Fiesta Faction banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wanted to improve the handling a bit and keep it simple because this is my daily commuter. I wanted to keep it cheap and not go too low with this car. By the way, the only better aftermarket non-coilover upgrade for the Fiesta right now is the Koni STR.T dampers (as far as I've seen). If you were to only install lowering springs with the stock dampers, the ride would quickly degrade and you will be bouncing down the road in only a few thousand miles. ...but that's a whole other discussion.

I ordered the FRPP kit and a set of Konis.
I wanted to use the FRPP springs with the Koni dampers but the FRPP spring and perch on the front struts differ from stock. The FRPP spring is smaller in diameter and the FRPP spring perch has a step in it where the bottom of the spring fits into. The OEM spring perch is flat. The Koni spring perch is designed the same as OEM. I could have just ordered some Eibach Pros and sold the FRPP kit but that would get more expensive and too low for what I want. I have Eibach Pros with Bilstein Sports on my Focus ST and I love them but I'm not going there with the Fiesta.

I sent the Konis back. Installing the FRPP kit was a no-brainer.

Fordracingparts123 had the best deal: http://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com...-packs/2011-12-fiesta-handling-pack-m-fr3-fa/

The kit comes with new bump-stops but you have to use the OEM top mounts to assemble the FRPP spring/strut. The rear shocks come assembled with new upper mounts and bump-stops installed and ready to swap. The instructions say to use new bolts and nuts. What I found is that they are kind of soft and they could round out easily which explains why they want you get new ones. They are lower quality- be careful.

If you have never done a spring/strut swap before, don't fret too much. It's pretty easy to do. Watch a couple of YouTube videos on similar cars and you have it made. You can borrow a spring compressor from an auto parts store with a deposit. It gets refunded when you bring it back.

When you take the fronts out, mark the orientation of the mount before you take it apart so you can put it back together and re-install it the same.
For the rears, after you remove the shocks, the springs come out easily without the need for the spring compressor.

Instructions: http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-FR3-FA.pdf

Opinions on how well a vehicle handles with any upgrades are greatly variable based on experience, driving styles, road surfaces, moods, etc so I will spare you that. Based on my experience, having done several track days in the past, current Focus ST owner, Octane Academy student, and Mustang GT school- I like it. Now the car is MUCH more fun to drive, more stable at freeway speeds and looks better, too.
Your mileage may vary.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I’m gonna have to buy that lmao

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice job! Do you think it decreases load carrying capacity at all? I’m considering the same setup but my only holdback is that I often carry a lot of cargo around in my fiesta. What’s your experience so far with heavy cargo and the FRP suspension?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice job! Do you think it decreases load carrying capacity at all? I’m considering the same setup but my only holdback is that I often carry a lot of cargo around in my fiesta. What’s your experience so far with heavy cargo and the FRP suspension?
You should be fine. You’ll have more sag, but I’ve hauled 300-400 pounds in the back without bottoming. Steep entries and exits take some common sense, but otherwise... my Fiesta’s done well.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

21 - 25 of 25 Posts