans available.
Ford Extended Service Plan Warranty | Ford ESP | FLMOwner.com
Here is the website that explans what coverage you have included with the purchase of the car.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fiesta/2011/warranty/
You will also get a bunch of stuff in the mail from aftermarket warranty companies that will be a lot cheaper than the Ford plans. Do yourself a favor and just shred those because while they sound like they cover a lot when the time comes to actually get something fixed there are less than willing to cover something unless it matches there list exactly. I have seen customer many times come in with theses plans, yes you can get the car fixed with these plans at the dealer, thinking that they wouldn't have to worry about paying alot and then the company declines the repair.
If you actually like the piece of mind extended coverage on your can then an extended warranty is worth it. If you like to fix your car out of your own pocket for parts and labor then don't buy one. I personally don't by them but I also have the equipment,knowledge and tools to diagnose and fix my cars so I just have to buy the parts if something does happen.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've been driving a good number of years and I've always did my own oil and brake jobs on all my cars. I think you get a bonus by doing it yourself. 1st you save money (and yes it's worth my time). 2nd you get to know your car and will see other things that may or may not need maintenance regardless of what the service shop says. 3rd you get satisfaction. 4th you on an equal playing field when talking to the service people when needed.http://fiestafaction.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

With that said, it's always good to have a trusted garage or service shop that you can get to know on a first name basis. Everybody needs them sooner or later. And if they know you trust them they will treat you very good. Besides, today's cars are harder and harder to work on by the "weekender" mechanic. But oil is at least one of those few items you can still do yourself. Brakes are easy but I don't like doing drums!http://fiestafaction.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

Opps, forgot to give my 2 cents about extended coverage. Its not worth it! I did it once and wasted my money. They will do everything in their power to circumvent the warranty.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've been driving a good number of years and I've always did my own oil and brake jobs on all my cars. I think you get a bonus by doing it yourself. 1st you save money (and yes it's worth my time). 2nd you get to know your car and will see other things that may or may not need maintenance regardless of what the service shop says. 3rd you get satisfaction. 4th you on an equal playing field when talking to the service people when needed.http://fiestafaction.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

With that said, it's always good to have a trusted garage or service shop that you can get to know on a first name basis. Everybody needs them sooner or later. And if they know you trust them they will treat you very good. Besides, today's cars are harder and harder to work on by the "weekender" mechanic. But oil is at least one of those few items you can still do yourself. Brakes are easy but I don't like doing drums!http://fiestafaction.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

Opps, forgot to give my 2 cents about extended coverage. Its not worth it! I did it once and wasted my money. They will do everything in their power to circumvent the warranty.
Just remember if you do the oil changes yourself ,or anywhere else other than the dealer, to keep good records of when it was done and at what mileage. This can be done online also Site Benefits | Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owners | FLMowner.com. Also keep your reciepts for the purchase of the oil and filters. This may all come in handy if something happens to the engine because in order for it to be fixed under warranty they need to see that the car was maintained correctly.

I don't have any problem fixing any car under warranty as long as the part that needs to be replaced is covered. Every part has a part number and it doesn't matter if it is Fords warranty or an aftermarket warranty company that is how it is decided wether or not the part is covered. If you put the part number in and the warranty company ( Ford or others )doesn't cover it then it isn't covered. As I said before, Ford usually has a lot more coverage than ANY aftermarket company.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I don't keep receipts of oil and filters, but I do keep receipts of more major maintenance costs an I keep a log book in the car that I record all my fuel fill-ups oil/filter changes and all other maintenance I do, or have done to the car.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't keep receipts of oil and filters, but I do keep receipts of more major maintenance costs an I keep a log book in the car that I record all my fuel fill-ups oil/filter changes and all other maintenance I do, or have done to the car.
I know for some other auto manufacturers they WANT to see what you bought and put into your car, even if it's as minor as oil and filter. I have heard of warranty claims being tossed out by someone at companies because of the one time they used a non-OEM filter.

In most cases, you have to show that you used the "right" parts and fluids to spec. If you don't keep the receipts for oil and filter changes, then there is a chance that you could get that one person who may think you used the wrong things causing the failure.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I know for some other auto manufacturers they WANT to see what you bought and put into your car, even if it's as minor as oil and filter. I have heard of warranty claims being tossed out by someone at companies because of the one time they used a non-OEM filter.

In most cases, you have to show that you used the "right" parts and fluids to spec. If you don't keep the receipts for oil and filter changes, then there is a chance that you could get that one person who may think you used the wrong things causing the failure.
I see you are trying to steer me to only buy Ford OEM parts. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
You've been HAD!!!!

You yourself indicated that you were "lobbied hard" to purchase this "maintenance package"

Why in the world would you cave in if you had suspicions...

I'd go back to the GM and have it removed from the deal!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I see you are trying to steer me to only buy Ford OEM parts. :rolleyes:
Nope. :) It's entirely up to you what parts or fluids you put onto the car. The warning is really that you have to be aware of the parts and fluids you put on/in your car, and that IF a problem comes up that you can show those parts "meet" or "exceeds" Ford's specification.

Scenario

Service Personnel: Sir, we believe your engine isn't working because of the generic oil and oil filter you had put in your car. So, Ford isn't covering the cost of a new engine, and you're on the hook for all the repair costs.

You: Are you nuts? Brand X oil is in there, and so is Brand Y filter.

Service Personnel: Sir, I can't tell what oil you have in there right now. How do I know that you didn't use some cheap oil that doesn't meet Ford specifications? And, your filter doesn't show who its made by. So, you just used a no-name filter that doesn't do the job. Ford isn't paying for a new engine when you put in/on the wrong stuff and messed things up.

You: But it's Brand X oil and Brand Y filter! I told you. It meets Ford specs. There's nothing wrong with what oil or filter that was put into my car.

Service Personnel: Okay. Bring in your receipts that you bought Brand X oil and Brand Y filter, and those were put in/on your car.

You: Um...I didn't keep the receipts showing I bought the oil and filter. But I have a log of when I last changed them - at x,xxx miles. Just like Ford said to do it at.

Service Personnel: Well sir, without those receipts showing you bought that filter and oil, you can't show what oil you put into your car and what filter you used. There's nothing in the oil saying it's Brand X oil. The filter doesn't have anything showing it's Brand Y filter. Sorry, but how will you be paying - cash? credit? :p

Basically, keeping receipts makes your case stronger if an issue comes up. That's what I'm really saying.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts

Basically, keeping receipts makes your case stronger if an issue comes up. That's what I'm really saying.

The "Moss-Magnuson Act"

Does give you quite a bit of protection when using after market parts as long as they are the correct application for your vehicle...while you don't NEED to keep all your receipts for such products it IS a great idea...

If I was going after market for oil and air filters for the Fiesta I would recommend Mahle brand air and oil filters.....they may even be OEM for FoE products. The stuff they make is the highest quality, much better than Fram or Purolator in general for about the same price if you order online.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We did opt out of the Maintenance Plan.

I went to the dealer to talk to the service department. They had no idea what the Ford recommended/proscribed maintenance schedule was. What they did have was a three-tiered option for each "recommended" service interval. On the menu for each of these was the list of services provided at each level. For instance, for the 30K service, the costs were $300, $600, and $900. I can't quote what each tier involved, but the menu was a sales tool to induce the customer to pay for "premium" services.

Nobody knew that the car had an oil service counter. Nobody knew that the interval was 10K. I had suggestions for the first oil change that ranged from 1K to 10K, but they scheduled us for our first "free" change in three months, without respect to miles driven. The only thing that seemed to be a common thread was that the dealership's position was that 5K was their recommended interval.

And that was just oil changes.

Soo...we opted out.

I've since read in the manual that Ford offers a standard service agreement that is available that just covers maintenance, not wear items. I was not offered that option, even as a "drop down" sale.

Overall, I found the whole thing to be an unfortunate introduction to the dealership's approach to service.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Moss Magnuson Warranty Act...

The "Moss-Magnuson Act"

Does give you quite a bit of protection when using after market parts as long as they are the correct application for your vehicle...while you don't NEED to keep all your receipts for such products it IS a great idea...

If I was going after market for oil and air filters for the Fiesta I would recommend Mahle brand air and oil filters.....they may even be OEM for FoE products. The stuff they make is the highest quality, much better than Fram or Purolator in general for about the same price if you order online.
He is exactly right...for those of you who did not choose to attend college, and study business law, and or business management, one of the first things you learn about is in fact, the Moss Magnuson Warranty Act Here is the full text for your reading enjoyment!

Fair Use The United States Federal Trade Comission

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

·
Banned
528 Posts
This is not difficult people.

First of all that little book in the little black cloth covered binder in the glove box has all of the guidelines in simple to read, although long winded english.

For those of you who prefer, you can download it from the Motorcraft website.

It doesn't matter if you get your oil changed at Wal Mart, they still have to honor your warranty. In fact, at Wal Mart, you can choose Motorcraft Oil AND Filter...you can even go select it off of the shelf and carry it up to the counter at the Tire and Lube express. Keep the receipt. I personally have it done at my dealer because they match Wal Mart's price, and it keeps it in the computer at the dealer, but as the previous post said, you can enter the info for yourself into the computer at the "myford" website and keep track of it that way. Some dealers even upload the info to the site if you are registered. But if you go the Wal Mart or Valvoline or Penzoil or any of the other quick lube places, just keep your receipt and select a name brand oil in the correct weight. As long as you stick with a franchise and keep your receipt/work order you will be fine, they all itemize the parts they use.

The ONLY thing I would really be vigilant about is COOLANT....make sure they don't mix coolants. That could cause damage. The late model Focus has the Ford Gold antifreeze, the Fiesta has the Dex Cool equivalent...so be careful with that. When it comes time for a flush....or if you blow a hose and have to refill be sure and check the owners manual and MAKE SURE you get the right coolant....Depending on what part of the country you are in you don't want to be mixing your own antifreeze due to hard/soft water that can leave deposits. You can go to any Autozone/Pep Boys etc and get Motorcraft Orange which is what I believe it is called...but CHECK YOUR BOOK! The way things are changing on this car, they could make a change.

As far as oil goes, just stick with the national brands, (oil and filter) and you can't go wrong. I think even LMT will agree with me on that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts